Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
I also don't get it. I have my 94 for sale. 80,000mi. No engine rebuild, but leak down #s are all really close. 6-8% across all cylinders. uses about .5Qt of oil a year or 2500mi. the right mods I am told. after the auction fee, it sold for more than the asking price on my car. strange market...
No offense intended, but you asked... Your car seems to be in lovely condition with a great set of mods. However, the interior is a bit polarizing, I would think. I personally wouldn't duplicate the major exterior color with the interior like that. It's too easy to get the shade of red slightly off and it begins to clash. However, there may be a buyer out there that really digs it. It just means you're going to have to wait for that buyer, and it may take a bit longer.

Or alternatively, you could modify the interior a bit to make it more conventional.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
That seems like a pretty good price although I would have preferred a different interior color. Wish I would have seen this when it was up for sale. The mint green has black interior. Do you think more than double the miles presents only a 15% discount at that range?

That's kind of where I was at, but he's saying he has a black one with 30k miles that he was offered 110k on and they didn't take it.

They are asking.... ready for this.................. ?????? ......... $170k... ALL the money like I said. Says he has 20 guys who have reached out to him but that's car sales for you. I'm "next in line".
I'd probably do 140k-ish because it really is perfect and verified no paint work, but just having a really hard time getting my head around the numbers. I'd spend it if I knew that's actually what the car was worth and was heading north from there, but I've yet to have anyone tell me "yeah, I think it's worth 170k"
Not sure there's a single comp for something like this.
Oh man... love the black interior on a mint car. Does it have sport seats?

I actually almost said $125-150K so I don't think where you're at with $140K is crazy. I know you've thought this but where are you going to find another one? Do you have two 964's? If so, I'd blow those two out and get the mint one, ball out on a ultra rare car.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd make sure to drive it and with the rest of my stable getting rotation, wouldn't be adding a ton of miles to it.... I might just have to be patient and wait out the impulse and see if it drops at all. I don't even think he knows what it's worth and the first guy "had something come up" so I'm next in line. You know how that goes... guys say anything when you're in the car game.
Hate to sound cliché but it’s worth what someone will pay for it. And, I think someone will definitely pay $170k....just takes the right buyer to come along. For me tho...there are plenty of other cars out there I’d rather have for that kind of money.
I hope you get it 👍
Old 06-07-2019, 03:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I'd make sure to drive it and with the rest of my stable getting rotation, wouldn't be adding a ton of miles to it.... I might just have to be patient and wait out the impulse and see if it drops at all. I don't even think he knows what it's worth and the first guy "had something come up" so I'm next in line. You know how that goes... guys say anything when you're in the car game.
At that price point the question I would be asking is where are 964 prices headed? Will we continue to see prices go up as they have been or will they level out. At that price I would also start cross shopping a 997.2 GT3 RS which is maybe 15% more and a ton more car for the money, but that is clearly my opinion and preference.

Do you really want a unique color 964 that badly and is it a life long goal to have one, if yes then here’s your chance.

As far as the next in line tactic, that sounds like typical car salesman BS to me. RPM did something similar to me when I was chasing a low mileage 993. They said they had another buyer lined up offering more than me, I said that’s more than I think it’s worth and they should go for it. They sat on that car for nearly 12 months after that conversation.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
At that price point the question I would be asking is where are 964 prices headed? Will we continue to see prices go up as they have been or will they level out. At that price I would also start cross shopping a 997.2 GT3 RS which is maybe 15% more and a ton more car for the money, but that is clearly my opinion and preference.

Do you really want a unique color 964 that badly and is it a life long goal to have one, if yes then here’s your chance.

As far as the next in line tactic, that sounds like typical car salesman BS to me. RPM did something similar to me when I was chasing a low mileage 993. They said they had another buyer lined up offering more than me and ready to go that the were going to entertain and I said that’s more than I think it’s worth and they should go for it. The sat on that car for nearly 12 months after that conversation.
exactly the car I had in mind...While I love period correct sports cars, I’m also a speed junkie and for close to 200k it better have some get up and go. But thats just me I guess...
Old 06-07-2019, 03:13 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dtronics
Oh man... love the black interior on a mint car. Does it have sport seats?

I actually almost said $125-150K so I don't think where you're at with $140K is crazy. I know you've thought this but where are you going to find another one? Do you have two 964's? If so, I'd blow those two out and get the mint one, ball out on a ultra rare car.
Doesn't have sports seats but it has LSD and Cup 1s options on the factory sticker. And yeah, I have two C2s right now... I'd probably sell the slate gray one since it has fewer miles and closer to original although Goldcrest is going through my checklist right now and I'm sure I'll have a $5-7,000 bill on that when it's time to pick it up. My guards red one has so much much into it and is perfectly sorted, but I feel less bad about driving it a lot with 90k miles on it.

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Hate to sound cliché but it’s worth what someone will pay for it. And, I think someone will definitely pay $170k....just takes the right buyer to come along. For me tho...there are plenty of other cars out there I’d rather have for that kind of money.
I hope you get it 👍
So if I say "hollar at me when you can do 150k" that day probably won't come huh?? That's what I'm afraid of. I already have my "other car I'd rather have for that kind of money" (GT3 touring) and the 964 C2 is literally my favorite car and this is my favorite of all the colors. Don't think I'd have another chance at this. Ugh.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

That seems like a pretty good price although I would have preferred a different interior color. Wish I would have seen this when it was up for sale. The mint green has black interior. Do you think more than double the miles presents only a 15% discount at that range?

