Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder value

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 725 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Correct me if I am wrong but I really feel that sypder has a more passionate fan base than Cayman R. It surpirsing coz you would expect the CR to be the more hard core group being the more track oriented car. A baby RS is you will.

So Joe, I own a Carrera4S. Does it make me a non-enthusiast
We CR owners spend more time at the track than on the computer.

Although I did own a Spyder in the past. I just felt more comfortable with a thin sheet of tin over my head instead of a thin sheet of cloth. Although with the roll hoops, the Spyder may actually be safer.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
We CR owners spend more time at the track than on the computer.
It is a slow day at the office for me today, but I'm betting you spend more time on the computer at work than me and Amar, Bill.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but I really feel that sypder has a more passionate fan base than Cayman R. It surpirsing coz you would expect the CR to be the more hard core group being the more track oriented car. A baby RS is you will.

Enthusiasm is defined by attitude, not equipment. And the guys who are so consumed with kilograms, lap times, buying mods and changing cars indiscriminately, are somewhat missing the point.

To me, spyder/roadster owners are, in a more traditional sense, more of a purist. The old school definition of a sports car, has no roof. For someone to ignore most practicality to have "cool" and "special" factor, is not a vanity thing, but rather a sensory thing.

Plus for a sports car driver to hide under a roof, he must be 1. ugly 2. has bad taste in music 3. doesn't own a hat.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Enthusiasm is defined by attitude, not equipment. And the guys who are so consumed with kilograms, lap times, buying mods and changing cars indiscriminately, are somewhat missing the point.

To me, spyder/roadster owners are, in a more traditional sense, more of a purist. The old school definition of a sports car, has no roof. For someone to ignore most practicality to have "cool" and "special" factor, is not a vanity thing, but rather a sensory thing.
Once again, well stated!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No, but there are plenty of non-enthusiasts that drive C4Ss.
You got me there

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
So true and very well stated. A very good friend of mine owns a C2S. He has owned this car since 2009 and has done nothing but enjoy the car all round the year. He is such a Porsche cognoscenti yet does not have any desire to load his garage or his car with must have model line up or mods just prove to himself or the rest of the world that he is a true enthusiast. I wish I could be like him.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
And then hyperbole has risen. The Spyder is a Boxster variant for fair-weather only, designed as a minimalist lighter-weight Boxster, and at that with a number of controversial design aspects...
Substitute 'Speedster' for 'Spyder', and '356' for 'Boxster', and you make Eduardo's point. The Speedster's roof is also fiddly and awkward, and designed more for emergency weather protection than daily use. The seats are also narrow and uncomfortable for many. Like the Spyder, the Speedster was only made for a couple years, and in similar volume.

And we are all expecting the 981 Spyder, should it see the light of day, to be like the 356 Convertible D that followed the Speedster - more civilized for daily use and greater sales volume, but missing the special touches that made the original car unique. Values reflect this.

So are those that have sold their Spyders fools to let a coveted classic go? Not really - that is probably 30+ years away.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I fear that because the CR doesn't have the nous of being a special design, it doesn't appeal in the same way. But, it is a better drive and, to me, special as the ultimate 987 driving machine.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:21 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
"that's why manual/buckets are highly prized and to a lesser extent non-AC cars"

Funny, many reviews I read complained how uncomfortable and awkward the bucket seats are for any period of time. They also wear much quicker because of the placement of the stitches on the side bolsters. Dealers didn't like ordering them as they just sat in the showrooms. They have a 'cool factor' I will give you that, and their after-market cost is extreme, but I think this is more to do with supply and demand.

Reviews of non-AC or non-Stereo cars also said these were options you should not skip on if you really wanted to live with the Spyder. Honestly, the difference between a fully stripped Boxster and a fully loaded one (apart from PDK) is less than the weight of a tank of gas - we are talking maybe 2-3% tops. I doubt if a 2-3% weight savings (we are talking the equivalent of under 10hp here), make much difference in the car at all in the real world.

I think what makes the Spyder unique is the whole package, the lack of PASM, the low ride height, the finely tuned suspension, the excellent steering, the tune of the engine, the beautiful rear deck with the GT-like humps. Many reviews said they felt this was the best handling Porsche ever, and those reviews were not reviews of stripped out cars and very often had a passenger in the seat that added 180lb+ to the weight of the car anyway...

Andy
May I humbly suggest that you check actual facts before posting? Yes, I saw your links - and my sentiments mirror Joe's (especially the fat part) and Bill's. No, they're not just for the "cool factor". A fully stripped Spyder's weight savings is more than a full tank of gas... Do you own a Spyder with sport buckets? Or have done extensive driving in one?

BTW, I have no problem with Spyders having AC and radio (or not). I will say, however, that I have yet to use the AC in my Spyder and used it seldomly in the S. To a certain extent, it has to do with what you're expecting from a sports car/roadster and how "pampered" you want to be - Spyder is not a 4,500 lb. Merc or Lexus. But I will admit that I'll most likely feel differently if I lived in AZ, TX, FL, etc.

Last edited by the_vetman; 11-07-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:40 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
I just felt more comfortable with a thin sheet of tin over my head instead of a thin sheet of cloth. Although with the roll hoops, the Spyder may actually be safer.
+1.

There's no doubt at all that CR is a fantastic car and twins with Spyder. However, I'm definitely beginning to think that a stock Spyder with sturdy, thick roll bar is actually safer than a stock CR with no such roll bar (thin roof doesn't count). I keep hearing people say over and over how I "need" a coupe for the track.... not.

If we're talking about torsional rigidity, Excellence magazine's comparo with van Overbeek showed that a Spyder was actually faster around a track than CR. AND, the Spyder weighed more due to differing options. I admit that this is not an exact proof/scientific evidence or anything like that.

Finally, Clinton you're making me thirsty with your repeated single malt comments!! I'm currently out of stock with single malt scotch... cuz I drank it all last week!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by the_vetman
May I humbly suggest that you check actual facts before posting? Yes, I saw your links - and my sentiments mirror Joe's (especially the fat part) and Bill's. No, they're not just for the "cool factor". A fully stripped Spyder's weight savings is more than a full tank of gas... Do you own a Spyder with sport buckets? Or have done extensive driving in one?

Like I said, you won't find a single person here who actually has the sport buckets complaining about them. Rationalize all you want. The reality is that as soon as you see and sit in one, you won't be able to sleep until you have them in your own car. I know this from personal experience.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

the_vetman - 'Do you own a Spyder with sport buckets? Or have done extensive driving in one?'

No, I have a Spyder with heated seats, which was more important to me in a convertible. I took offense to the attitude that anything other than buckets was somehow inferior - I agree, they are a bargain when they come as a zero cost option, but not everyone wants them. I owned an Elise for a couple of years, those seats weight less than half what the Porsche buckets weigh (and you can buy a set for ~$1,500). Part of why I didn't like the Elise was it just wasn't a car I wanted to drive *all the time*, I did the lowest miles on it than any car I have ever owned and decided never to buy a car I didn't feel like driving every day ever again.

A tank of gas weighs about 85lb. Seats+AC+Radio weigh 58lb, you do the math. If you believe you can feel a difference of maybe 2% in the cars weight, good for you. I think driver weight, training, gas quality, tire condition and alignment are likely to have more effect on performance....

I agree, I don't really need AC in the pacific NW, but it's rainy here a lot and it's really useful for demisting the windows. Before getting the Spyder I looked at a lot of 997 GTS Cabs - a surprising number of which were ordered without heated seats (A $500 option in a $120,000+ car!) - many of those cars sit in dealerships for many months before being sold at auction. I understand people in Las Vegas or Florida maybe not needing heated seats, but really some options can make it much, much harder to sell your car later...
Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

No, I have a Spyder with heated seats, which was more important to me in a convertible. I took offense to the attitude that anything other than buckets was somehow inferior - I agree, they are a bargain when they come as a zero cost option, but not everyone wants them. I owned an Elise for a couple of years, those seats weight less than half what the Porsche buckets weigh (and you can buy a set for ~$1,500). Part of why I didn't like the Elise was it just wasn't a car I wanted to drive *all the time*, I did the lowest miles on it than any car I have ever owned and decided never to buy a car I didn't feel like driving every day ever again.

I agree, I don't really need AC in the pacific NW, but it's rainy here a lot and it's really useful for demisting the windows. Before getting the Spyder I looked at a lot of 997 GTS Cabs - a surprising number of which were ordered without heated seats (A $500 option in a $120,000+ car!) - many of those cars sit in dealerships for many months before being sold at auction. I understand people in Las Vegas or Florida maybe not needing heated seats, but really some options can make it much, much harder to sell your car later...
If you're suggesting that having sport buckets will make a spyder harder to sell later, you are nuts.

I personally don't think the spyder is a great everyday car, particularly in the pacific northwest. It's not because of the seats, though. It's because of the manual top. You can't opt out of the manual top. 997 Cab and spyder are totally different cars.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

No, I'm just saying I don't think there is anything wrong with having or not having sports buckets, or that everyone should want them. I don't believe they detract from the essence of what makes a Spyder a Spyder. The weight savings, zero cost option and cool looks are great, but seriously, it's saving the equivalent of about 4 gallons of gas in the tank.

That's why I think it's funny when people say some options are 'Highly Prized' or 'there are no bad options on a Spyder, just bad seats'. I disagree.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

The spyder in the PNW would be a killer coz of the top as you need a second passenger each and every time.

For 9 months a year you never know when it would rain. It's always overcast. Having a helping hand I'm sure would cut the time to spread the
top over the interior in half.

Even as a resident of the greater Seattle area, I am still attracted by the design of the spyder's top and there is no guarantee that the 981 spyder may have the same design for a roof. A/C is a creature comfort and the presence of that option would probably not be a deal breaker for any potential spyder.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

I took offense to the attitude that anything other than buckets was somehow inferior...
A tank of gas weighs about 85lb. Seats+AC+Radio weigh 58lb, you do the math.
Don't take offense from me, at least. I never said all Spyders needed to have sport bucket seats.

Do I personally prefer sport buckets and feel that they correspond with Spyders' essence? Yes. Is it a damn good buy as no-cost option? Yes. Do I think that everyone else needs to have sport buckets or otherwise they're inferior?? No. It is of personal preference, IMO.

We can debate about the weight savings of a "stripped out" Spyder all day long... but I was including no AC, no radio, bucket seats, no bi-xenons, lithium-ion battery, etc., etc. Are these frequently specified options? No. But I was rebutting your statements.

Quick Reply: Spyder value