Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another CA 964

No Affiliation.

http://iconmotoring.com/product/porsche-911-964/
Old 01-21-2015, 01:33 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Awesome color combo... '91 Turbo, Meteor Metallic on Matador Red, 18K miles, $150K https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/305430

Originally Posted by DTMLGND
Seems like this pile comes up every few months. Cliff notes: involved in 2 accidents, shady past listings, pass!

Last edited by LPMM; 01-21-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM
greenr
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The white car at icon is the same car that showed up on Northern NJ craigslist, then a dealer in upstate NY, then a private party in SoCal and now at a dealer a little inland from the last steward. All inj the last 6 months!!
Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Raddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greenr
The white car at icon is the same car that showed up on Northern NJ craigslist, then a dealer in upstate NY, then a private party in SoCal and now at a dealer a little inland from the last steward. All inj the last 6 months!!
yes, has definitely been 'on tour' having an exciting time traveling from reseller to dealer round and round
Old 01-28-2015, 08:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

What is everyone's opinion regarding the direction of these cars?

I have two potential buyers for my 93 C2 both offering between 30-40% over average market value for an above average car. I would really miss it and would hate to see it go. This may be a one shot deal but I don't think so if there are a few buyers at these prices now what is to say there won't be others later? Do you see the market softening of getting stronger?

I know once i let it go i will never be able to replace it with an equally clean example. Would you sell just for the money when you know it may never be replaceable? Although the $$ would get me most of the way to a slightly used cayman R or GTS I am not so sure they would ever offer me the experience and joy of owning a 964.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
Awesome color combo... '91 Turbo, Meteor Metallic on Matador Red, 18K miles, $150K https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/305430

Why is every square inch of that turbo's interior red except the air bag?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:06 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Why is every square inch of that turbo's interior red except the air bag?
Yep my thought exactly...I'd be looking for crash history....
Old 01-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I have two potential buyers for my 93 C2 both offering between 30-40% over average market value for an above average car. I would really miss it and would hate to see it go. This may be a one shot deal but I don't think so if there are a few buyers at these prices now what is to say there won't be others later? Do you see the market softening of getting stronger?

I know once i let it go i will never be able to replace it with an equally clean example. Would you sell just for the money when you know it may never be replaceable? Although the $$ would get me most of the way to a slightly used cayman R or GTS I am not so sure they would ever offer me the experience and joy of owning a 964.
Cobalt,

You won’t find a similar driving experience in anything else you buy. These cars are unique, that’s part of their allure. Yes prices are high now if you compare them to the market over the last few years. Odds are they're not going lower anytime soon if ever, baring a global economic meltdown. Do you think they can maintain this meteoric pace of appreciation? I don’t think so. IMO the market for all these air cooled 911's is close to equalization and may appreciate further but not at this pace.

If my guess on the markets for these cars is accurate, then it all depends on your personal utility of each car. I am considering the same thing with my 88 Targa. The prices are at a level where it’s tempting to sell. What would I replace it with? 70 to 74 Alfa GTV 2000? They have also appreciated huge. BMW E30 M3? I bought one new back in 1990 but they've been priced to the moon too? Gen 1 or gen 2 997? Great cars but they don’t give you the same experience and they're still depreciating in value. In your case the Cayman R or GTS despite being specialty models, especially in the case of the R still have room and time to fall in value. I am not suggesting cars are a good investment, ever. Except we've been fortunate enough to be long the market during this huge pop.

In the end there is no "wrong" decision.

So how much do you want for the 964?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:52 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

You have owned a large variety of cars (you have listed 14 notable ones) and they are all unique.

So when did you know it was time to sell those other cars?

Do you have the same feelings for the 964 at this time? If so then its time to sell. If not .....

As for the market I agree with those that feel the level of appreciation seen in the last few years cannot be sustained.

We have probably hit a plateau on prices.

But you don't seem like someone who needs to sell the 964, just someone who may want a change.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:12 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

What is everyone's opinion regarding the direction of these cars? I have two potential buyers for my 93 C2 both offering between 30-40% over average market value for an above average car. I would really miss it and would hate to see it go. This may be a one shot deal but I don't think so if there are a few buyers at these prices now what is to say there won't be others later? Do you see the market softening of getting stronger? I know once i let it go i will never be able to replace it with an equally clean example. Would you sell just for the money when you know it may never be replaceable? Although the $$ would get me most of the way to a slightly used cayman R or GTS I am not so sure they would ever offer me the experience and joy of owning a 964.
I used to have 9 Porsche's.....good old days. sold them all but the 993 Cup...The keys I reached for the most was the 964 RS. A very special combination of speed and handling. GT 3 second in line. What a car....but to truly enjoy you have to break the law.

Last year I was in the position to add a couple cars. Only room for 2. GT3 RS and a 964 RS clone. ( actually fairly close to the real thing as far as the way it drives)

I still seem to reach for the 964 keys more often. Very special car that offers a lot of what I love about Porsche.

My opinion would be to get all the $$ while you can. Find yourself a not so nice example and do a RS Clone. A well set up lightened car will always put a smile on your face.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Not sure i understand all the resale talk. Even with the appreciation it's really not that much. (10k, 15k?)
You will quickly blow that and then you will be missing the 964. Cars are like houses, shouldn't think of them like investments.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:02 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are going to need a few stiff drinks, in order to watch it be driven away. I know the feeling. I wasn't drinking. I could not even look .....
Do you need the money?
If not, why bother?

fwiw: I believe a great 964, as you describe, will continue to appreciate in value. And. You get to drive it.

I have been wrong before.......
Old 01-28-2015, 04:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

All wise words; ones I have spoken myself.

Its hard not to become attached but devoting the time to driving and maintaining them is getting tougher. I do regret selling everyone and wish I could keep them all. I was not interested in selling but have been approached and the numbers are tempting.

I am already building a 964 3.8RS type track car. My C2 is perfectly set up to my liking for the street already so why start over.

I have been approached to sell the 928GTS and the C2 each for RSA money. It is hard to resist!!!???
Old 01-28-2015, 04:47 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

All wise words; ones I have spoken myself.

Its hard not to become attached but devoting the time to driving and maintaining them is getting tougher. I do regret selling everyone and wish I could keep them all. I was not interested in selling but have been approached and the numbers are tempting.

I am already building a 964 3.8RS type track car. My C2 is perfectly set up to my liking for the street already so why start over.

I have been approached to sell the 928GTS and the C2 each for RSA money. It is hard to resist!!!???
Amazon Green is such a great color, I would not let them go.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:31 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing lasts forever. We all have to let go sooner or later. So given the choice........Let go later.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale