Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 05:27 PM
danby
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I'm in CA which is why I'm trying to find a workaround. Any other options other than, not living in CA?

What about going the Cobb AP route? Would that be a viable workaround to be able to switch between stock and AMC0 tunes?
Old 03-02-2022, 06:23 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 299 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by arne
Bear in mind that the word 'voluntary' in the recall title probably means that PCNA is voluntarily performing this recall, as opposed to being mandated by DOT/EPA. It does not mean that PCNA considers this to be an 'optional' item.

It is quite possible that the dealers have been instructed to perform this update on any applicable cars that are brought in for service of any kind. Considering the fines and penalties involved in recent emissions cheats and lapses, it would be wise for PCNA to do everything it can to get as many of the affected cars done as possible.

The stop sale order shows how serious PCNA considers this issue. So I wouldn't be surprised if the dealers are being pressured to get these done.

If so, they've got many 981 owners over a barrel. What if they won't do the rear suspension carrier recall unless all other outstanding recalls are addressed at the same time?
This is what I am afraid of. I have an appt with the dealer for another service and I am worried they will go ahead and do the recall.
I will try to explicitly state not to do it tomm.

It's definitely serious to PCNA since they stopped SOOO many cars from being sold in an insane used market situation.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:29 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

^ Maybe it's the relationship I have with my SA, but I told them I did NOT want to have this recall performed..this was at the dealer in Grapevine, TX. The SA noted it in all caps on the work order for the tech.

Other than asking why I wanted to decline it, there was no 'pressure' to get it done. I got the other 2 recalls performed.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:34 PM
Sajan
Pro

Originally Posted by cheesefries
I have SC - based on what I'm reading there's a sports + button (which I don't have) and the recall for the ECU is to make the S+ button "less fun"
i also saw that my prod date falls under the subframe but doesnt show up when entering into the porsche recall site. i only get the ECU recall.

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AB2A85EK190985/

https://recall.porsche.com/prod/pag/...ReadForm&c=usa
Originally Posted by Noah Fect
If you have SC, there should be a Sport+ button on the console, unless I'm misremembering how the configurator worked back in the day. Was there a way to get Sport Chrono without Sport+ support?
Originally Posted by saabin
Well, one would presume that was his build sheet he posted in that link, which shows it as having SC.

However, those build sheets by Vinanalytics are not always 100% accurate, as I have seen a few errors before.
Originally Posted by ICNU
Something is really off because Sport Chrono IS the Sports + button. There isn't one without the other as far as I am aware as the Sports+ button is what activates the sport chrono option features. Does your car have the sport chrono lap timer clock in the center of the dash?
ya I haven't seen a sport chrono equipped car without the Sport Plus button..
So either that's not his VIN NUMBER or Vinanalytics is wrong.

do you have the sport chrono clock?

Last edited by Sajan; 03-02-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2022, 06:38 PM
Sajan
Pro

^ Maybe it's the relationship I have with my SA, but I told them I did NOT want to have this recall performed..this was at the dealer in Grapevine, TX. The SA noted it in all caps on the work order for the tech.

Other than asking why I wanted to decline it, there was no 'pressure' to get it done. I got the other 2 recalls performed.
You have a really good SA/dealer at grapevine. I saw your PDK clutch fluid was only 168 of labor! That's barely an hour.
I am seeing 2-3.5 hours here in Houston.
Old 03-03-2022, 07:29 PM
danby
Rennlist Member

So am I pretty much SOL in CA? Has anyone been able to use Cobb AP or similar to backup/restore their map?
Old 03-03-2022, 09:00 PM
Sajan
Pro

Went in to do the PDK clutch service.
Service advisor today: you have a recall, do you want to get that done?

me: NO! NOPE. NO SIR. THANK YOU.

service advisor: LOL, man a lot of people are like no! don't do it.

when I went to pick up the car, he said we didn't do the recall but we did the one for the air filter one. i said whew, thanks!

Last edited by Sajan; 03-03-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:40 PM
danby
Rennlist Member

Hey all, I'll ask once more in case it reaches someone new. I'm taking my car in for another recall next week and am thinking I won't be able to avoid the AMC0 one since I'm in California. Are there any strategies for getting them to not do it, or anything I can do before hand to "backup" my flash?
Old 03-18-2022, 03:07 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

I think you guys are overthinking this. Call the Service Manager and get the facts on whether it is mandatory or not. I doubt it is, but but confirm. If not, make it very clear you do not want it and have him record that in the notes for your service. I would also maybe tape over the ODBII port or leave a note on the steering wheel just in case. But ultimately, they have to be clear with you on what they're going to do to your car BEFORE they do it.
The following users liked this post:
TMc993 (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 07:41 PM
danby
Rennlist Member

Yes, I will definitely implore them not to do the upgrade, but if they refuse to do the other recall (which is causing a CEL right now), I might not have a choice. I'll let you all know what happens
Old 03-19-2022, 12:16 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by danby
Yes, I will definitely implore them not to do the upgrade, but if they refuse to do the other recall (which is causing a CEL right now), I might not have a choice. I'll let you all know what happens
You talking about the tank leak detect module recall?

What codes is it causing?
Old 03-19-2022, 12:22 AM
danby
Rennlist Member

You talking about the tank leak detect module recall?

What codes is it causing?
Yeah that's the one. They claim it should resolve the CEL. It's throwing P0456 (small eval leak)
Old 03-30-2022, 10:59 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 135 Posts

My dealer took it upon themselves to do it without asking! I guess I never drive in SPORT+ so it shouldn't impact me much but I do miss the burble when in SPORT mode before
Old 03-31-2022, 01:19 AM
danby
Rennlist Member

To my surprise my dealer actually agreed to not do it. The service rep I spoke to went out of her way to talk to the shop and ask them not to do it. Overall, I'm very happy!
Old 05-02-2022, 12:28 AM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Any updates here now you've been running with it a while? I went in for service and I didn't know about the recall, and they did it without asking me. I literally never used sport + because it hangs up in the high revs too much for the street, so maybe its a good thing!?

Quick Reply: Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU