Sponsored by:

More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 07:40 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yeah, I think my bar is close to 60" (Precision with extender) and I weigh over 200 pounds...
I think the adapter is the best $42 I've spent on tools -- certainly the best (only?? lol) cheap part or tool I've bought so far.

I break the nuts with the big long bar pretty easily and I do this solo using a spreader/clamp to manage break pressure once the car is in the air. Before the getting the adapter I couldn't believe normal people would sign up to do the job.

As for feedback on the gadget. Serious cool factor points...makes the geek in me smile. But I'd be with what seems like the majority so far: unless you get the cost of the gun and a set of nuts down to $3500 or so I think it's going to be hard to pull the trigger. $6k is certainly going to make me think that the manual tools work well enough. Oh and for calibration, I'm a track guy. I have AP Racing brakes on my car expressly so I can service my own brakes quickly and easily. I flip pads every time between track days to even out wear for example. In other words I pull wheels off the car regularly and buy my paste in the big tins instead of the little tubes Any assertion that all track peeps are going to go for this automatically even if it's a package over $5k might be a tad optimistic

And by the way, I seriously hope that sets of nuts are going to be available standalone without the gun (think: multiple cars and also wear replacements). I assume that must be in the plan but I don't think I saw that mentioned anywhere yet.
The following users liked this post:
GrantG (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 08:44 PM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 94 Posts

I love the innovation. The gun is fairly slow so there doesn't appear to be a speed benefit compared to current solutions. Non-OEM nuts along with a $6k price tag are limiting factors.

Lets see what the pricing is when they actually bring it to market.

Last edited by FLACHT6_pilot; 07-09-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:13 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I agree, it could be very useful. However, being averse to risk, which is why I drive Porsche on the race track (and not Corvette), I personally would wait for a couple of years after introduction to see how the amateur racers like them, and verify that there are no problems with the nuts.
They've done a bunch of stress testing and I know Dundon was driving with them installed on the track. I wouldn't think you would have any more issues than you would with the OEM, but I'm not an engineer.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:14 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Wind911
So the outer ring is held in place by friction as a counter force at first when you start loosening the nut then you just hold the gun firmly rest of the way. Pretty smart design.

will the standard center lock socket fit over the modified nut for emergency use? Doesn’t look like it will.

also I will assume all factory warranty will be void in the hub /wheel bearing/wheel carrier etc.
Yes the standard socket does fit. It's shown in Matt's video that it does. And no issue once you are out of warranty anyway so maybe some will wait until the car is out of warranty.

Last edited by mwar99; 07-09-2021 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:53 PM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 65ac408
No, they don't.
Yes, they do. Clearly others are aware of it as shown in the thread.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,149 Likes on 2,904 Posts

Originally Posted by avusm3
I love the innovation. The gun is fairly slow so there doesn't appear to be a speed benefit compared to current solutions.
There is definitely a speed advantage, since you just attach the tool to torque - loosen 90 degrees - re-torque without doing anything buy holding the button. Compare that to torquing with torque wrench, loosening 90 degrees with breaker bar, and retorquing with torque wrench again (and if you have only one socket - moving it back and forth between the tools).
Old 07-10-2021, 01:33 AM
thunderdent
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting tool. I watched the whole video today and it definitely piqued my interest.

My personal biggest issue is there aren’t any dealerships close to me, So my servicing, brakes, wheels, tires, etc will all be done at either my Audi/Merc dealer (whom I have a close relationship with), or at one high end euro private shop. I’d assume they all use breaker bars where needed, and hopefully they know the Porsche procedure.

I know people that truck their cars the 2.5 hrs to the closest dealers to service and back.

id say I’d just drive it there myself, but my RS is already out of warranty, so it doesn’t make much sense to when I have closer options.

This tool, while cool, would literally be only worth it at any price if you tracked your car 4+ times a season, and you swapped wheels/brakes/pads on your own.

I also agree with non-OEM part, and color.

Hell, I’m trying to swap my R8 to LMS CenterLocks (prob a stupid idea, but it’s an LMS build I’m doing). And I’ve said no to 2 different aftermarket options there as well.

Last edited by thunderdent; 07-10-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:42 AM
65ac408
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by krell
Yes, they do. Clearly others are aware of it as shown in the thread.
The Milwaukee impact wrench discussed above is not "a gun similar to this" and should never be used on the street variant of any GT car. Easily searchable topic if you're interested in learning why.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:07 AM
FLACHT6_pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
There is definitely a speed advantage, since you just attach the tool to torque - loosen 90 degrees - re-torque without doing anything buy holding the button. Compare that to torquing with torque wrench, loosening 90 degrees with breaker bar, and retorquing with torque wrench again (and if you have only one socket - moving it back and forth between the tools).
Compared to using something like a Renntorq there is no speed advantage.

The Lion gun is fairly slow (rotation speed under load is only 4.1 revolutions/minute, i.e. 15 seconds per revolution)

https://hytorc.com/lion-gun

I have first hand experience with one in a high torque application and it's pretty slow under load.

Last edited by FLACHT6_pilot; 07-10-2021 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:06 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,149 Likes on 2,904 Posts

Originally Posted by avusm3
Compared to using something like a Renntorq there is no speed advantage.

The Lion gun is fairly slow (rotation speed under load is only 4.1 revolutions/minute, i.e. 15 seconds per revolution)

https://hytorc.com/lion-gun

I have first hand experience with one in a high torque application and it's pretty slow under load.
Only if you’re using a Stahlwille or other torque wrench that can also be used as a breaker bar - then I agree. Then you’d still have a speed advantage in not needing the brake pedal depressed though. But not a big deal with respect to time, I guess.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:58 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 650 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
I only watched the first 6-8 minutes: so, you can't use the standard Porsche OEM senterlock nuts/bolts while using this device? That would seem like a no-go at any price. Since Porsche had such a problem with these center lock nuts coming off during the initial years, I would hesitate to use another company's center lock nuts. . I would want clearance by the Porsche engineers before using an aftermarket center lock nut.
This 100000 percent is THE issue. Using a non factory nut on the car and expecting either Porsche to play along or ANY insurance company to compensate if there is any issue surrounding these. Porsche AG unfortunately also watch YouTube/Rennlist and I can tell you if a car rolls in with this non-OEM nut on it and there is ANY axle, transmission, or ANY damage back there they will not cover it and likely brand the Vin. It sucks but I can tell you with Porsches center lock past they won’t wait on the sidelines to do this and like;y are watching very very closely.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:05 PM
HRJ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
This 100000 percent is THE issue. Using a non factory nut on the car and expecting either Porsche to play along or ANY insurance company to compensate if there is any issue surrounding these. Porsche AG unfortunately also watch YouTube/Rennlist and I can tell you if a car rolls in with this non-OEM nut on it and there is ANY axle, transmission, or ANY damage back there they will not cover it and likely brand the Vin. It sucks but I can tell you with Porsches center lock past they won’t wait on the sidelines to do this and like;y are watching very very closely.
Porsche would have to prove that the nut itself or installation of the nut would have caused a failure of those items to legally defend denying warranty. Being a dealer operator, I've experienced this firsthand.
Old 07-10-2021, 02:45 PM
achenator
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by HRJ
Porsche would have to prove that the nut itself or installation of the nut would have caused a failure of those items to legally defend denying warranty. Being a dealer operator, I've experienced this firsthand.
most people are not going to try to chase this legally. Porsche's legal would bury average joe and their lawyer with paperwork.
Old 07-10-2021, 03:42 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,196 Posts

I'm not a CL owner, but for those considering it, I'd recommend trying to divide the cost among friends. It's unlikely that everyone needs the tool on the same day. If you have 2-3 friends within an hour drive of you that all have CL wheels, then I think spending $1-2k per person is more manageable.

People do this with Durametric/other scan tools.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (07-12-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 04:49 PM
HRJ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by achenator
most people are not going to try to chase this legally. Porsche's legal would bury average joe and their lawyer with paperwork.
Again, I've seen this firsthand from a dealer operator perspective. It doesn't usually go the way you are describing.

Quick Reply: More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks