Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like an elegant piece of engineering design. Be interesting to see the dyno numbers...
Old 05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking VERY interesting..
Just one question though.
Whats the braided "fuel" pipes on the left hand side of the engine bay for.??
It looks like it feeds a filter assembly.??? then into the engine.
Is it to do with increased fuel pressure.???
Does the supercharger need an oil reservoir.?? If so wheres that.??
Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like FPR to me.
Raj
Old 05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Looks like FPR to me.
Raj
that and it's also known as a "FMU" or fuel management unit....variable fuel pressure based upon vaccum.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 105 Posts

Rising rate FPR. Under boost it raises the fuel pressure more than just to match the boost level. Adds more fuel under boost. So if you were at 5 lbs of boost instead of 5 more pounds of fuel pressure it might add 10 psi of fuel pressure and deliver 10% or so more fuel.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Moook
Racer

Cheers chaps...
Looking GOOD....
Old 05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Jason Judd
Three Wheelin'

Wonder how PCA would classify us if we raced with this...for a turbocharged car, there is a factor applied...I wonder if you could avoid that because it's not turbocharged...just "forced induction".

What a potential loop hole in racing class!

Whoo Hoo!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have to wonder. If this upgrade comes off as I hope it does, it could breathe new life into our old cars for this modern age, couldn't it? I mean, the 'charged 968 should run surprisingly faster than anyone is expecting, it might pick up new adherents on DE days, and/or track if it qualifies, etc. The 968 runs good now...and this can only help...a lot perhaps. Carl's kits are getting a lot of positive attention in the 928 world.

If the above happens, it's conceivable that the prices of our rigs will increase. If this were to happen (long shot, I know) then right now is the time to BUY!!! While 968s are cheap.

Also, someone needs to tip Excellence Magazine to write an article on Carl's car. That will give the 968 more attention in the car world.

Something might be coming together here.....pretty exciting. I'm glad I own a 968.

H2
Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

since I bought the 968 for the wife 4 years ago, I realized that this is a great car; except that it's about 100hp short. I was going to do this same work myself , but Carl beat me to the punch, as it's a no brain-er that a low boost application with a centrifugal S/C is the perfect fit for adding 100hp to the crank....and not affect longevity of the engine, drive-train and chassis.

Carl has far better knowledge and fab skills than I do, so it's better that he did this. Also, I am a HUGE fan of supporting those who take the initiative to build items (kits) like this for the community.

again, my hat is off to Carl for the hard work.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jason Judd
Wonder how PCA would classify us if we raced with this...for a turbocharged car, there is a factor applied...I wonder if you could avoid that because it's not turbocharged...just "forced induction".

What a potential loop hole in racing class!

Whoo Hoo!
Actually it would really screw you over, because not only would you get a multiplier just like any other forced induction car, but you would also get bumped up to another class (probably GTM/U/O) because of the illegal modification. You'd have to go full race (fiberglass/lexan/etc etc) to be competitive.

At that point you're competition would be full race 944 turbos with 2.8L turbos or 3L turbos. On a small tight track you'd defiantely be at an advantage, but not so much at bigger tracks. (IMHO)

If this kit can take the 968 from 240hp to 300+hp, it'll be faster around the track than my race car will be, mostly because the 3L will have so much more low end torque on our short, tight local tracks. (Mission/Seattle)
Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The item on the left is an FMU (Fuel Management Unit) It stays "out of the system" as long as the engine is running below boost, so the tune in the engine is completely stock and OEM. The boost will come in at about 3500 rpm and come in hard at 4,000.

The FMU adds fuel pressure at the rate of 3 psi per 1 pound of boost to keep the injectors at optimum pressure delta in the runners, and to add a little more fuel.

The FMU also allows provides a very simple tuning tool to each individual car. Easily adjusted, then lock down the jam nut and forget it. I like to ship one with each kit because no two cars are exactly the same.

The FMU also allows you to pass emissions IF your emissions tests are taken at the tailpipe only. Obviously, if your emissions exam includes a visual inspection of the engine, the Supercharger sticks out like a sore thumb. A lot of guys in that situation unbolt them, go get recertified, then come back home and put them on.

As to the "sniff test" sampling emissions tests - samples are taken at idle and at "highway" speeds - about 2200 rpm in 5th gear simulating 65 MPH or so. Because the FMU is not adding any fuel until about 3500rpm, and the cats and all other equipement (air pump, etc) are installed and functioning - if you passed emissions before installing this, you will pass again after installing this.

Most owners actually report an increase in gas mileage. This is due to the increase in volumetric efficiency now that they have a blower. You need less throttle to maintain the same highway speed than you did before...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

"Most owners actually report an increase in gas mileage. This is due to the increase in volumetric efficiency now that they have a blower. You need less throttle to maintain the same highway speed than you did before... "

Is that before the loud pedal gets pushed for the rush? Better get a detector/jammer set-up. LOL.

Looks great BTW, makes me think about a 968 Cab instead of the 993 I am looking at.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't wait to hear some feedback about his test drive!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Did the correct air filter come in yesterday?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this kit work on the ROW spec engines? I think we have a higher CR than the US models.

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development