Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 09:26 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleThreat719
@Kevin CS any update after your recall was performed? I've stayed away from it, as I don't want to neuter Sport+ mode... Curious as to your thoughts.
I did my second autocross a couple of weeks after the recall was performed and didn't notice any difference in Sport+ performance from my first autocross (which was before getting the recall done). That said, I should mention that I very rarely use Sport+ other than at these autocross events, so my sample size is very small. The other thing I should mention is that I got the FVD tune back in the Spring, and on the advice of Dragan at FVD, flashed the car back to stock before they performed the recall and then flashed it back to the FVD tune after the recall, so that may have something to do with why Sport+ felt essentially the same to me before and after.
The following users liked this post:
AZ Boxster (12-20-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 08:51 PM
TripleThreat719
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks @Kevin CS I appreciate your reply. Really curious to know if anyone who had the stock "pre-recall" programming, who then upgraded to the recall programming has any dyno numbers or other data that isn't seat-of-the-pants feel to truly know the difference that the recall makes in performance. I would imagine that any aftermarket tune, that was installed after the recall was performed, renders the recall moot...

Last edited by TripleThreat719; 09-06-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:41 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleThreat719
I would imagine that any aftermarket tune, that was installed after the recall was performed, renders the recall moot...
That may be; I'm not sure. But I think the recall mainly affects the TCU, and the FVD tune I bought doesn't have anything to do with the TCU.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:51 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 195 Posts

If there were one HP or one foot-pound of difference before and after the recall, you could sue Porsche for lying on the recall notice about performance being unaffected.

That by itself should tell you it had no effect. People would be screaming bloody murder, posting dyno plots, and trying to organize yet another class action.
Viper1000 (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 03:13 PM
M-Pilot
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
I think it's best if those who want to autocross in Auto mode pony up the $750 for the Cobb tune, as you mentioned. 95% of drivers will absolutely be happier with the recall, if they are honest with themselves.

I would have been willing to pay $750 for this update, if I'd known what I was missing. Either way it's good that paying a small amount of cash (or in this case, receiving a small amount of cash, although it's too late for that now) will get the car to perform the way each individual driver prefers.
Is it possible to just buy the TCU tune from Cobb? Their website seems to suggest you have to buy the Accessport (with ECU tune) first for $1400 and then you can spend an additional $700 to get the TCU tune.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:35 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 195 Posts

Dunno. I actually have the same question, come to think of it, for my Macan.
Old 10-30-2023, 05:08 PM
M-Pilot
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by M-Pilot
Is it possible to just buy the TCU tune from Cobb? Their website seems to suggest you have to buy the Accessport (with ECU tune) first for $1400 and then you can spend an additional $700 to get the TCU tune.
I sent an email to Cobb and got the following reply:

"Thank you for reaching out to COBB Support! Let's get you some answers!

At this time we do not currently offer ONLY PDK tuning without ECU tuning. You would need to purchase the full ECU/PDK tuning Accessport in order to gain PDK tuning.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I would be happy to further assist!
Thanks!"
Larson E. Rapp (10-30-2023)
Old 11-04-2023, 05:11 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

I had this recall done about a month ago, and have since taken the car on our yearly rally to the Arkansas mountains.

I initially was like several others on here; I declined the recall initially when I had the car at the dealer for the axle carrier recall over a year ago for fear of substantially changing the PDK mapping. But after having the recall done, I can say that S+ is actually useable now. I used S+ during the "spirited" driving areas on our trip, and I must say I really like its behavior.

I haven't tracked the car yet since the recall, but I would def use S+ in a track environment, where previously I really didn't use S+ on the track, just Sport.

Two thumbs up from me on this one.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:12 PM
wootloops
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any way to revert this update back to the older Q033 version with PIWIS? I haven't been able to figure that out. For my use case (90% track driven), this update actually makes Sport+ kind of suck. I have many instances where I am at ~70% throttle and would rather the car hold the gear, but it upshifts unnecessarily. I understand this update works way better for street driving on S+ but I don't care as much about that.

Quick Reply: Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU