Sponsored by:

The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 04:44 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I paid $240k for my miami blue .2 3RS as CPO with 13k miles on it. Paid $207k MSRP for the 992 GT3 brand new. I think the 3RS is the better value for the dollar, the better car, and will hold value better in the long run.

991 is a bit underappreciated at the moment because a lot of guys want the latest thing, under the assumption that newest is always better. It's not.

Porsche is just slowly acclimating everyone to bigger, more refined, more digital cars, but not everyone really wants bigger, more refined, more digital. There's nothing luddite in preferring a smaller, rawer, more analog sports car, given these cars are meant for fun on road and track, not commuting or racing.
True - I drove a friends new 992 GT3 the other day. Great car, you can feel the difference in suspension, very smooth almost luxury feeling. Doesn't hold a candle to my 3RS with the full Dundon kit and just got the Mengineering tune both ECU and TCU to finally compliment the Dundon power kit. 3RS is completely transformed. The alive feeling/feedback it gives you is unmatched along with visceral feeling of driving it.
The following users liked this post:
Riptide (12-15-2023)
Old 12-14-2023, 06:18 PM
john tanglewood
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dguth
The Miami Blue 3RS all day! Funny how this forum tries to chew down the value of the .2 RS especially in Miami Blue when the new RS is going for over $450k and 992 GT3 Tourings are still close to $300k.... It's all relative based on the unique car you're trying to buy or wish you had.
Was hoping you'd say that as I am thinking of pulling the trigger..
Old 12-14-2023, 07:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I paid $240k for my miami blue .2 3RS as CPO with 13k miles on it. Paid $207k MSRP for the 992 GT3 brand new. I think the 3RS is the better value for the dollar, the better car, and will hold value better in the long run.

991 is a bit underappreciated at the moment because a lot of guys want the latest thing, under the assumption that newest is always better. It's not.

Porsche is just slowly acclimating everyone to bigger, more refined, more digital cars, but not everyone really wants bigger, more refined, more digital. There's nothing luddite in preferring a smaller, rawer, more analog sports car, given these cars are meant for fun on road and track, not commuting or racing.
Originally Posted by Dguth
True - I drove a friends new 992 GT3 the other day. Great car, you can feel the difference in suspension, very smooth almost luxury feeling. Doesn't hold a candle to my 3RS with the full Dundon kit and just got the Mengineering tune both ECU and TCU to finally compliment the Dundon power kit. 3RS is completely transformed. The alive feeling/feedback it gives you is unmatched along with visceral feeling of driving it.
Base MSRP of the 2019 991.2 3RS was $188k, which inflates to about $229k today. By comparison, the current MSRP of the 2024 GT3 is $185k. So, at new prices adjusted for inflation, the 3RS is a MUCH more expensive car, and therefore it SHOULD be a much better car.

On lap times with equal tires, they're pretty close, and the current market prices are also pretty close (albeit used CPO vs new with full warranty). But subjectively, I think the 3RS offers a more engaging experience on road and track, so that's the one I prefer.

Another way to look at it is that, when you adjust the 991.2 3RS prices for inflation (the $225k MSRP on my car inflates to about $275k today, whereas I paid $240k), a used 3RS could be considered a good value with market prices generally being below the inflation-adjusted MSRP.

By contrast, the current market price for the 992 GT3 is way above MSRP, even adjusted for inflation, which I think is overpriced and reflects a bubble.

Last edited by Manifold; 12-14-2023 at 07:42 PM.
fijibubba (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 12:15 AM
john tanglewood
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xec
Keep in mind that car is really not a garage queen

It used to belong to Rennology on IG who did hard track use with the car. Currently owned by an IG influencer who tuned it. Plus he bought it for $250K
Glad I found this post, I was working out a deal with the seller and then discovered the history of the car on this forum. I actually just reached out to Alex (rennology) to see about the condition of the car.

Do you guys think a price of 265k is really worth it for a modified, tuned .2 RS with a lot of track mileage? I mean she looks gorgeous and a PPI would be in order, but seems a little tough to swallow and I'm getting cold feet and considering resetting the search and waiting, or inquiring about a 992 RS.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:35 AM
Xec
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by john tanglewood
Glad I found this post, I was working out a deal with the seller and then discovered the history of the car on this forum. I actually just reached out to Alex (rennology) to see about the condition of the car.

Do you guys think a price of 265k is really worth it for a modified, tuned .2 RS with a lot of track mileage? I mean she looks gorgeous and a PPI would be in order, but seems a little tough to swallow and I'm getting cold feet and considering resetting the search and waiting, or inquiring about a 992 RS.
Porsche Austin sold a nearly identical spec Miami Blue with <3k miles for $275K CPO just a few months ago.

Track mileage is one thing, and it looks like Rennology is a pretty hardcore track rat, but I personally would not even touch a tuned car.

If this was any color other than Miami Blue, would it even fetch $245K? Just look at all the black/lizard/white cars that have been sitting for months
Old 12-15-2023, 01:05 AM
john tanglewood
Advanced

Originally Posted by Xec
Porsche Austin sold a nearly identical spec Miami Blue with <3k miles for $275K CPO just a few months ago.

Track mileage is one thing, and it looks like Rennology is a pretty hardcore track rat, but I personally would not even touch a tuned car.

If this was any color other than Miami Blue, would it even fetch $245K? Just look at all the black/lizard/white cars that have been sitting for months
Indeed, to get <3k mi AND a CPO for similar price....Not sure how this tracked/modded car can compare despite how beautiful it is.

Seller also justifying price due to RSR Rollcage, catless DPs, exhaust, and the tune. Which i'd think would be the opposite. But I guess everyone has to make their buck.
fijibubba (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 04:24 PM
fxmixer
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 75 Posts

Indeed, to get <3k mi AND a CPO for similar price....Not sure how this tracked/modded car can compare despite how beautiful it is.

Seller also justifying price due to RSR Rollcage, catless DPs, exhaust, and the tune. Which i'd think would be the opposite. But I guess everyone has to make their buck.
Too many unknowns with a car that's been modified and driven so hard.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:05 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 776 Posts

If you reveal that your GT3RS has a tune on it, you will lose 50%+ of buyers or get lowballed. That simple. Exhaust/roll cage/etc is fine.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:14 PM
GTZee
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
If you reveal that your GT3RS has a tune on it, you will lose 50%+ of buyers or get lowballed. That simple. Exhaust/roll cage/etc is fine.
Agree but wouldn’t roll cage deter some buyers as they will think the car was likely tracked? I know some people put the cage in for show and say never tracked but verdict is out on that one.

we all know the cars are meant to be tracked and come from factory with optional cage other then US but I think vast majority of owners never track or have the time and probably want a car not tracked when buying?
Old 12-15-2023, 06:21 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by GTZee
Agree but wouldn’t roll cage deter some buyers as they will think the car was likely tracked? I know some people put the cage in for show and say never tracked but verdict is out on that one.

we all know the cars are meant to be tracked and come from factory with optional cage other then US but I think vast majority of owners never track or have the time and probably want a car not tracked when buying?
I'd say 70%+ of roll cages I've seen in Porsche's here in SoCal have been for show so as long as the rest of the car matches that story I'm okay with it lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by cooler2442:
fijibubba (12-15-2023), GTZee (12-15-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 07:46 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 333 Posts

Also keep in mind, If you buy that car and keep/register it in California it will have to be smogged. Unless the seller goes with the "I have a friend that will get it through smog for 250 bucks" route, the exhaust and tune will likely have to come off to pass smog to be registered. That could be a slight pain in the butt if they don't have a stock exhaust to slap on it and the ability to re-flash the ECU.

I went by and looked at that car 2 months ago (I desperately want one spec'd right) and was turned off by the sellers/dealers attitude. The dealer made no mention of the car being tuned when walking around and describing the car in till I asked if it was, and then he went in to how it ads value to the car. He must be use to dealing with children or the ignorant. It will be a nice car for someone, not me...
Old 12-16-2023, 03:01 AM
Xec
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I can only speak for myself but I think roll cages are ugly and also ruin the bonus practicality of having a bunch of storage space

If I bought a 3RS with one, I’d have it taken out first thing
Old 12-16-2023, 08:49 AM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 916 Likes on 507 Posts

As the years pass, likelihood of finding cars never tracked is diminished. testosterone levels are plummeting but there's still some out there.

Even if you have a suspicion that your new garage queen may have been tracked, that can absolutely be undone with tlc and time. Boar's hair detail from stem to stern, revisit the factory engine break in procedure, low dust ceramic pads, no driving in the rain, car cover between drives. For every month you adhere to this protocol it cancels one past track day.
The following 3 users liked this post by ParadiseGT3:
austingt3 (12-16-2023), john tanglewood (12-16-2023), welikethetrack (12-18-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 09:02 AM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I'd never own one of these cars and not track it, there's simply no road i can fully exploit the capabilities legally or safely like i can on the track. My car gets extra attention due to my 3-4 track days a year, which is all i really need to keep the juices going. If i didn't enjoy the track i'd just buy a Turbo S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brainofjjj:
IRunalot (12-16-2023), Mthrice (12-20-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 10:02 AM
Rod27
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
As the years pass, likelihood of finding cars never tracked is diminished. testosterone levels are plummeting but there's still some out there.

Even if you have a suspicion that your new garage queen may have been tracked, that can absolutely be undone with tlc and time. Boar's hair detail from stem to stern, revisit the factory engine break in procedure, low dust ceramic pads, no driving in the rain, car cover between drives. For every month you adhere to this protocol it cancels one past track day.
can’t undo windshield chips…..except replace the windshield

Quick Reply: The 991 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...