Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 09:52 AM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jpc570
Well you can declare me the first fool who had this recall performed. I went to local dealer for a “ complimentary inspection” and they decided to throw in the recall. What the reprograming does basically is remove your sport plus switch. Now there is very little difference between the two modes. Sports plus used to be a rush, now nothing. Very disappointing. Fortunately my independent Porsche mechanic will restore my original factory settings next week. Avoid this recall.
Thanks for letting us know. (My car has been added to the recall list since I originally posted this and now I know to avoid it.)
The following users liked this post:
kechal (01-22-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:48 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 312 Posts

Well you can declare me the first fool who had this recall performed. I went to local dealer for a “ complimentary inspection” and they decided to throw in the recall. What the reprograming does basically is remove your sport plus switch. Now there is very little difference between the two modes. Sports plus used to be a rush, now nothing. Very disappointing. Fortunately my independent Porsche mechanic will restore my original factory settings next week. Avoid this recall.
Do you have PDK or 6MT?
Old 12-18-2021, 12:49 PM
jpc570
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Do you have PDK or 6MT?
PDK
Old 12-18-2021, 12:51 PM
arne
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Good. Now we finally know for sure. So who will be the first with a Cayman 6MT to sell me their car for cheap after the recall has ruined it?
Old 12-18-2021, 01:32 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 402 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by thecajunboy
Do you have PDK or 6MT?
This recall only applies to PDK equipped sport chrono cars that I am aware of. The higher emissions from my understanding are from the near redline RPM sport + mode shift points when running in auto track mode. There is nothing to correct on a manual since the driver is always 100% in control of the shift points no matter what mode they are driving in.

This so called "fix" simply removes the redline shifts when in Sports+ auto mode on PDK cars, and essentially turns it into the same thing as sport mode already was the best I can tell so far from all the 991 guys that have already had it done. I cant imagine there is any difference on our 981 cars, and some may actually like the change since they will be abler to use auto mode in Sports + on the street now.

Last edited by ICNU; 12-18-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:40 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Hmm. In Sport+ the PDK automatic gear selection for a given speed and power demand is significantly different compared to Sport mode. As delivered stock with no recall update applied, when driving at steady state ~35 mph in Sport mode, select Sport+ and the car will down shift a gear (or two). Keeps the engine in a more track-oriented RPM/power range. The post by @jpc570 implies the PDK automatic gear selections are the same between Sport and Sport+ modes. Maybe I'm reading too much into their post.
kechal (01-22-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 01:46 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 402 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Hmm. In Sport+ the PDK automatic gear selection for a given speed and power demand is significantly different compared to Sport mode. As delivered stock with no recall update applied, when driving at steady state ~35 mph in Sport mode, select Sport+ and the car will down shift a gear (or two). Keeps the engine in a more track-oriented RPM/power range. The post by @jpc570 implies the PDK automatic gear selections are the same between Sport and Sport+ modes. Maybe I'm reading too much into their post.
There is a huge 911 thread ongoing on this forum about the same stop sale and recall. Every one of the 991 guys are reporting that the high RPM shift points that occur when using Sport+ in auto (track) mode are gone after the update, and that you can now drive in Sport+ auto mode normally on the street no differently than one could before in sport mode.

It seems all they have done is just remove the redline shift points and keep everything else that was associated with the Sport+ mode regarding the dynamic mounts, suspension and other tuning. The update should be invisible to those that drive on the street in Sport+ manually using the paddles at all times if this is the case, but not sure what effect this will have on those that used the full auto mode on the track, as that is one of the huge benefits of the PDK on the track. Time will tell I guess as more people have the update and report back

Last edited by ICNU; 12-18-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:41 PM
jpc570
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No way. The recall is a lot more than simply removing the redline shifts when in Sports+ auto mode on PDK cars. You lose the instantaneous increase in throttle response , shifts seem slower, and the overall steering and suspension feel less tight and responsive. The transition from sport to Sport plus is almost unnoticeable.

Sadly, I have first hand experience. It will be fixed.
kechal (01-22-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 03:45 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

No way. The recall is a lot more than simply removing the redline shifts when in Sports+ auto mode on PDK cars. You lose the instantaneous increase in throttle response , shifts seem slower, and the overall steering and suspension feel less tight and responsive. The transition from sport to Sport plus is almost unnoticeable.

Sadly, I have first hand experience. It will be fixed.
Ok. But Sport and Sport+ have zero effect on the steering response by itself, i.e. no change to the electric power steering feel by changing to Sport or Sport+ modes. The only thing suspension-wise that changes is the dynamic transmission mounts stiffen up, and that's not really suspension of/for the wheels, just keeps the engine/gearbox from moving around as much during shifts.

The throttle response does change when going to Sport or Sport+ mode, but in a mickey-mouse way, IMO. I hate it for track use, makes modulation of the power more difficult because such a small movement of the throttle is demanding more of a power change through the throttle plate movement. If I could eliminate that change alone in Sport or Sport+, I'd gladly do so. The non-Sport/Sport+ mode throttle response is perfect for track use, but Sport+ mode is needed if you like the automatic PDK downshifts/upshifts. On track, I always had Sport+ on but left the PDK in auto mode. I let it downshift but I always upshifted at 7,100 to 7,300 with the steering wheel paddle just to reduce wear and tear on the engine. No more power above 7,200 anyway, power curve drops off.
The following 2 users liked this post by okie981:
911mhawk (01-09-2022), kechal (01-22-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 04:24 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Complicating matters further, when you drive away from the dealership after having a reflash like this performed, the car will probably need to relearn your driving habits. It will drive differently for a while, regardless of whether the recall was a net good or bad thing. You will not be able to judge the new shift parameters immediately.

The fact that the recall doesn't apply to the stick-shift cars does, indeed, suggest that its effects are strictly limited to remapping the Sport+ auto shift points. If there were any required changes to steering, braking, PASM/PADM, or anything else, the recall would presumably have covered all cars, not just PDK models.
kechal (01-22-2022)
Old 12-18-2021, 04:29 PM
arne
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by arne
Good. Now we finally know for sure. So who will be the first with a Cayman 6MT to sell me their car for cheap after the recall has ruined it?
Originally Posted by ICNU
This recall only applies to PDK equipped sport chrono cars that I am aware of.
Dang! No cheap "ruined" 6MT for me!
Old 12-18-2021, 06:24 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ICNU
This recall only applies to PDK equipped sport chrono cars that I am aware of. The higher emissions from my understanding are from the near redline RPM sport + mode shift points when running in auto track mode. There is nothing to correct on a manual since the driver is always 100% in control of the shift points no matter what mode they are driving in.
Thanks for the response on this. Makes sense to me, but as a 6MT owner, I've been trying to nail that down.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:28 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Noah Fect;17851697]Complicating matters further, when you drive away from the dealership after having a reflash like this performed, the car will probably need to relearn your driving habits. It will drive differently for a while, regardless of whether the recall was a net good or bad thing. /QUOTE]

Never thought about this that much, but after having a PADM changed earlier this year, my car drove what I thought to be significantly differently after picking it up. So much so that I questioned the service advisor about it. I was really thinking that had snuck in a Sport + change for this recall. Maybe they just reflashed one of the modules. Or worse, I can't remember how the car drives after a week in a different vehicle.
Old 12-18-2021, 07:45 PM
Atlas 987
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

This is not what I wanted to hear. I am due for the axle carrier recall. Can I decline the ECU/ TCU reflash?
Old 12-19-2021, 11:59 AM
cheesefries
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about for someone like me who doesn’t have the sports + button ? How would this afffect me ?

Quick Reply: Recall #AMC0 REPROGRAMMING TCU AND ECU