Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
What's the story behind the hood? It definitely reduces the value IMO. For the money they are asking, I would need it to be 100% original and pretty much perfect.
The signal green turbo 3.6 on Pcar https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/1...-signal-green/ Had the entire front end painted, it brought $320k I have no doubt if it were all original paint it would have exceeded $350k. Original paint for a collector car is critical when talking values.

Originally Posted by Trader220
My problem with this car is the seller quotes leak down numbers of 2% or lower. No chance those are true numbers. If the seller is not honest about this or does not know, what else is he not disclosing or doesn't know about?
Pretty sure they're made up... Additionally the sheet below says the test was done in June of 2018 @124,326miles.
According to the carfax this car had 124,180 in April of 2017. It 2017 it was moved to TX and then a year later the registration was renewed in TX and some how it only moved 150 miles in all that time and travel plus the owner made sure the registration was renewed. I am calling TOTAL BS.

First off they did the test cold which is OK but these are closer to F1 engine numbers than 964. The RSA currently on BaT was tested by the same shop showing similar numbers at least these were done on a warm engine but still doubt. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-rs-america-8/ I had a friend who purchased an RSA from these guys and it was sold as all original with similar numbers. When he received the car it ended up being a track rat converted back to street and was completely repainted. The engine when tested here showed numbers in the 8-10% leak down and much lower compression. I wouldn't trust a thing they do. I expect they don't even test them especially since they consistently show numbers in the 1%. My bigger concern with the red car is the paint readings. They show everything as mm. If this is the case this car has more paint on it than 3 964's combined. Yet the seller has not addressed it.

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Wow.
Besides my DIRECTV NOW **** service recording college baseball instead of formula one this thread has given me much laughter evening
Will someone tell me what happened yesterday. I was running a wine tasting for our local PCA and had it on in the other room. When I left Vettel was in the lead and Hamilton was 1.5 down. Next I know Hamilton was in the lead and Vettel was gone and angry???
Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I am convinced that the numbers on the velvet red car are total fabrication. Not only are the numbers unrealistic, the time line and miles don't work with the carfax reported miles and the current miles. Someone is going to buy a turd.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
What's the story behind the hood? It definitely reduces the value IMO. For the money they are asking, I would need it to be 100% original and pretty much perfect.
OK, my understanding is that it hasn't been painted. Original owner says it wasn't but then it changed hands to a guy last year... he was the one messaging people on here to buy the car and had mentioned the paint had a slightly thicker paint meter reading on the hood, which implied it was painted. So a couple of these people messaged me to point this out, which I greatly appreciate btw. The whole car ranges from 4.5 to 6.2ish and the hood was in the mid 6's. The patina on the hood matches the patina on the rest of the car and it has had two shops confirm that it's original paint. l guess it's not unusual for slight variance in paint meter readings, especially for a panel like the hood which probably wasn't on the car when it was sprayed. Can anyone chime in on this?
Old 06-10-2019, 12:00 PM
Trader220
Race Car

I've metered hundreds of air cooled 911's. Obviously the paint is not as uniformed as a modern car. Readings in the 6's are high but not off the scale for what could be factory. If they're in the 6's over large area's than I would conclude those areas were painted. For example if the entire hood, or an entire door or fender was in the 6's its a pretty safe bet its been repainted.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Will someone tell me what happened yesterday. I was running a wine tasting for our local PCA and had it on in the other room. When I left Vettel was in the lead and Hamilton was 1.5 down. Next I know Hamilton was in the lead and Vettel was gone and angry???
The stewards enforced the 5 sec penalty on him for going back on the racing line after he lost a bit of control. He argues that he was trying to keep him from going in to the wall which inadvertently caused him to slightly cut off Hamilton. He's lucky Lecler was 6 seconds behind still otherwise he would have ended up in 3rd instead of 2nd.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Infinite1
The stewards enforced the 5 sec penalty on him for going back on the racing line after he lost a bit of control. He argues that he was trying to keep him from going in to the wall which inadvertently caused him to slightly cut off Hamilton. He's lucky Lecler was 6 seconds behind still otherwise he would have ended up in 3rd instead of 2nd.
Vettel is a whiney little ****. Complaining about getting a penalty because he drove off the damn track!!!???!! He made a mistake and the only way to correct it was to short cut the corner and drive over the grass but in some alternate reality I guess that’s ok and anytime you make a mistake you shouldn’t be penalized?????? What a complete idiot. Once again he totally blew it yet wants to blame everyone else but himself. And then his antics post race moving the fist and second place markers???? He should be suspended for that crap...complete disgrace.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:35 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

I've metered hundreds of air cooled 911's. Obviously the paint is not as uniformed as a modern car. Readings in the 6's are high but not off the scale for what could be factory. If they're in the 6's over large area's than I would conclude those areas were painted. For example if the entire hood, or an entire door or fender was in the 6's its a pretty safe bet its been repainted.
Thanks. The whole car ranges from 4.5 to 6.5 with no other outliers. Patina matches also... that doesn't seem to be a very wide variance based on what im seeing in other examples. 4-7 seems to be acceptable variance and repaint is usually well north of 10mil, correct? Sometimes even over 20.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:48 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have seen factory paint with small and I mean small areas read as high as 10mils although rare. Usually one area the size of a quarter. I have seen 7's on original panels but also quite rare. Usually any car that has been driven and polished will read in the 4-5 range although I have seen cars with paintwork read 5&6's. All depends on what was done. These paints were quite soft and the hoods and roofs are the ones that take the most beating usually measuring far less than the rest of the car. I find with most of these cars if you read 4 or 5's elsewhere and 6-7's on the hood that the hood was sprayed usually a lite blend or had been taken down to bare metal and repainted. Hoods more than any other panel usually have a lot of pock marks from road debris and sun. Not chips but more like little spots of porosity or marks that don't penetrate the paint very far. If this isn't present odds are it has been painted.

The question is if it was done properly and nobody can tell without a meter does it matter to you and how much?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:54 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I have seen factory paint with small and I mean small areas read as high as 10mils although rare. Usually one area the size of a quarter. I have seen 7's on original panels but also quite rare. Usually any car that has been driven and polished will read in the 4-5 range although I have seen cars with paintwork read 5&6's. All depends on what was done. These paints were quite soft and the hoods and roofs are the ones that take the most beating usually measuring far less than the rest of the car. I find with most of these cars if you read 4 or 5's elsewhere and 6-7's on the hood that the hood was sprayed usually a lite blend or had been taken down to bare metal and repainted. Hoods more than any other panel usually have a lot of pock marks from road debris and sun. Not chips but more like little spots of porosity or marks that don't penetrate the paint very far. If this isn't present odds are it has been painted.

The question is if it was done properly and nobody can tell without a meter does it matter to you and how much?
That's the whole argument... he's saying all those marks *are* there on the hood matching the same frequency of marks on the front bumper cover and wings to a lesser extent. If it was repainted, why does it show the same level of patina (minimal) that's on the rest of the car?
At this point, I don't think it's enough to scare me off. The person saying it was repainted doesn't actually have knowledge that that happened (just letting people know of the meter readings) and the original owner is saying it wasn't ever done. Not to mention the level of records on this car is incredible.... *everything* is included and I have a hard time thinking the paint work was left off or they decided to do the hood but not the front bumper cover. That would be strange.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:13 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I am not sure I am following this correctly: we are worried about the paint levels on a 130,000 mile car? This is a driver no? Who cares?
Old 06-10-2019, 02:18 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
I am not sure I am following this correctly: we are worried about the paint levels on a 130,000 mile car? This is a driver no? Who cares?
I'm talking about an 18,9xx mile mint green C2 .... sorry about the confusion
Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^
Old 06-10-2019, 03:45 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Ah so, sorry, I was thinking you all had lost your minds. The Velvet red car looks like a bit of a pig to me, who cares how much lipstick it has on?
Old 06-10-2019, 04:00 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Ah so, sorry, I was thinking you all had lost your minds. The Velvet red car looks like a bit of a pig to me, who cares how much lipstick it has on?
My explanation still doesn't mean I haven't lost my mind! LOL

Yeah, not sure about that velvet car... looks like the PO chimed in and said it has had a ton of repair work to it. Auction ending in 20 minutes, let's see where it ends up.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:35 PM
Trader220
Race Car

The car sold for just over $48,500 https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-carrera-4-18/

Probably not a bad deal, I just could not get past the numbers about the motor. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale