Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder value

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by cetro
Craig I did see that, but wanted more options.

I just found and purchased the silver 2012 with 1800 miles . Now the waiting begins
Congrats on the purchase! Looking forward to seeing some pictures and getting your impressions.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 AM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No jvmax, Edwardo nailed it.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Very nicely done. I too saw that come up on their website. I love the guys at Sunset. Their parts dept is top notch too.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
We know 'it' well. Good buy...The Oregon Trail sometimes leads to a Sunset!
WHATTT!! Did Donavan sell a Spyder again???

Merde!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 AM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Afshin, if I look at one more picture of your car, I might trade my carrara white spyder in on the basalt black one in the classifieds. D#mn!! The metallic paint just does something to accentuate the curves. If the pocket book were a little different I could probably be dumb enough to talk myself into having a set.

Tapeworm, the sale link is now down. For two years I've been the only Spyder on this side of the Cascades and have never seen another on the street here in Seattle. Hope to cross paths with you soon.

There's something of a tradition here at Rennlist where you're supposed to post some photos of your new Porsche...

Happy driving.

And to be slightly on topic, if Donavan sold another Spyder I think we might need to stage an intervention!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
And to be slightly on topic, if Donavan sold another Spyder I think we might need to stage an intervention!
I'm stunned. Yes, that was Donavan's Spyder. He sold it after 1.5 months. It was his 3rd.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
I'm stunned. Yes, that was Donavan's Spyder. He sold it after 1.5 months. It was his 3rd.
That's what the dealer told me. Does anyone know the history of this car?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:43 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

That's what the dealer told me. Does anyone know the history of this car?
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/9800388-post133.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ket-seats.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ket-seats.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...rom-today.html

AAaaannnd 3....2....1..... Plavan: that's your cue!

Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Cetro, this previous Rennlist thread will give you the best background/history of the car you have just acquired:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...er-spyder.html

You can also find more information here:

http://www.dspyda.com/Home/Home.html

All of us here sincerely hope that Donavan, regardless of the sale of #5190, continues to support and update his Dspyda website! It contains interesting and valuable information on this unique Porsche model since its introduction a few years ago! Besides the many articles & stories on the Spyder which Donavan has reproduced on this site, individual Spyder owners from various parts of the world have supported it with photographs of their vehicles and stories about their ownership experience! Personally, I wish Donavan success in his next sport car acquisition and hopes he continues to frequent our forum!

Saludos,
Eduardo

Last edited by Z356; 11-05-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

my friends in San Antonio have the Meteor Gray from Detroit Auto Show for sale (again)
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM
cetro
Rennlist Member

The dealer is telling me the car is perfect and now I see this!!!!! Does anyone live close to the dealership that can take a look at it for me?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Seats should be fixed but I'm not sure on the door sills, or scratch on the bumper. Personally i would leave the paint alone.

Can't believe he sold it so soon. He does need an intervention!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:59 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Why does a spyder faithful sell a spyder three times. When I saw that car show up I knew that it was the same car

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 11-05-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Why does a spyder faithful sell a spyder three times...confused:
The dealer is telling me the car is perfect and now I see this!!!!!
Amar and Cetro: Don't get confused or alarmed! We looked with Donavan at the photos he provided in the thread I linked and the consensus among us was that it was not a 'deal breaker'. Donavan's previous two Spyders were bought brand new...and remember he had ordered a brand new 981, which he cancelled to get this third Spyder. So his expectations might have been unrealistic since, regardless the low miles, this car was not new and had been used as a display vehicle by PCNA! It is clear that Donavan was expecting perfection and was disappointed when the car arrived in Portland from Atlanta! Ellis apparently oversold its pristine condition. But not all buyers are as picky as Donavan! Cetro, you are presently looking for a used Spyder and this car will probably meet your expectations as a 'used' Porsche! I think most of us here on Rennlist, in the end, will agree with me that your acquisition of #5190 from Sunset was a very good one! My suggestion is for you (cetro) to take a cheap flight to Portland and see it for yourself so as to remove all doubts. Had Donavan followed this wise advice, he could have avoided these headaches!

The fact that Donavan has owned and sold three Spyders doesn't tell you much about the Spyder...other than the fact that it has held a spell over one individual customer for over nearly three years! His reasons for selling in each case revolve around the particulars of his automotive needs, his finances and timing! There are many folks all over the world that bought a Spyder based on the incredible reviews, the alluring good looks or the incredible experience of the test drives! But in the real world of limited funds and/or limited parking spaces, it is not surprising that some found the Spyder not practical as their everyday car. So they sold it. But I have yet to meet a former owner that doesn't reminisce about the Spyder ownership experience, regardless how brief, or who fails to get nostalgic just thinking about it! Everyone of them knew this was a special car, a unique driving experience, a memory to treasure! The fact is that historians will probably judge this model as ONE of the most significant Porsches ever created! In time, it might be perceived as 'special' as the classic 356 Speedster of the 1950's! And for all of these ex-Spyder owners including Donavan, it will be a case to better to have loved and sold, than not have loved (and not bought) at all!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-05-2012, 08:31 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Well stated Eduardo. There is no question in my mind that the 987 spyder is one of the best handling cars that Porsche has made in years. It certainly is not a car for everyone for various reasons. It is impressive to see so many spydes being sold by Porsche aficionados. I am very much like Donovan in that I expect perfection in any car that I buy. You then end up stressing and worrying about the car and that detracts from enjoying the car.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 11-05-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Spyder value