Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 04:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
By bet is $74k plus bat fee.
Hopefully the seller comes through with some solid answers to the questions posted. My hunch is that it’s had a full respray, the paint meter readings will confirm. I agree if no stories this thing will do very well, there’s tons of interest already and what a stunning color combo.

Hope it does well as it means I can spend more on mine without feeling bad
The following 2 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
JAB12 (09-04-2020), JAM2 (09-05-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 05:23 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB12
Great color & nice presentation.
Funny, that nowhere did I see noted this as a C2. (Which it is, I believe.) Seller's missing some gee-gaw points there, imho.
East coast salted roads showing their little evidence on rear exhaust bits. Still... not horrible.
Wish MY front bumper's under black plastic transition looked as well as this car's!

Final trivial note: I'd never seen that engine bay's Shell sticker put on the body before.
Seen it slapped on the engine fan's top, or on the air duct off the fan... but never on the body. Eh. It's a weird, weird world.

Edit: Concerning that last -- Look no further than here for an example of this pasting. Ya learn something new every day!

Last edited by elbeee964; 09-04-2020 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:26 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Hopefully the seller comes through with some solid answers to the questions posted. My hunch is that it’s had a full respray, the paint meter readings will confirm. I agree if no stories this thing will do very well, there’s tons of interest already and what a stunning color combo.

Hope it does well as it means I can spend more on mine without feeling bad
a repainted car can be a positive if done well. Tough to tell on BAT though
Old 09-04-2020, 05:28 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

lol @ the person in the comments who is confused about whether the car is a C2 or not because it doesn't have the correct badge on the lid. As if the singular **** on the center console isn't clearly visible in the interior pictures. These auctions get commented and hyped up by folks who I am not sure know what they're looking at or looking for.

The car isn't even on real Cup wheels but the auction description would have you think it was. No mention of "Cup style" anywhere and no one has called it out in the comments yet. Just another example of the lack of understanding by many participants on that site.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I agree it seems to be mostly surface. I am assuming some minor pitting but nothing to be concerned over and the fan which is the critical part looks fine enough.

What process did you use to blast the mag if the grit contains any iron or was used to blast steel parts that could be the issue. You need to prep the mag parts for paint and should be washed and dried immediately after any blasting. Within an hour or so after that they should either have a chemical conversion performed or at least an acid wash prime applied.
bead or water blast I believe. Not sand. the process was cerakote I believe.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:15 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
lol @ the person in the comments who is confused about whether the car is a C2 or not because it doesn't have the correct badge on the lid. As if the singular **** on the center console isn't clearly visible in the interior pictures. These auctions get commented and hyped up by folks who I am not sure know what they're looking at or looking for.

The car isn't even on real Cup wheels but the auction description would have you think it was. No mention of "Cup style" anywhere and no one has called it out in the comments yet. Just another example of the lack of understanding by many participants on that site.
You should comment on the wheels there so others can get ‘educated’. That listing overall lacks most of the obvious photos most people will ask or would expect. Options sticker, paint metering, what happened to rear badge, photos or records recent and previous, we can go on and on. This said, BAT is the one that composes the listing, the seller only provides the photos and some bullet point notes on the car.

The gaps in mileage on the car fax are a flag and in my opinion no way this car has only traveled less than 200 miles since summer 2014. Hopefully seller actually answers some of these inquiries. Otherwise car looks nice in a rare color combo.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:19 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Default BAT bidding

Someone in here please explain to me what is the point of bidding in the $20s $30s or even $40s on a car like this, get the 5% hold on your credit card and all that?? For several days even a week plus. I still don’t get it. Car is on a reserve and it will not sell for $20,$30, or $40s....this one may not even sell in the $50s based on the first day buzz it has created and I bet the reserve is at $60, maybe more.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:46 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Guess they heard me (read me)... now at $55K, barely 6 hours listed. SMH....
Old 09-05-2020, 10:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Beautiful targa. No doubt it has been worked on and made over. Someone put a lot of work into it. The underside is not as clean as the topside and some things are clearly reworked. Some simple bolts and screws are missing as well. The center tunnel cover is the wrong finish and the engine has been gone over. I would agree paint readings should show a full respray. Not an issue if done properly and not covering up accident damage. The issue is, is it the proper color? The cobalt blue AR that sold back in March I have been helping out with has an excellent respray very well done but the color isn't the same as my original paint and doesn't color shift like my car. Would need to see it for sure. I agree Cup style wheels never seem to be noted is that a BaT thing or seller? I am late to the game but the title does say C2 so was this changed? Underside will tell you as well in a second.

The shell stickers get moved around along with others over the years. This a late 91 nearly a 92 build my 93 has the shell sticker where this one is and AFAIK the 92's did as well. The turbos did also.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:36 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Beautiful targa. No doubt it has been worked on and made over. Someone put a lot of work into it. The underside is not as clean as the topside and some things are clearly reworked. Some simple bolts and screws are missing as well. The center tunnel cover is the wrong finish and the engine has been gone over. I would agree paint readings should show a full respray. Not an issue if done properly and not covering up accident damage. The issue is, is it the proper color? The cobalt blue AR that sold back in March I have been helping out with has an excellent respray very well done but the color isn't the same as my original paint and doesn't color shift like my car. Would need to see it for sure. I agree Cup style wheels never seem to be noted is that a BaT thing or seller? I am late to the game but the title does say C2 so was this changed? Underside will tell you as well in a second.

The shell stickers get moved around along with others over the years. This a late 91 nearly a 92 build my 93 has the shell sticker where this one is and AFAIK the 92's did as well. The turbos did also.
They edited the title, this is why the C2/C4 questions were posed. I saw the center console and immediately knew it was a C2 for the additional dial missing but asked the question anyway go prompt
the seller to respond. Attached is how the original notification email was received, no mention of it being a ‘Targa 2’ as it now shows.

Original email notification

Old 09-05-2020, 12:42 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Seller needs to answer the hard questions as listing is very vague. They probably are less motivated to entertain thise questions since the bid is high early in the listing. The omission of Cup style description is a BAT thing, they are the ones that write up the listings. When I reviewed the listing of my recently sold 993 4S it was clearly steered towards driving up the price to novices on the knowledge of these cars. I was disappointed in them (again) and happy the car sold in here instead via my own drafted RL Ad. Same happened for my C43.

This targa listing is no different. No option sticker? That is like a basic photo to post. If not underhood then at least open the service booklet and show it. I am not crazy about eggplant but intrigued by the rarity. Let’s see what happens in the next 3-4 days.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:19 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Seller needs to answer the hard questions as listing is very vague. They probably are less motivated to entertain thise questions since the bid is high early in the listing. The omission of Cup style description is a BAT thing, they are the ones that write up the listings. When I reviewed the listing of my recently sold 993 4S it was clearly steered towards driving up the price to novices on the knowledge of these cars. I was disappointed in them (again) and happy the car sold in here instead via my own drafted RL Ad. Same happened for my C43.

This targa listing is no different. No option sticker? That is like a basic photo to post. If not underhood then at least open the service booklet and show it. I am not crazy about eggplant but intrigued by the rarity. Let’s see what happens in the next 3-4 days.
I’ upping my bet to $81k. Most 30 year old cars have sorting except all of your (Rennlister cars). Most eyes on this not Rennlisters. It’s gonna go high. Rare targa... even more rare color.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:44 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

@TexasPorschelover You really think it will break $80K? After fees and transport and later tax, title, tag that is a $90k plus car. At that price should need nothing.
The following 2 users liked this post by JAB12:
JAM2 (09-05-2020), L39E (09-06-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 03:02 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

@TexasPorschelover You really think it will break $80K? After fees and transport and later tax, title, tag that is a $90k plus car. At that price should need nothing.
Is it a private sale car?
Makes a 7% difference here in the great state of Illinois (sarcasm intended).
Lots of unknowns about history, health of motor, paint and mileage.
It looks sweet but at near 90 all in it should have provenance coming out the ****.
The color scheme, apparent condition, stance and nice looking new shoes really help it look good.
If seller spent as much time and effort answering questions as he put in to making the drone / catchy music video production, I'd feel better about bidding on it.
Without a PPI I wouldn't go near 80 for it.

Last edited by eddieb4; 09-05-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:16 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

A friend just bought the polar silver Targa 2 from Vertex on PCAR last week. price was about $55k plus 5% fee.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale