Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Supercharger Kit Development

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

PS: we are going to try to continue to use the Heavy Duty belt tensioning turnbuckle that you have now (it tightens the belt for the AC and alternator). That means it will now also tighten the belt for the supercharger.

Again, fewer parts = lower cost and easier installation.

We try to be elegant and streamlined in our designs. The best designs are as simple as possible yet meet all design goals.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
lsinlv
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go info, Thanks Carl.

A question I have is:

in the past with previous S/C intallations, the issue of belt wrap on the charger pulley VS. belt slip has created some interesting solutions, but all of which tend to add a substatnial load on the other shared belt driven accessories; even when using an "idler" pulley for the charger.

what are your thoughts on the additional belt load/tension required as to the longevity of the a/c compressor and/or alternator??? nether of which are cheap to repair/replace VS. an additional belt and pulley to drive the charger off the crank?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Those are good points, Larry.

In this case, we are using the AC belt, and the AC compressor is already requiring about 20 HP to operate... so we know the bearings on the AC and the alternator are already designed for that belt load.
We feel that the small supercharger we are using will not add substantially to the belt tension nor bearing load, as the belt tension the AC and alternator require right now are already quite high and high enough for us.

But - if this turns out not to be the case, we will have to make a separate special crank pulley for the 968. I am trying not to do that if I can because of cost and packaging requirements. There is so little room at the nose of the crank and behind the radiator that if I add another belt sheeve, the SC will have to move forward by that amount and then the hood will no longer close.

So, we will try mixing it into the serpantine system first and see what happens.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 AM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very exciting to say the least.

I have trouble even imagining where you can fit the SC, but that's why there are clever developers like you out there. Just out of curiosity, does your current design retain power steering hardware?

Regards,
Chris
Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Yes. The power steering pump and hardware and belt are all unchanged. In the current design, the AC and alternator belt and hardware are also unchanged.

If I get to a spot where a photograph makes sense, I'll post a picture of the setup. That may take me to week's end. Be advised: if I post a partial-installation protoype photo, you will not see the cold air supply or the PCV mods yet.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

For some more clearance at the crank pulley, you could make a slim fan kit for us. Those fans are a ~25 year old design, I'm sure you could make something that works better and takes less space. Just a thought, hoping it doesn't become necessary.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Moook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
For some more clearance at the crank pulley, you could make a slim fan kit for us. Those fans are a ~25 year old design, I'm sure you could make something that works better and takes less space. Just a thought, hoping it doesn't become necessary.
Or fit a fan in front of the rad instead of behind....But this is only going to drive the costs up.....
Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Carl already sells a fan so he's got that covered if needed.

H2
Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Supercharger mounted. Now making the idler pulley bracket and mounting that up too. I'll take some pics after those are finished.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Out of curiousity, are you leaving enough space for a strut tower brace to be installed with the s/c installed?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Show me a picture of the strut tower brace you are thinking of, and I can
tell you if we are mounting anything in the way of it or not.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 PM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Supercharger mounted. Now making the idler pulley bracket and mounting that up too. I'll take some pics after those are finished.
This has to the most exciting thread in a long time.... I want this to work so badly. I better start spoiling my wife to justify the 'routine maintenance'
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Show me a picture of the strut tower brace you are thinking of, and I can
tell you if we are mounting anything in the way of it or not.
This is the KLA strut brace, it fits the 968 as well as the 951. There are others that look different but mount pretty much exactly the same. If the supercharger is mounted anywhere within the 1/2" that the strut bar occupies, it won't be compatible.

I'm looking forward to your kit. I'm definately interested, if I buy it, I would be keeping my 968 forever.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

I dont see a problem. No interference at all. Everything I am doing (so far) is in front of the motor and down.

I have the 968 shop manuals, and we are looking for a good schematic of the crankcase ventilation system. I think the page must be missing from my book set - anybody got a page number for me or a good copy?

When we supercharge a car that has never been boosted, we always need to address the crankcase venting and usually re-route it.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I'm not sure that the 968 shop manual has crankcase venting specs in it, but i'll check when I get home. (I have it on PDF complete)

Quick Reply: 968 Supercharger Kit Development