Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 10:36 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

^^^ I have to agree, that car just wasn't that nice and while I think everyone should have a black Porsche once at least (and never again), Cobalt nailed it; dirty nasty sweaty seats, accident repair plus a recently scrubbed (badly) undercarriage BUT, one heck of a nice pre-auction detail topside.

Where was I when those 2 bidders were buying real estate?
The following users liked this post:
Gt3stig (12-07-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:09 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts

Meh. Drive em. Who cares.
964Luftballoon (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 04:34 AM
pchap
Advanced

Received 130 Likes on 36 Posts

If you wanted a black on black C2, today.. and money was no issue and you saw "your vision car" on BaT, so you went and created an account and called it 964_911_C2, I guess you all know where I'm going..
Congrats to my new 964 brother! I have no doubt that he will drive the wheels off of it and have a huge grin on his face with every single turn of the wheel!

Old 12-08-2021, 10:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,154 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I have seen lesser cars sell for as much or more. Not saying it makes much sense but it is the new norm. I recently saw a 90 C4 which hadn't run in years with all sorts of rust, damaged interior, non working engine and brakes plus who knows what sell for $40k. This used to be a parts car or singer candidate but people want these apparently at any price.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:15 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Man ... if the thing gets that what does mine bring!?

Was offered 200k 8 months ago and turned it down.

Believe it or not, my WIFE won't let me sell it!

Last edited by eddieb4; 12-08-2021 at 09:18 PM.
964Luftballoon (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:24 PM
Jmw1234
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4

Too good to sell
Old 12-08-2021, 09:28 PM
Jmw1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have seen lesser cars sell for as much or more. Not saying it makes much sense but it is the new norm. I recently saw a 90 C4 which hadn't run in years with all sorts of rust, damaged interior, non working engine and brakes plus who knows what sell for $40k. This used to be a parts car or singer candidate but people want these apparently at any price.
Anthony

Hard to determine value in this Market but I have to think that headwork by xtreme motec and ohlins ttx w a regear and bespoke rods and cams on an original paint no story rsa w 66k miles has got to be worth close to 300k.... but not selling and adding bbi uprights

Old 12-08-2021, 10:00 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Great, happy our cars are so desirable but it is getting to be a little nerve racking driving mine in traffic. Que sera sera but I was happier when there were replacement cars out there for $60k, just ask Udo (Jetta).
jcsomerv (12-18-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 10:29 PM
964Luftballoon
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts

My wife said the same and that I don't dare sell mine. The smile on my face when I drive is priceless and your'e not taking it with you when you go. Mine is very much a work in progress and would not fetch 200k. But she's right...why sell a childhood dream?

Originally Posted by eddieb4

Old 12-08-2021, 10:35 PM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, that's incredibly strong money! Makes me kind of wish I left mine black on black! I'm starting to agree, I drove (and still drive) the hell out of mine but the values are making it harder every day. At 60k, no biggie, 80k okay, once we talk 6 figures and I look around at a traffic light with all the other drivers on their phones, makes me want to run home and park the 964 back in the garage! And I tell you, if someone was to offer me $125k I'd be VERY hard pressed to turn that down! Congrats to both the owner and seller. Seller must be grinning and the new owner will be grinning after a few minutes behind the wheel. A true win-win
Old 12-09-2021, 10:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jmw1234
Anthony

Hard to determine value in this Market but I have to think that headwork by xtreme motec and ohlins ttx w a regear and bespoke rods and cams on an original paint no story rsa w 66k miles has got to be worth close to 300k.... but not selling and adding bbi uprights

There was a time not long ago when stock was king and any modifications devalued the car. Today it seems whichever way the wind is blowing. I still think an original paint and mechanical car is king to the average collector but it seems there are those willing to pay up and don't care about originality. On paper your car sounds great (not making a judgement I know it is well done) but as a buyer I would need to know what was actually done with photos and who tuned it before spending up for a modified car.

I am still working on my slick top conversion my car will be better than new when done. For now relatively stock engine and transmission with rebuilt LSD and only 60k miles. MCS 2 way, HD bushings, big brake update in black and multiple sets of wheels from cupI's to Fikse's and much more. I have no idea what it could bring but in this world I suspect huge money as well. My track car is a full RSR build with twin turbo engine when done I suspect it could find some serious coin for it. Heck I have people offering me $40k for my RSR factory speedlines. Not long ago that bought you a nice C2. LOL

I was offered $600k for my 94 turbo and have multiple people in line begging me to sell it to them (blank check offers whatever that means) I can't bring myself to sell. I enjoy the newer cars but I have little need for them and prefer the air-cooled with the 964 tops on my list. It is like selling my home in this market. I can get huge money but then where do I move to that won't cost as much or more.

After owning air-cooled Porsche's for nearly 45 years and my current stable for at least 1-20 years depending on the car as much as I love these I have to scratch my head and say are any of these worth multiple 6 figures? It is ironic that 20 years ago I was posting how these cars are worth more than their MSRP and people scoffed and laughed at me. Today I am saying are they worth multiples of that. I don't have a crystal ball to answer those questions but you have to wonder where this is all heading.

Ironically the ex-club racer C4 converted to C2 I picked up for $33k back in January is one of the most fun Porsche's I have ever owned. I currently have a US spec Cup car in my garage I am working on and IMO the club racer is nearly identical in driving experience. It dynoed the same HP same gearing has bigger brakes and mechanically is well done despite the body damage. I guess the best part is if anything happens I don't care. Driving around in a car I know is not replaceable cost as much as many peoples houses IMO takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the experience.

I'm starting to get dizzy with these numbers. Round and round it goes where it stops nobody knows.

Last edited by cobalt; 12-09-2021 at 10:08 AM.
heliolps2 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 10:09 AM
Jmw1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobalt
There was a time not long ago when stock was king and any modifications devalued the car. Today it seems whichever way the wind is blowing. I still think an original paint and mechanical car is king to the average collector but it seems there are those willing to pay up and don't care about originality. On paper your car sounds great (not making a judgement I know it is well done) but as a buyer I would need to know what was actually done with photos and who tuned it before spending up for a modified car.

I am still working on my slick top conversion my car will be better than new when done. For now relatively stock engine and transmission with rebuilt LSD and only 60k miles. MCS 2 way, HD bushings, big brake update in black and multiple sets of wheels from cupI's to Fikse's and much more. I have no idea what it could bring but in this world I suspect huge money as well. My track car is a full RSR build with twin turbo engine when done I suspect it could find some serious coin for it. Heck I have people offering me $40k for my RSR factory speedlines. Not long ago that bought you a nice C2. LOL

I was offered $600k for my 94 turbo and have multiple people in line begging me to sell it to them (blank check offers whatever that means) I can't bring myself to sell. I enjoy the newer cars but I have little need for them and prefer the air-cooled with the 964 tops on my list. It is like selling my home in this market. I can get huge money but then where do I move to that won't cost as much or more.

After owning air-cooled Porsche's for nearly 45 years and my current stable for at least 1-20 years depending on the car as much as I love these I have to scratch my head and say are any of these worth multiple 6 figures? It is ironic that 20 years ago I was posting how these cars are worth more than their MSRP and people scoffed and laughed at me. Today I am saying are they worth multiples of that. I don't have a crystal ball to answer those questions but you have to wonder where this is all heading.

Ironically the ex-club racer C4 converted to C2 I picked up for $33k back in January is one of the most fun Porsche's I have ever owned. I currently have a US spec Cup car in my garage I am working on and IMO the club racer is nearly identical in driving experience. It dynoed the same HP same gearing has bigger brakes and mechanically is well done despite the body damage. I guess the best part is if anything happens I don't care. Driving around in a car I know is not replaceable cost as much as many peoples houses IMO takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the experience.

I'm starting to get dizzy with these numbers. Round and round it goes where it stops nobody knows.

Best of best

Dawes

Xtreme

Dema Elgin

Mirage Int'l

Old 12-09-2021, 10:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jmw1234
Best of best

Dawes

Xtreme

Dema Elgin

Mirage Int'l

I was making a general reference as I noted I wasn't judging your cars build. I was attempting to point out that throwing money at a car doesn't always make it better. I know Dawes from >35 years ago and his ex partners. There are many names out there. Some could make something special from those parts but not always. None of these guys are infallible despite their reputations. I have seen an occasional horror story come out of some of the best names in the business.

There are so many factors why one car sells for more than another. I have been checking these out for people for nearly 20 years now and have seen more bad than good. It is very much the flavor of the month with this stuff. I knew of a 3.6T with an IA Steven Kasper build. 15 years ago there was no better name in the business today people ask who?? A great build that couldn't bring stock pricing because nobody knows what he was capable of doing anymore.

Again this comment is not addressing your build at all just things I have observed.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:37 AM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
It all depends on 2 swinging dix bidding at the same time, it isn't really market value.
well my swinging dick won…….try and find a black RSA anywhere right now. Gotta pay to play IMO.

Last edited by 964TURBOCHAS; 12-09-2021 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-09-2021, 02:49 PM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

Crazy conversation, I love it. In full transparency - I had an old (1968) 911 that I fixed up nicely and sold - hoping to have enough cash to buy a 964, knowing they are getting out of control as we are saying. With a little saving and selling the 68, I was able to find a C2 with 95k miles VERY clean and original 1993.

At the time (September of this year, 2021), I thought I overpaid by 20k, when I paid 85,000. It is all original outside of coil overs/original cup1's and side decal.... all the way down to the windshield, with a documented history and binder of receipts.

After seeing how the market is going, I feel like I bought a few shares of 1999 Amazon.

My ultimate dream is a 964 Turbo, but that is slowly slipping away. I guess I don't mind as much anymore because I am loving this C2 so much. I mean....I love the thing. Outside of monoballs and some tasteful upgrades - it will remain original (or easily returned to it.).

So, to be honest - I love seeing the prices go up - but....Knowing there are people looking to buy, it sucks, just like it sucks to say I'll probably never have a 964 Turbo, let alone a 3.8. 600k offer? Haters will hate, but I'd say congrats bro, that is awesome - and you should feel like a king knowing you will shortly have a 1mill$ car....especially with the bad boys auction in Jan - that will boost awareness and hit the market too. Enjoy the ride. I'm on Long Island and would love to see it sometime @cobalt .

Cheers - (instagarm @maddoxpaddocks)

Here is my pride and joy:

The following 5 users liked this post by dmaddox:
964TURBOCHAS (12-09-2021), 9SIX4-C4 (12-11-2021), heliolps2 (12-09-2021), Ken D (12-09-2021), velocitylover (12-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale