Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 02:24 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
It doesnt change anything about Sport + other than how it behaves in full auto mode...
thanks for this.
i drive in pdk manual 99% anyway.
Old 04-09-2023, 02:39 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 475 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by jago
but doesnt the recall kill Sport+ altogether?
No, it just lowers the shift points when Sport+ is used in Auto mode.

So they say, anyway. Actually they don't even say that much -- they just say that it will improve emissions but not impact performance, reliability, or economy.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:09 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 81 Posts

I've come across one guy with a 911 4S that went thru reprogramming at a dealership. After the tune and with sports +, the car will not let you rev over 5k rpm. It'll shift automatically for you no matter which mode you're on, auto or manual.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:20 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by chase15
I've come across one guy with a 911 4S that went thru reprogramming at a dealership. After the tune and with sports +, the car will not let you rev over 5k rpm. It'll shift automatically for you no matter which mode you're on, auto or manual.
That doesn’t sound right to me. These engines don’t comes on cam before 5/5.2k rpm. If your info is correct, the guy has a problem unrelated to the recall as designed
Old 04-09-2023, 07:24 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BondJ
That doesn’t sound right to me. These engines don’t comes on cam before 5/5.2k rpm. If your info is correct, the guy has a problem unrelated to the recall as designed
I'm not sure. The car was new to him and he asked me about sports+ function and he said that it won't let him rev above 5k rpm when he is on sports+. I told him about this recall as it's the first thing I thought of that might be related to the issue.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:03 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 313 Posts

I'll keep my 981 the way it is.

FYI. We also have the Cayenne diesel that required "tune" for emissions. No Bueno!
We love our Diesel; but, it has been neutered.

They can keep their $250
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (04-10-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 10:40 AM
jyklee234
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should've researched and read this post but I didn't. I was wondering how your restoration went. I'm also looking for an independent Porsche mechanic. no luck so far.

Originally Posted by jpc570
Well you can declare me the first fool who had this recall performed. I went to local dealer for a “ complimentary inspection” and they decided to throw in the recall. What the reprograming does basically is remove your sport plus switch. Now there is very little difference between the two modes. Sports plus used to be a rush, now nothing. Very disappointing. Fortunately my independent Porsche mechanic will restore my original factory settings next week. Avoid this recall.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:58 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Sport Plus (at least prior to the recall) was almost unusable during normal street driving, but on the track it was pretty good. If it drives better on the street, it's not such a bad thing.

The question is really how it performs on the track. Ideally, if you're pushing the car, it should rev to a high RPM, but if you're giving it easy throttle in low gears (like leaving the grid or driving in the paddock), it would be nice if it shifted earlier. On the track during maintenance throttle, it should maintain gear and not upshift too early. Under heavy acceleration, it should run up near redline like it did prior to the recall.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:20 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Just wanted to report in on this to provide another first-hand knowledge account on this reprogramming recall. I had my 2014 981 CS in for the WKJ3 Tank Leakage Diagnosis Module tech service bulletin work, and while at the Dealer, had them also complete the AMC0 Re-program DME and PDK control units recall as well. Playing with the car on the way home, I didn't notice anything different to the performance of my car in Sport. In Sport Plus, however the shift points were around 4 to 5k rpm rather than redline under less than full throttle. When I mashed the pedal, shifting occurred higher in the rev range, but still before redline. Car still hauled *** under full throttle. Overall, I'm glad I did the PDK/DME reprogram as now I believe that I can drive the car on the street in Sport Plus in auto mode rather than having to shift myself. Won't have a chance to try it out on the track until fall, but predict that I'll still be glad I completed the recall....
Kevin CS (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 08:25 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
Overall, I'm glad I did the PDK/DME reprogram as now I believe that I can drive the car on the street in Sport Plus in auto mode rather than having to shift myself. Won't have a chance to try it out on the track until fall, but predict that I'll still be glad I completed the recall....
I believe it should still automatically shift gear if you leave the shifter in automatic even if you're on Sports+ without the reprogramming. I didn't do this recall and my cars shifts automatically in Sports+ mode if I leave the shifter in auto.

Last edited by chase15; 06-20-2023 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:33 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by chase15
I believe it should still automatically shift gear if you leave the shifter in automatic even if you're on Sports+ without the reprogramming. I didn't do this recall and my cars shifts automatically in Sports+ mode if I leave the shifter in auto.
Before the reprogramming, it'll auto-shift, but as the poster indicated, it runs to redline. After the reprogramming, behavior under moderate acceleration shifts at a more moderate shift point, making the auto-shift more usable on the street.
chase15 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 08:35 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette
Before the reprogramming, it'll auto-shift, but as the poster indicated, it runs to redline. After the reprogramming, behavior under moderate acceleration shifts at a more moderate shift point, making the auto-shift more usable on the street.
This.
chase15 (06-20-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 01:04 PM
RAGS911
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello, I am one of those "victims" that got this update done.
Is thee a way to "backdate" or get the car performing as it was prior to this update?
Old 07-07-2023, 01:41 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGS911
Is thee a way to "backdate" or get the car performing as it was prior to this update?
Technically the SW can be downgraded to the previous version. Problem will be getting the dealer to do it as it an emission related ECU update. Ask. If no, try an indi…
Old 07-07-2023, 04:48 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGS911
Yes, just drive very aggressively in full auto mode in sport + and the behavior will go back to the near redline shifts like before that made the car impossible to drive in full auto mode on the street

Most that drove in sport + on the street manually shifted anyway because it was the only choice, and so it doesnt matter if the update has been done or not for them. Nothing changes on their end and they are still in control of the shifts

For those who like to drive in full auto mode, now have additional ability to do so in sport + mode that they didn't before the update. Drive normal in full auto and you get a normal shift response. Drive aggressive in full auto and it thinks you are on the track and it starts to behave like it did before the update. You have the best of both worlds now that you didn't have before

Last edited by ICNU; 07-08-2023 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ICNU:
Sajan (07-08-2023), Snip's (07-08-2023)

Quick Reply: Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU