Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 04:25 PM
Snip's
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

"This software update .. has no impact on fuel consumption values for your vehicle, drivability, performance or safety."

Performance / fuel consumption at what RPM level?

Porsche could be correct that the HP / fuel consumption at the new lower level won't change from original... It just won't let you get to them at 7400rpm, would be the interpretation....
Old 12-21-2021, 06:05 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
Thing is, without fitting a physically filter, how do you reduce emissions without lowering peak rpm or the amount of fuel being burned at any given rpm? Either will reduce max hp
The EPA tests vehicles on a particular drive cycle. Accelerate at X toward speed Y, stop at Z # of traffic lights, and so forth. A car designed to shift near redline even at light throttle positions is not only going to waste a lot of gas for no reason, but will also look unnecessarily bad from a pollution standpoint.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:33 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 342 Posts

It would be interesting to do a dyno run before the software reset, then do another after.
The following users liked this post:
kechal (01-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2021, 10:17 AM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

SC+ is completely way too aggressive, so I never use it, love SC though in fact this could be good thing!
Old 12-22-2021, 01:44 PM
python2121
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
SC+ is completely way too aggressive, so I never use it, love SC though in fact this could be good thing!
I agree with this take. Though even still, I will be holding off on the recall until there are more reports in the wild on the effects.
kechal (01-22-2022)
Old 12-22-2021, 01:55 PM
ledbette
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
It would be interesting to do a dyno run before the software reset, then do another after.
Same. Would like a dyno run and also some feedback of on-track behavior.
Old 12-22-2021, 02:49 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard.
Originally Posted by python2121
I agree with this take. Though even still, I will be holding off on the recall until there are more reports in the wild on the effects.
Yes, for street only use, Sport+ is useless in PDK cars. Will only result in you getting more attention than you need and likely end up getting a ticket you don't want.

But for track use, Sport+ in a PDK car is absolutely desirable. I never use Sport+ on street. Never. For track use, it's the first thing I turn before I go on track just before I use the spoiler button to fix the spoiler in the deployed position.
ledbette (12-22-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 02:55 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 327 Likes on 225 Posts

The car will make the same MAXIMUM power whether it’s in sport+ or not. It’s the torque delivery that ramps up. This, combined with the super-fast gear change of the PDK, is what makes it a little quicker over a given distance. Thing is, it feels MUCH faster still. It’s this feeling you’re likely to lose, at least in part. Even if this doesn’t matter to you, it’s likely to matter to a prospective buyer if/when you come to sell.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:03 PM
ledbette
Racer

It would actually be nice if the PDK would shift earlier when throttle position is maybe < 20% and/or you're doing less than 30mph. It's one of those things I don't like when I'm leaving the grid. I either keep in Sport or manually shift to keep RPMs down before the oil reaches operating temp.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:27 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 404 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ledbette
It would actually be nice if the PDK would shift earlier when throttle position is maybe < 20% and/or you're doing less than 30mph. It's one of those things I don't like when I'm leaving the grid. I either keep in Sport or manually shift to keep RPMs down before the oil reaches operating temp.
There have been a few post that sort of hint that this "might" be what they have done, but I haven't seen anything conclusive from anyone at this point. One post elsewhere seemed to indicate that the Sport + mode is now streetable with the update when driving in a normal fashion, but will operate as before with near redline shifts when the throttle is being used very aggressively on the track.

No one is using 80-100% throttle flat out all the time and keeping the RPM up at 6-7K constantly on the street as you do on a track, so it seems that this logic could be implemented so the shift pattern changes between the two driving styles? This is the best of both worlds if actually true. I seem to recall I saw this over in the 991 update thread on the same subject matter, but not sure if the behavior would be different for us if true? Its easy enough to test by anyone that has done the update and let us know

Last edited by ICNU; 12-22-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2021, 06:05 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 608 Likes on 416 Posts

I'm the dork who always starts his car early and monitors oil temp with Cobb AP data display (not dash display) to make sure it's up to at least 190F before heading out on track. On cool days, this can take some time.

Originally Posted by ICNU
There have been a few post that sort of hint that this "might" be what they have done, but I haven't seen anything conclusive from anyone at this point. One post elsewhere seemed to indicate that the Sport + mode is now streetable with the update when driving in a normal fashion, but will operate as before with near redline shifts when the throttle is being used very aggressively on the track.

No one is using 80-100% throttle flat out all the time and keeping the RPM up at 6-7K constantly on the street as you do on a track, so it seems that this logic could be implemented so the shift pattern changes between the two driving styles? This is the best of both worlds if actually true. I seem to recall I saw this over in the 991 update thread on the same subject matter, but not sure if the behavior would be different for us if true? Its easy enough to test by anyone that has done the update and let us know
All good points but I'm more interested in how the PDK downshifts on track in Sport+ auto mode after this "TCU" recall. I always upshift manually in Sport+ mode and I don't press the throttle beyond the detent switch that forces the gear selection that will take you to Sport+ redline. I target ~7,100 RPM upshift with the steering wheel paddle when at wide open throttle Sport+ operation. Wide open throttle plate angle is achieved with the pedal at the detent, not beyond the detent. This is verifiable by logging Cobb AP data. All going past the pedal detent does is force a gear to be selected or held that will take you to maximum Sport+ RPM for an auto upshift.

Last edited by okie981; 12-22-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:24 PM
jpc570
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recall inadvertently deleted.

How lucky. Inadvertently deleted recall. I flashed an aftermarket tune but due to its ineffectiveness, I removed it. Bingo! Tune is gone and took the crappy recall with it. Eureka!
Bummler (01-28-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 04:52 PM
danby
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Is there a reliable way to revert this change? I have to take my car in for another recall, and I suspect I won't be able to avoid the DME programming.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:07 PM
ledbette
Racer

Since it's officially optional, you can request that it not be performed, but in the Peoples Republic of CA, may not get that option. CA is getting really picky about things like this, and you may not get your smog cert if you don't have this recall performed. They are starting to look for unapproved ECU programming.

Last edited by ledbette; 03-02-2022 at 05:09 PM.
BondJ (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 05:10 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 327 Likes on 225 Posts

…but in the Peoples Republic of CA, may not get that option.
Lol…but sadly true

Quick Reply: Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU