Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your 987 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 11:12 AM
synthedup
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified/made a new gear leaver

So I’ve been looking at new weighted gear ***** and I could only fine companies in the US. So I decided to see what I could put together myself with a few universal bits and a bit of machining.

It has made a huge difference to the “notchy” 1st and 2nd and generally feed really nice 👍🏻
Old 03-13-2021, 01:43 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

Spring prepping. Removed seat cushions, vacuumed, and now preparing to do Leatherique (or ColourLock) on the leather. I'm a firm believer in knowing (as much as possible) how your car goes together, and this was the first time I removed the cushions. Easy peasy. Happy Saturday everyone.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by alemaniac
Spring prepping. Removed seat cushions, vacuumed, and now preparing to do Leatherique (or ColourLock) on the leather. I'm a firm believer in knowing (as much as possible) how your car goes together, and this was the first time I removed the cushions. Easy peasy. Happy Saturday everyone.

If your passenger seat doesn’t get frequent use you could swap the cushions between the seats to help equalize the wear between them and give the driver seat foam a break to help decompress. I do this yearly when I do a deep clean on the seats and they have held up great!
Old 03-13-2021, 02:02 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
If your passenger seat doesn’t get frequent use you could swap the cushions between the seats to help equalize the wear between them and give the driver seat foam a break to help decompress. I do this yearly when I do a deep clean on the seats and they have held up great!
I was just thinking about that. Thanks for the tip! I noticed there’s an extra velcroed-in lumbar strip behind the driver back cushion. It should transfer over easily, though.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:18 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,387 Likes on 728 Posts

Ate donuts and thought about washing it

Old 03-14-2021, 10:09 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 115 Posts

Finally had someone explain preload and backlash to me in a way I could understand and got my Guard Gt LSD installed.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:14 AM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Installed my new track pads (PFC 08's), and replaced the air filter and serpentine belt. My '10 Cayman S only has 23K on it, but I didn't see in the service receipts I got with the car that the filter and belt had ever been replaced. Mileage-wise they weren't due, but time-wise they certainly were. Of course both the filter and belt both looked new, so they must have been replaced just before I bought the car!

Last weekend I picked up another set of wheels, and my Falken 660's should be delivered tomorrow, so I'll be set for track duty shortly.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:44 PM
kDub
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

10 year anniversary- change oil - brake flush and manual gear box oil.

Spyder with black steering wheel and spoiler up down button!

Old 03-19-2021, 01:04 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garfunkle
How many hours to install and can you tell behind the wheel?
The LSD was a race team spare with the bearings installed and I got lucky I didn’t have to redo them with shims. I installed it without the ring gear and it spun freely until I torqued the cover and then it was around 8lbs of preload. If the bearings wear out quickly, I’ll know it’s too much. To check for backlash, I put the axles stubs back on and moved them listening for the clank. No clank, and it’s too tight, big clank, and it’s too loose. Small little clank, and the backlash is just right.

For street use, I think an lsd is overkill. On the track, it’s one of the beat dollar for dollar investments. Most people just think about traction coming out of the corner but a clutch pack LSD makes a huge difference on the braking as well. Instead of getting squirrelly in the brake zone the car just squats and sets up for turn in through trailbrake.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:37 AM
ncster
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
For street use, I think an lsd is overkill. On the track, it’s one of the beat dollar for dollar investments. Most people just think about traction coming out of the corner but a clutch pack LSD makes a huge difference on the braking as well. Instead of getting squirrelly in the brake zone the car just squats and sets up for turn in through trailbrake.
Would you say it's a significant improvement over a PTV LSD? I've heard people here say that they would prefer a guard LSD over the torque vectoring, but haven't read any comments on the performance of the LSD itself.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:33 AM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I finally upgraded the non-Bose stereo and speakers. I added a Kenwood receiver and Blam door speakers. What a difference in sound quality.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:45 PM
Barry100
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I like this version of the Spyder better than the new ones! (kDub)
Old 03-20-2021, 09:30 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Posted new PBs my last few track days. 1:43.382 at Laguna in December, Thunderhill East 2 weeks ago (1st time there), and then 1:53.658 last week at Sonoma. I also did some detailing today to clean out the dust.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:08 AM
BigBob
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxsterman
I finally upgraded the non-Bose stereo and speakers. I added a Kenwood receiver and Blam door speakers. What a difference in sound quality.
Can you share details on the speaker upgrades? Sizes? Direct replacement, or were modifications necessary to get the replacements to fit. Much appreciated!
Old 03-21-2021, 11:38 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ncster
Would you say it's a significant improvement over a PTV LSD? I've heard people here say that they would prefer a guard LSD over the torque vectoring, but haven't read any comments on the performance of the LSD itself.
I think the data is probably going to show that a computer combined with an LSD is going to be mathematically quicker than just an LSD. I say mathematically because the quickest lap times are going to be from having the confidence in your car that only comes with predictability. And for me, traction control "mutes" the tires. So I have a little switch in my 987 that cuts the ground wire to the yaw sensor so I can feel what my tires are doing when I'm on a dry track.

But I'm looking for a responsive, mechanical feel that I can use to develop my driving skills and the car itself. Having a computer actively trying to improve my driving would actually cause me not to improve my driving so PTV and all forms of traction control remain outside of my scope. And the scope of most professional racing associations I believe.

And please don't think I'm being a hater. As a geek, I can totally respect trying to use the latest technology to get faster lap times. So if you give it a try and let us know what you think.
The following users liked this post:
tvrbob (06-18-2022)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your 987 today?