Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 07:46 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by RSA964993
I’m hoping to get some opinions or maybe someone knows this car. It started off as a C4 Cabriolet and has been modified into a tribute car. I have a friend who has been trying to get a 964 and came across this. I’m giving him direction but figured the real experts are here. I was a little shocked when he said they wanted $190K for it. That seems excessive for a modded C4 Cab but I don’t know if there is a lot of money into this build. It’s a dealer out of FL called K2 Motorcars. Here is the link.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...1/2476477.html

Any advice, opinions or if someone knows the car...I’d love to give my friend some helpful information.

Thanks.
If this was a cab and converted into this then the labor hours of work would justify that asking price. However, that does not mean that the finished product justifies the asking price. You can tell your friend, run or pass, whichever option appeals to be more chivalrous. For nearly $2Bills you can have whatever 1% top condition/low miles narrow body 964 there is on the market today. Glad you stopped by. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2021, 08:05 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Yeah I'd rather have a great 80k 964 than that car, regardless of price.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
If you had an unlimited budget, wouldn't you want to build a hot rod from the best possible example as a starting point?
Actually IMO if you plan to do a complete rebuild I look for the car that is unloved. I would prefer to leave the clean unmolested cars for those who want one. It is actually less expensive to rebuild a car with needs than spending up for a clean car and doing everything over. To do it right requires tearing everything down and addressing age related items and modifying things. I picked up this unloved car my wife finds repulsive but when I am done it will be a car I think most any 964 lover would enjoy. I removed the gold decals but sadly the green is paint and the car started life as cobalt. The fenders are damaged but the tub is fine and the parts needing repair will all be removed and WB panels installed. The bones are fine and the price quite reasonable. I wish more cars like this became project cars but far too many nice examples are being bastardized for singers and the like. For now this is a spare track car but once the other one is finished this will be an RSR street car.

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
People get so rustled over low mileage time capsules but most people want to enjoy the car as Porsche intended, not drive someone else's modded interpretation of what it should be. It's why condition & mileage is king and always will be.
There are as many buyers for well sorted modified cars as there are looking for time capsules or just nice drivers. Seems to me with all those I speak with most everyone has a different set of criteria for their ideal 964. I have seen some well sorted upgraded cars sell for more than low mile examples in pristine condition. When you add up what the seller put into the build it is usually a wash but still strong money. If this were 10 years ago I would be saying something completely different but buyers wants are changing all the time.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (05-07-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 09:26 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually IMO if you plan to do a complete rebuild I look for the car that is unloved. I would prefer to leave the clean unmolested cars for those who want one. It is actually less expensive to rebuild a car with needs than spending up for a clean car and doing everything over.
THIS!

with interest in 964s at an all-time high, it only makes sense (to me) to save the remaining nice examples. to be honest, it would make more sense to back-date 993 coupes, as there are more of them and, at the moment, less interest in the NBs. as i've been told, with demand for back-dates is still high and based on what can be charged for them, the trend might not slow down any time soon. personally, i think it would be a shame to lose more and more 964s for a 'restomod' that may not always be more desirable.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:03 AM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually IMO if you plan to do a complete rebuild I look for the car that is unloved. I would prefer to leave the clean unmolested cars for those who want one. It is actually less expensive to rebuild a car with needs than spending up for a clean car and doing everything over. To do it right requires tearing everything down and addressing age related items and modifying things.
I completely respect the idea of leaving the unmolested cars as is for the future. I'm just acknowledging that some buyers simply don't care, and if I had all the money in the world, I'd have a hard time buying a beat up car to make into my dream 964.

I've only done it one way and you clearly have more experience. However, I do find it hard to believe there isn't a case to be made on the other side of that argument of cost vs starting point. One example is that I had to spend a small fortune sourcing a low mile crank and matching intermediate shaft when I rebuild the motor in my previously unloved 964. These are the types of issues you surely would avoid if you start with an ultra low mile example.

I guess it depends on the level of build/hot rod you intend. If you just want a nice driver with springs/dampers, wheels, goldenrod, and an exhaust, a 19k mile car is certainly a nicer thing to have than an unloved car.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
I completely respect the idea of leaving the unmolested cars as is for the future. I'm just acknowledging that some buyers simply don't care, and if I had all the money in the world, I'd have a hard time buying a beat up car to make into my dream 964.

I've only done it one way and you clearly have more experience. However, I do find it hard to believe there isn't a case to be made on the other side of that argument of cost vs starting point. One example is that I had to spend a small fortune sourcing a low mile crank and matching intermediate shaft when I rebuild the motor in my previously unloved 964. These are the types of issues you surely would avoid if you start with an ultra low mile example.

I guess it depends on the level of build/hot rod you intend. If you just want a nice driver with springs/dampers, wheels, goldenrod, and an exhaust, a 19k mile car is certainly a nicer thing to have than an unloved car.

No doubt if you are looking to do bolt on reversible mods if you can afford the best why not. But for full builds as many of these are it is a waste of a good 964 and money. Far too many open check book buyers these days that have more money than brains IMO. If I had all the money in the world why not buy a car with needs and spend the money as needed what would it matter when money means little? I usually replace many of the factory parts as singer does and have parts custom built anyhow. Essentially you want a straight tub and a sound engine case and transmission housing, but honestly a good shop can repair anything. The $30-50k or more saved on buying a basket case can go a long way if you know what to look for and have access to those who know what to do.

I see open checkbook builds and people spending so much more than they need to. $50k on an engine build that should have cost $25k and $80k on poor paint and metal fabrication. Her is an a example not a 964 but what was a pristine clean early tub car that the owner wanted an RS clone. He paid a shop nearly $80k for body extensions and full paint job. The shop is well known CA specializing in 911's and the owner through huge money at it. They took him for a ride apparently as a year later the car started having issues. The miles of filler used was disgusting and amateur work all day long. This car started life as a low mile pristine example and now the owner is paying a second time to have it done properly.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
9SIX4-C4 (05-07-2021), PO968 (05-09-2021)
Old 05-07-2021, 03:08 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

Hard pass on that C4 cab conversion for $190k. That's insanity!!! Obviously extensive labor but not worth it for the end result IMO.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:23 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
THIS!

with interest in 964s at an all-time high, it only makes sense (to me) to save the remaining nice examples. to be honest, it would make more sense to back-date 993 coupes, as there are more of them and, at the moment, less interest in the NBs. as i've been told, with demand for back-dates is still high and based on what can be charged for them, the trend might not slow down any time soon. personally, i think it would be a shame to lose more and more 964s for a 'restomod' that may not always be more desirable.
I believe that the reason for 964s being used much more frequently for back dating are the trailing arms in the rear (closer to the older cars suspension) and body design make it easier to keep the classic 911 look and feel over the 993 where subtle difference to the deck lid, rear quarters and front end involve much more work to achieve the backdate look. If 964 prices continue to climb and become more scarce perhaps these factors will be overcome I only know of one company in that is doing 993 based back dates Kaege Retro in Germany.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (05-08-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 08:23 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Stronger price than I thought it would bring ... makes me feel really good about my Fashion Gray ground up restoration.
I have had a number of unsolicited inquiries about buying it (it's NOT for sale).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-7/
Old 05-18-2021, 08:42 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieb4
Stronger price than I thought it would bring ... makes me feel really good about my Fashion Gray ground up restoration.
I have had a number of unsolicited inquiries about buying it (it's NOT for sale).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911-carrera-7/
Wow, that was very strong money for that car. Makes me regret not buying one of the 9m cars last year...
Old 05-18-2021, 09:01 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts

Ludicrous pricing. 2 horse race from the $115k mark + $25k after that. I’m glad I got into this game years ago when I could. My goodness....
Old 05-18-2021, 10:45 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Looking at a result like that, then thinking back to the full rotisserie restoration Ninemeister 9m64RS on pcarmarket that sold for the same price some months ago, it still amazes me how someone practically stole that 9M car.

Last edited by Vandit; 05-19-2021 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:07 AM
wru
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 149 Posts

so hard to comprehend what's happening in this market.

My 964 is a full hotrod build with essentially stock (but rebuilt) motor. The last of the cosmetic stuff was detailed in a thread Moe Mistry put up, but i never included any of the mechanical work details. The money was spent in suspension, brakes, shifting, setup, and redoing things that needed redone. I've had a number of inquiries, but they range from "I don't understand what makes it so expensive" to "just tell me what it will take to buy it". And then you see one like this that bids from 115 in a frenzy to get it... just makes you wonder what's reality these days.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:21 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Not sure, that 9M car had a bad story. Misplaced parts and drivetrain. End result was nice, but stories are never good. Just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:24 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

And the 9M car could not be replicated for even $200k yet only got bid and sold for $140ish. It's like there are folks chomping at the bit to throw down six-figures but know little to nothing about what they're buying.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale