Sponsored by:

More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 03:16 AM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,006 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
The Hytorc guys reached out to me to put this out there to gauge interest. Joel was pretty tight lipped about pricing because they haven't done the analysis on what this will cost to produce. I'm sure they know the tool well. The regular version of the tool they sell in other industries retails for $4800. Then we need the socket and 4 new replacement nuts. My guess is that this will retail around $6,000. I know many won't buy it at that price, but I would knowing I plan to have a GT Porsche for the rest of my life (God willing...). My guess is there are many others that would do so as well. I did make a strong case that if this could be done for sub $3500, that almost all mechanically included Porsche centerlock owners would buy it. Hytorc is watching and will most certainly be putting pen to paper and doing some calculations on how many they think we can sell. The more that can be sold, the lower the retail.
997 3RS owner, sharing my thoughts. I agree $3,500 I'd buy in a second and I just ordered a set of 5 lug wheels to remove center lock from my car. For me 4k or less Id likely do it. Anything over that its just too much I'd rather pay for 5 lug swap and just not deal with the centerlocks.

One of the tough things against a tool like this is I would say a lot of owners of CLs wont ever want to change wheels themselves. You need an owner who owns an expensive CL Porsche and is also willing to tinker with it themselves. I wonder how many CL owners ever change their own wheels. I wouldn't be surprised if it was less 50%. That would be an interesting data point for Hytorc.

Last edited by Elliotw44; 07-09-2021 at 03:33 AM. Reason: added some addtional thoughts
The following 3 users liked this post by Elliotw44:
fijibubba (07-09-2021), joejenie (07-09-2021), Money2536 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 03:20 AM
pet2065
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 28 Posts

$3-4k - yes, $5k - ugh, $6k - :-(

But I get it, it really makes the PIA process of a center lock wheel as easy as working with 5-lug wheels and an impact tool / torque wrench.

I don't think twice about removing wheels on any of my other vehicles but I do on my 992 TTS.

Value is a funny thing...cost of a new Porsche is palatable - but $5k+ for a tool to work on it...

The long term investment when having multiple center lock vehicles (concurrently or consecutively), or considering how often you remove center lock wheels, makes sense.

Old 07-09-2021, 07:49 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

2 of my buddys use the Milwaukee electronic impact gun on their GT3's and Cup Cars, I recall its 1200 bucks and they are using every other weekend at the track on their cars which seems to work well. The milwaukee looks the same as above with LED / Bluetooth connections and configurable, Ive used it when helping one of them change wheels quickly.

I don't get these expensive tools when other exist much cheaper.
The following users liked this post:
hellboy_mcqueen (11-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 09:23 AM
CustomPerformanc
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm only 5 minutes into the video, but they have already answered most of my questions (and a few others have listed above). The castle configuration on their proprietary CL nuts gives the gun something to push on to apply the torque which seems like a great idea. That's something you don't get when using a standard impact gun for this application (thus the need for the torque multiplier). They also mention it relieves the side load that's applied by the standard breaker bar/torque wrench set up. I sort of question whether that's really a problem or not though. In theory I agree with that being helpful, but it would be interesting to see a longevity study done on wear and tear from using this tool versus the traditional tool. It definitely sounds logical to say it prevents wear and tear, I'm just not sure if that wear and tear is enough to be an issue until the 100th wheel swap. I'm kind of in agreement with everyone else above. Get the price down sub $4K and you will probably sell quite a few. Last time I removed my front wheel to patch a nail in the tire I recall dreading breaking out all the crap to take the wheel off (breaker bar, torque wrench, wood clamp to apply the brakes, centerlock tool from the frunk, etc.).
ezinternet (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

After hundreds of uses I'm perfectly content with the RENNtorq tool, and would hesitate to use an aftermarket centerlock nut. This is overkill.
The following 3 users liked this post by bluehorseshoe:
FLACHT6_pilot (07-09-2021), KOAN (07-10-2021), Larry Cable (01-21-2023)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:59 AM
twk63
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by pet2065
$3-4k - yes, $5k - ugh, $6k - :-(
+1

I’m a buyer at $3,500 but not higher
Rick GT3 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 11:03 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
After hundreds of uses I'm perfectly content with the RENNtorq tool, and would hesitate to use an aftermarket centerlock nut. This is overkill.
The use of an aftermarket centerlock nut was the deal breaker for me. Probably an overreaction but that is a part i am very leery going aftermarket.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:28 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2-Rotor
This tool i assume would have to be sent out to be calibrated after so many use cycles or time intervals??
It will. I talked to them about having a program where they email you a label, send it in for calibration, and they return it. I think that would be a few hundred bucks, maybe a little less. Once a year is what Hytorc recommends.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:40 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

hsb1001; this the one ya'll used?:

The Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1in. D-Handle High Torque Impact Wrench Kit with One-Key™ is the worlds first cordless 1in. High Torque Impact Wrench. The Powerstate™ brushless motor delivers up to 2000 ft./lbs. of Nut-Busting Torque and 1500 ft./lbs. of fastening torque
Old 07-09-2021, 11:53 AM
hsb1001
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo

The Milwaukee M18 FUEL 1in. D-Handle High Torque Impact Wrench Kit with One-Key™ is the worlds first cordless 1in. High Torque Impact Wrench. The Powerstate™ brushless motor delivers up to 2000 ft./lbs. of Nut-Busting Torque and 1500 ft./lbs. of fastening torque
I will check this weekend when at the track, it looks similar but I don't recall the side handle unless its an add on. Seen so many Race Teams/DE folks etc all use the cheaper Milwaukee tool on center locks.

I just don't get thousands of dollars on something that can be done for far less, just like a buddy of mine that spend 12k on a hub alignment setup and we told him he could have got the same setup for 4k that did the same thing but a different brand.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:08 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo

The problem with that is it says “Impact Wrench”. You can’t use an impact wrench on the Centerlock bolts - the hammering is forbidden.

Real Centerlocks like those on Cup cars are designed for Impact - the street cars specifically forbid it. The parts are totally different (racing centerlocks are designed to be beaten up and replaced frequently - the street cars' version are not and have the special locking mechanism in the center).

Last edited by GrantG; 07-09-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:12 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
The problem with that is it says “Impact Wrench”. You can’t use an impact wrench on the Centerlock bolts - the hammering is forbidden.

Real Centerlocks like those on Cup cars are designed for Impact - the street cars specifically forbid it.
Personally, I would only use something like this to loosen the nut, and never to tighten it: stick with the manual torque wrench for tightening...but I don't see how using an impact wrench would make a difference for loosening.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:18 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by hsb1001
I will check this weekend when at the track, it looks similar but I don't recall the side handle unless its an add on. Seen so many Race Teams/DE folks etc all use the cheaper Milwaukee tool on center locks.

I just don't get thousands of dollars on something that can be done for far less, just like a buddy of mine that spend 12k on a hub alignment setup and we told him he could have got the same setup for 4k that did the same thing but a different brand.
Is Milwaukee gun an impact type gun?

Cup car center lock nut can be used with an impact gun. Cup service menu indicates replace the nut after 6 hours of service life. Race teams probably stretch that interval a littler longer.

street center locks/hubs are of totally different design construction and Porsche says never to be used with an impact.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:19 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,948 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by WP0
Personally, I would only use something like this to loosen the nut, and never to tighten it: stick with the manual torque wrench for tightening...but I don't see how using an impact wrench would make a difference for loosening.
It will be worse on loosening - takes more force to break loose than tighten. The high force hammering will quickly destroy the centerlock bolts (and they aren't cheap and disposable like the Cup version) and the potential damage to the locking mechanism makes it very unsafe.

Last edited by GrantG; 07-09-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:24 PM
WP0
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
It will be worse on loosening - takes more force to break loose than tighten. The high force hammering will quickly destroy the centerlock bolts (and they aren't cheap and disposable like the Cup version).
Do you really think it would make a difference loosening with an impact wrench? As it is, I bounce on my 4-5 ft breaker bar for a minute or two to loosen the centerlock nut / bolt. Couldn't a fraction of a second of higher force be possibly more effective? I suppose we need a mechanical stress engineer to explain the differences.

Quick Reply: More info on fancy electric tool for Centerlocks