Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Spyder/Cayman R (https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-cayman-r-265/)
-   -   Spyder value (https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-cayman-r/724218-spyder-value.html)

cetro 10-29-2012 06:19 PM

Spyder value

I'm starting to search for a Spyder and noticed the prices are in the mid to high $60's. Thats almost as much as when they where new. Is that the going prices or am I not searching in the right sites?

ADias 10-29-2012 06:26 PM

I looked at that recently and found that a top condition low miles model sells around $65k. Add $2k for CPO.

cetro 10-29-2012 06:28 PM

How much should a 1 owner 12k mile go for with quite a few options?

f4 plt 10-29-2012 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by cetro (Post 9956240)

Problem you have with a Spyder is that the production run was very small, about 700 total cars for the states in a two year run. that said there are very few for sale and thus they bring what the market will bear. I have had mine for almost a year and it would be hard to part with it. Pure excitement to drive, very nimble and fast. Once you get the hang it is about five minutes to remove or instal both top sections. As a friend that has the only Speed Yellow Spyder has told me very watertight even in a driving thunderstorm with light hail. Top down, fantastic. the car turns heads and is a keeper. While all cars, well most lose value the Spyder seems to be holding its own. When you find one you like grab it and don't let go. Oh there is one problem and that is wiping off the S_ _ t eating grin that will adorn your face when you drive it.

texasviany 10-29-2012 07:37 PM

My Sypder is the first car that I ever owned that I vowed never to part with, and I have owned over 50 new cars. I often search the market and I don't see many coming up.

Pete C 10-29-2012 08:06 PM

Just bought this:

http://www.porschexchange.com/web/us...ition_id=10426

There is a under 2K mile 6 speed manual silver one on ebay for same price range. Winter is coming so it could soften the market a bit.

Marine Blue 10-29-2012 08:18 PM

There are a few currently available with Sport Buckets but the prices are close to original MSRP and they seem to sell quick. There was one posted here on Rennlist which arrived at a dealer and sold within 4 days.

What I find interesting is that very few people have any idea that it ever existed. Many think the changes are custom and others will say they have never seen one before. I personally had never heard of the Spyder until I saw one at a car show back in June of 2011.

I'm with the others, I won't be selling my Spyder either. It is THE PERFECT sports car. The road feel, acceleration, handling and looks are perfection. My plan is to care for it mechanically and cosmetically to the best of my ability. 6000 miles and it still looks brand new.

Good luck with your hunt and let us know if you have any other questions.

cetro 10-29-2012 08:54 PM

Thanks everyone on your input. I do own a 987s and was thinking about selling it for the Spyder. Has anyone here traded up?

Pete, you got a great deal on such a low mileage car!!!

f4 plt 10-29-2012 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also have had way too many cars, PORSCHEs included but the Spyder and my '83 SC track car are keepers

By the way Aqua Marine Blue is the quickest color

medtech 10-30-2012 02:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
^^ NICE!!

stevecolletti 10-30-2012 02:42 AM

There are no bad colors for Spyders (at least I haven't seen one).
I love Aqua Blue on the Spyder, but it didn't work for me on the Cayman.

pjmachineco 10-30-2012 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by f4 plt (Post 9956385)
Problem you have with a Spyder is that the production run was very small, about 700 total cars for the states in a two year run. that said there are very few for sale and thus they bring what the market will bear. I have had mine for almost a year and it would be hard to part with it. Pure excitement to drive, very nimble and fast. Once you get the hang it is about five minutes to remove or instal both top sections. As a friend that has the only Speed Yellow Spyder has told me very watertight even in a driving thunderstorm with light hail. Top down, fantastic. the car turns heads and is a keeper. While all cars, well most lose value the Spyder seems to be holding its own. When you find one you like grab it and don't let go. Oh there is one problem and that is wiping off the S_ _ t eating grin that will adorn your face when you drive it.

I am having a hard time getting rid of that grin even when I am not driving it.
I do not know how I got so lucky, But I am glad I did.

khooni 10-30-2012 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by stevecolletti (Post 9957314)
There are no bad colors for Spyders (at least I haven't seen one).
I love Aqua Blue on the Spyder, but it didn't work for me on the Cayman.

I beg to differ.

Dave I 10-30-2012 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by cetro (Post 9956240)

What are the options?

medtech 10-30-2012 11:24 AM

The prices dipped initially, dropping to the low-mid 60's, then they came back up this spring. My guess is that although few of us knew what the car was really all about in the beginning, a lot of porschephiles have now figured it out. This car is sooo much more than just a facelift, and this type of project is not often undertaken by manufacturers. Add to that, the shockingly low production numbers, and the fact that many will consider it the last great "analog mid-engine porsche" and you have a winner for a slot in P-car history.

Luckily for all of us, Porsche didn't advertise these facts ahead of time, for if they did, this car would have commanded a premium from the get go, and I may never have had a chance to own one. ;)