Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 07:13 AM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub
Any updates here now you've been running with it a while? I went in for service and I didn't know about the recall, and they did it without asking me. I literally never used sport + because it hangs up in the high revs too much for the street, so maybe its a good thing!?

My dealer did the same thing to mine but to be honest I haven't felt any difference other then the burble on down shifts. I too don't ever use sport + but with that side the performance is still there and I haven't notice or felt any changes.

Old 05-02-2022, 02:30 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper1000
My dealer did the same thing to mine but to be honest I haven't felt any difference other then the burble on down shifts. I too don't ever use sport + but with that side the performance is still there and I haven't notice or felt any changes.
Do you mean there is less burble now in +? I noticed that too, but I think + always had less burble than sport, right?
Old 05-02-2022, 06:36 PM
Viper1000
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub
Do you mean there is less burble now in +? I noticed that too, but I think + always had less burble than sport, right?

I never drive in SPORT+ to be honest as I don't like how the car holds the high rpm but in SPORT mode it burbled more before the update. It still does it at high RPM (big time) but like when you roll up to a stop light it use to do it more before the update. Keep in mind though I have a full exhaust with 200 cell cats & headers so my car is loud to begin with. I think all negative hype is really nothing to be honest.

Last edited by Viper1000; 05-02-2022 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:24 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Any updates on how this update impacts Sport Plus mode PDK shifting on track? I'm still trying to avoid it, but I have to take the car to the dealer soon. Here's to hoping.
Old 07-16-2022, 12:34 AM
AZ Boxster
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Any updates on how this update impacts Sport Plus mode PDK shifting on track? I'm still trying to avoid it, but I have to take the car to the dealer soon. Here's to hoping.
Are you talking full track day or autocross?
Old 07-16-2022, 02:07 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ Boxster
Are you talking full track day or autocross?
Full track use, but I suppose I'd be interested in any anecdotes.
Old 07-19-2022, 01:32 AM
AZ Boxster
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

@txbdan I can't speak to full track use until this fall. What I can tell you is that the Sport Plus mode's shift points are earlier when you are not at WOT. In my experience, the main difference (before and after the update) is found in PDK shift points.

In my own experience:
Before: Sport Plus mode shifts at redline the majority of the time no matter how aggressive the acceleration.
After: Sport Plus mode shifts at redline only at wide-open throttle. The shifts points are still aggressive (higher rpms) but the only way to carry to redline is by WOT.

Downshifting feels somewhat the same but that may be my own style as I probably downshift earlier than most - especially with the PDK doing the work of rev matching. I usually brake late into apexes and try to manage my momentum on the exit. The nice thing about being higher in the rev range is that the power was available after braking. I am not sure yet if the update will hamper this important characteristic - meaning if the downshifts will drop the rev range out of the power band.

I am sure there will be a whole different learning curve in Sport Plus mode. I am no expert and I would love to get more of an expert take.

One can still manually shift gears which is unchanged. I am anticipating the learning curve will be daunting. I am also hear to say this: The reality is that it will not impact the time one sets unless a driver is very in tune with the car and is a skilled driver. For most of us weekend warriors, it will be more of a "feel" in terms of the way the changes in shifting impact how often the car stays in the power band. That definitely was a learned skill then, and has not changed now.

Last edited by AZ Boxster; 07-19-2022 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Tagged
The following users liked this post:
Kienetic (09-22-2022)
Old 04-07-2023, 02:31 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

I got an email reminder today from Porsche about the emissions recall and reprogramming the PDK software (and possible DME programming if needed)

I had declined the recall last year (or maybe 18 months ago) when I was tracking the car.

So this reminder references the class-action lawsuit against Porsche, and says that if you get the recall done, you will get $250 as part of that settlement and that you dont need to file any paperwork.. It will be paid out to you automatically, from the claims adjuster, on a rolling basis every 6 months based on when you get the recall done.

Interesting incentives..
Old 04-07-2023, 07:42 PM
Der Tgr
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
I got an email reminder today from Porsche about the emissions recall and reprogramming the PDK software (and possible DME programming if needed)

I had declined the recall last year (or maybe 18 months ago) when I was tracking the car.

So this reminder references the class-action lawsuit against Porsche, and says that if you get the recall done, you will get $250 as part of that settlement and that you dont need to file any paperwork.. It will be paid out to you automatically, from the claims adjuster, on a rolling basis every 6 months based on when you get the recall done.

Interesting incentives..
I got the reminder today, too. I have been avoiding the update, awaiting more reports from other 981 owners who have done it. Now I'm starting to think that maybe if I hold out a little longer, they'll offer to fix my crazing headlights or warped door cards....
Old 04-07-2023, 07:53 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Der Tgr
I got the reminder today, too. I have been avoiding the update, awaiting more reports from other 981 owners who have done it. Now I'm starting to think that maybe if I hold out a little longer, they'll offer to fix my crazing headlights or warped door cards....
LOL, I'm afraid you will be waiting a LOOONG time for that one.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:46 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 556 Posts

I'm holding out so I can have the last, super valuable, 1 of 1 non reprogrammed 981's. In all seriousness, I'd rather keep the car the way it is instead of the $250. It's hard to believe the new programming is "better" otherwise Porsche wouldn't have to have been forced to by legal means or would have done so in the first place. It's just software, just like the early PDK's were flashed when in for service. If it was an improvement, Porsche and the dealers would have loved to tell you that. So with that in mind, performance can only be neutral or negative. $250 isn't worth neutral or negative to me.

I would like to see what difference the reprogramming does. Maybe it's better, who knows. If anyone is in the Chicago or Milwaukee area's and had it done, PM me, I'd like to see the cars side by side.

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 04-08-2023 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KBell (04-09-2023)
Old 04-08-2023, 10:11 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 244 Posts

I got the recall done in February and am not unhappy. I don’t track this car anymore, I don’t drive in Sport + on the street, and I just had the PDK rebuilt and wanted the most up to date software. No regrets.

Lately, I have been using Sport more on my commute (never used to). I like it!
Old 04-08-2023, 03:21 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 475 Likes on 279 Posts

I haven't had them update mine yet. I'd actually prefer Sport+ shift points that are usable on the street... but if enough people believe that it neuters the car or harms its performance, then I can't allow the dealer to apply the update without doing far more than $250 damage to my car's resale value.

Oh, wait, this thing isn't getting sold until I'm too dead to care. So I guess I'll have the recall performed next oil change.

Last edited by Larson E. Rapp; 04-08-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2023, 12:12 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I haven't had them update mine yet. I'd actually prefer Sport+ shift points that are usable on the street...
but doesnt the recall kill Sport+ altogether?
Old 04-09-2023, 12:32 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 415 Likes on 249 Posts

It doesnt change anything about Sport + other than how it behaves in full auto mode. It changes the Sport+ function to more of a "dual function" depending on how the user is driving according to those who have had it done.

Pre update, Sport + is not drivable in full auto mode on anything other than the track due to the near redline upshifts/downshifts, hence why those that use it on the street always shift manually.

Post update allows Sports + to operate normally in full auto mode on the street under normal driving conditions, however getting aggressive on the throttle and keeping the RPM up sends the logic back to the old method, and the car will start to run near redline again before shifting as it assumes you are on a track.

This seems to be more of a technicality they are addressing here so they can say that Sport + isnt creating more emissions than it should when being used on the street, but no one ever drove it in full auto on the street to begin with. Manually shifting defeats the point of this so called fix, so nothing at all changes for those that drive that way

IMO its an on paper only fix to satisfy the emissions overlords so Porsche can say "all is fine if they let the car we designed handle the shifts in sport + on the street", but those that like to drive in full auto with their PDK may find the update useful since it makes the Sport + mode useable on the street for them

Last edited by ICNU; 04-09-2023 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU