Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS to become a future classic ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019 | 09:47 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Originally Posted by Waxer
991.2 RS is high water mark of 991 era while retaining important classic 911 interior cues especially 5 REAL gauges.

Hey, I've got one. I appreciate your point, but let's be accurate. It's got FOUR real gauges and one real computer screen. Well, in the gauge cluster anyway.
Old 10-11-2019 | 09:56 AM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Hilarious! This thread is very reminiscent of the Performante (think .2 RS) versus LP 580-2 (think GT3/Touring) versus EVO (think 992) over at the Lambo forum. Essentially the same thread, different cars - lol.
Old 10-11-2019 | 01:36 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

There will be a 992 Touring GT3 with manual too.
yeah i think there will be, too. but the point made above about 991.2 touring being the first ever is a good one. there will never be another first-ever gt3 touring. and i also agree with many here that the 992 is butt-ugly.
Old 10-11-2019 | 02:46 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

So if there are “several” of any car for sale they are automatically disqualified from being special?

Interesting.
I cant tell you how many times my Dad was offered carrera GT's when they came out and the couple years following. To "non-enthusiast die hards" it was a punishing ride, scraped on everything and had the wonkiest clutch (awesome racing) that led to a car they couldnt stand driving hahaha

and we know where thats gone...crazy statement from that guy.

ALSO, to play devil's advocate if you were a "non-manual" driver as the younger gens are becoming and you wanted the most raw enthusiast porsche, the 991 is pretty much going to be the go to (NOT THAT I BELIEVE THIS, I DONT! But it's possible)

I don't understand the touring fetish here....You have a 991.2 gt3 manual w/o a wing....if the wings done go up in the future, yours wont either. The car is identical....Do you realize that? Even a stradale's stripe premium makes more sense as it costed a lot new, and it will never be worth WAY more than a non stripe....IT'S AN OPTION!
Old 10-11-2019 | 10:27 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
there will never be another first-ever gt3 touring.
Original is forever.
Old 10-12-2019 | 01:09 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by horns
Have you looked at RS 4.0 pricing?

I just did and they have been just below $400k forever. At some point it was around $550k but I don't believe many or any sold at that price. And we all know the prices on DuPont registry or cars.com or other web-based places are just not real. I know for the fact for example that asking price for 991 GT2 RS in many places are way over MSRP but dealers sell them below once you inquire seriously.

Kevin.
Old 10-12-2019 | 01:13 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by fxz
Enlarge your horizon where all cars (soon) will be hybrid
600 RS made won t fit the classic definition kinda more a museum car

Cars becoming more of hybrid or pure electric type does not bestow any value on any ICE cars. At some point 99.9999% of Toyota Camry's will be junk, would that make the remaining 0.0001% any special? I don't think so. IMO, a car to become a "collector" piece and appreciate in value, it must have a unique history.

Kevin.
Old 10-12-2019 | 01:31 AM
horns
Pro

Originally Posted by kevin1244
I just did and they have been just below $400k forever. At some point it was around $550k but I don't believe many or any sold at that price. And we all know the prices on DuPont registry or cars.com or other web-based places are just not real. I know for the fact for example that asking price for 991 GT2 RS in many places are way over MSRP but dealers sell them below once you inquire seriously.

Kevin.
So if they arent changing hands at 400k, then that tells me the owners value them at 400k. If they were listed at 400k and selling for 300k, that would be a different story. I'd like to have one, but I'm not paying near 400k, and the sellers aren't selling at a point low enough for me to buy. My buy point is not where the market is in these cars.

If sellers arent budging, then it means the ask price is the market price as the sellers value the cars enough not to negotiate.
Old 10-12-2019 | 01:37 AM
kevin1244
Instructor

Originally Posted by horns
So if they arent changing hands at 400k, then that tells me the owners value them at 400k. If they were listed at 400k and selling for 300k, that would be a different story. I'd like to have one, but I'm not paying near 400k, and the sellers aren't selling at a point low enough for me to buy. My buy point is not where the market is in these cars.

If sellers arent budging, then it means the ask price is the market price as the sellers value the cars enough not to negotiate.
But people such as yourself are not budging either! My point is that the ones that are sold are perhaps below this number but you never know. If you ever bought Ferrari's or sold one of your high value cars; I am sure you would understand ... the actual "sold" price is not disclosed.
Remember the $550k days (and some even at $650k); why are they at $400k now? The longer people like you are not buying, the higher the chances the trend from $650k to $550k to $400k continues downwards...
Old 10-12-2019 | 01:51 AM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

Originally Posted by kevin1244
Cars becoming more of hybrid or pure electric type does not bestow any value on any ICE cars. At some point 99.9999% of Toyota Camry's will be junk, would that make the remaining 0.0001% any special? I don't think so. IMO, a car to become a "collector" piece and appreciate in value, it must have a unique history.

Kevin.
Exactly why too many 20k worldwide 991 RS won t be any classic
the same is for the 458

a classic by definition needs a classic manual gearbox and a classic engine and a classic old days but modern style

991 RS has none

991 R has all but what a pity that crap engine

992 R or 992Touring look like a panamera

997 GT are all classic classic engine classic manual

remain in the 991 only the hardtop Touring or covenrtible Speedster
2k touring produced
2k speedsters produced
are the edge of manual
edge of hardtop style or convertible style
edge of NA engine with or without the PF (sorry for the R)
and edge of 911 classic looking

there isn't a 997 touring
none a 996 Touring

wait the 992 Audi Panamera Touring and it will be clear

Last edited by fxz; 10-12-2019 at 02:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019 | 11:46 AM
loungin
Pro

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Hey, I've got one. I appreciate your point, but let's be accurate. It's got FOUR real gauges and one real computer screen. Well, in the gauge cluster anyway.
I like the computer screen though. The 2 gauges at the ends aren’t even in my field of view.

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
yeah i think there will be, too. but the point made above about 991.2 touring being the first ever is a good one. there will never be another first-ever gt3 touring. and i also agree with many here that the 992 is butt-ugly.
how much difference does being “first ever” make? How valuable are the first ever GT3 or GT4 vs subsequent, improved versions?

bu really I just want to be able to put miles on my car economically and if it becomes an appreciating asset I don’t think that will be possible. I want to have access to lots of replacement parts without having to pay a premium for rarity and collectibility. I would like it to retain value better than a normal 911 but I don’t hope for it to appreciate in value.
Old 10-12-2019 | 01:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by loungin
but really I just want to be able to put miles on my car economically and if it becomes an appreciating asset I don’t think that will be possible. I want to have access to lots of replacement parts without having to pay a premium for rarity and collectibility. I would like it to retain value better than a normal 911 but I don’t hope for it to appreciate in value.
I hear you. Owning a car that is appreciating means you really can’t enjoy it.
Old 10-12-2019 | 02:01 PM
azzurri
Racer

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I cant tell you how many times my Dad was offered carrera GT's when they came out and the couple years following. To "non-enthusiast die hards" it was a punishing ride, scraped on everything and had the wonkiest clutch (awesome racing) that led to a car they couldnt stand driving hahaha

and we know where thats gone...crazy statement from that guy.

ALSO, to play devil's advocate if you were a "non-manual" driver as the younger gens are becoming and you wanted the most raw enthusiast porsche, the 991 is pretty much going to be the go to (NOT THAT I BELIEVE THIS, I DONT! But it's possible)

I don't understand the touring fetish here....You have a 991.2 gt3 manual w/o a wing....if the wings done go up in the future, yours wont either. The car is identical....Do you realize that? Even a stradale's stripe premium makes more sense as it costed a lot new, and it will never be worth WAY more than a non stripe....IT'S AN OPTION!
I don't dislike the touring option, nor do I think it is worse than the standard version (which I've owned a few of), but I have trouble understanding why it is viewed as a unique model that has a different trajectory than the same exact standard version. The only real value is to the owner that wants that appearance, and anything speculative beyond that as far as price or rarity is simply not in the area of it being a sizable or limited vehicle (as it is not a distinct vehicle and is instead simply a selection on the model type). It is reminiscent of the Black versions that have been made in that they are fundamentally the same but for certain external appearances. Again no disrespect to the choice to get it but the concept of it having a better desirability in the grand scheme is I think hard to understand.
Old 10-12-2019 | 02:05 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

It’s pixy dust ..............emotions driving value and hype. It’s the car business no wrong or right.
Old 10-12-2019 | 02:54 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by fxz
Exactly why too many 20k worldwide 991 RS won t be any classic
the same is for the 458

a classic by definition needs a classic manual gearbox and a classic engine and a classic old days but modern style

991 RS has none

991 R has all but what a pity that crap engine

992 R or 992Touring look like a panamera

997 GT are all classic classic engine classic manual

remain in the 991 only the hardtop Touring or covenrtible Speedster
2k touring produced
2k speedsters produced
are the edge of manual
edge of hardtop style or convertible style
edge of NA engine with or without the PF (sorry for the R)
and edge of 911 classic looking

there isn't a 997 touring
none a 996 Touring

wait the 992 Audi Panamera Touring and it will be clear
991.2 3RS stands on its own. Conflating total GT production in production number is misleading.

Roughly 1400 .2 3RS in NA. Pretty rare. They made made 1300 plus new FGTs and 4000 Gen II FGTs (with approx 2800 survivors WW) command more than msrp and both will continue to increase in the future.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS to become a future classic ?