That's kind of where I was at, but he's saying he has a black one with 30k miles that he was offered 110k on and they didn't take it.

They are asking.... ready for this.................. ?????? ......... $170k... ALL the money like I said. Says he has 20 guys who have reached out to him but that's car sales for you. I'm "next in line".
I'd probably do 140k-ish because it really is perfect and verified no paint work, but just having a really hard time getting my head around the numbers. I'd spend it if I knew that's actually what the car was worth and was heading north from there, but I've yet to have anyone tell me "yeah, I think it's worth 170k"
I saw that car on instagram and knew they were going to be asking a pretty penny. It will most likely go into a collection if it's perfect. Doubt there is another one out there with that low mileage. What's $170k when your worth 10s if not 100s of millions.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

So if I say "hollar at me when you can do 150k" that day probably won't come huh?? That's what I'm afraid of. I already have my "other car I'd rather have for that kind of money" (GT3 touring) and the 964 C2 is literally my favorite car and this is my favorite of all the colors. Don't think I'd have another chance at this. Ugh.
Unfortunately, I think you've answered your own question...And as previously suggested (and since you have your Touring) I'd dump the other two 964's for this one in a heartbeat. GOOD LUCK!!!
EDIT - My only concern with the car would be that it hasn't been driven enough and will need a ton of maintenance...
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
BAT s*it crazy. This is my favorite example. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-15/

BAT is the best place to sell a 964 these days. Lots of cars coming out of the woodwork due to the increased demand.
Ha that is the car they banned me for my comments being non constructive. A hose who on what not to do when building a 964. This car redefines there is an *** for every seat. In this case it was a huge one.

When . the market started going crazy a friend of mine sold a 12k mile C4 5 speed for $116k It was cherry. Mint green is a unique great color but not everyones first choice. If it were signal green maybe $150k. $170k is crack overdose and they will sit on it for a few years pricing. For $170k I can find you a low mile mint 3.3L turbo which I would rather have myself but turbos aren't for everyone either. You can also have a real 3.6RS for that money maybe not a perfect one but it is still an RS.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

As far as the next in line tactic, that sounds like typical car salesman BS to me. RPM did something similar to me when I was chasing a low mileage 993. They said they had another buyer lined up offering more than me, I said that’s more than I think it’s worth and they should go for it. They sat on that car for nearly 12 months after that conversation.
Typical of all sales people trying to get you to pay more. They can afford to sit on it and will get their price but these prices are just down right stupid. I'll sell you my track car for $170k maritime blue and is IMO better than my 3.6T but that will take a bit more to pry from my cold dead hands LOL. You can't compare the water cooled to the air-cooled both have a lot to offer in different ways. If you have $170k to spend on a 964 C2 you have another $200k+ to spend for a 997.2 GT3RS
Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
No offense intended, but you asked... Your car seems to be in lovely condition with a great set of mods. However, the interior is a bit polarizing, I would think. I personally wouldn't duplicate the major exterior color with the interior like that. It's too easy to get the shade of red slightly off and it begins to clash. However, there may be a buyer out there that really digs it. It just means you're going to have to wait for that buyer, and it may take a bit longer.

Or alternatively, you could modify the interior a bit to make it more conventional.
I'm really glad you brought it up. Honestly, it never occurred to me that it might be more polarizing and I don't know why i didn't include this in the ad. I'll add this picture. I have the black alcantera inserts as well. If people think I've got bad taste in red hounds tooth, here is a better option.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:36 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
I saw that car on instagram and knew they were going to be asking a pretty penny. It will most likely go into a collection if it's perfect. Doubt there is another one out there with that low mileage. What's $170k when your worth 10s if not 100s of millions.
How close to $10mm net worth do I have to be to use that reasoning? ... I'm still a young guy in my 30s, but isn't this when I'm supposed to be doing some dumb things every now and then? LOL
My wife didn't actually shut down the idea, which amazed me (she loves Tiffany so maybe the color connection got her). This car would get driven at least once a month miles be damned. I hate the idea of it getting warehoused by some uber rich old guy looking for another trophy.

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Unfortunately, I think you've answered your own question...And as previously suggested (and since you have your Touring) I'd dump the other two 964's for this one in a heartbeat. GOOD LUCK!!!
EDIT - My only concern with the car would be that it hasn't been driven enough and will need a ton of maintenance...
I'll dump at least one of the other 964s, but just got a single post lift put in my second garage this week so I don't really need to get rid of both of them. I think three C2s would be overkill though.
The concern about not being driven enough is very valid. He's welcomed me to come up and see it, take it to get inspected, etc... probably would have to make that trip before taking the full plunge.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:43 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
When . the market started going crazy a friend of mine sold a 12k mile C4 5 speed for $116k It was cherry. Mint green is a unique great color but not everyones first choice. If it were signal green maybe $150k. $170k is crack overdose and they will sit on it for a few years pricing. For $170k I can find you a low mile mint 3.3L turbo which I would rather have myself but turbos aren't for everyone either. You can also have a real 3.6RS for that money maybe not a perfect one but it is still an RS.

Typical of all sales people trying to get you to pay more. They can afford to sit on it and will get their price but these prices are just down right stupid. I'll sell you my track car for $170k maritime blue and is IMO better than my 3.6T but that will take a bit more to pry from my cold dead hands LOL. You can't compare the water cooled to the air-cooled both have a lot to offer in different ways. If you have $170k to spend on a 964 C2 you have another $200k+ to spend for a 997.2 GT3RS
This is good feedback, I've had others tell me I should just get an RS also. I think he's willing to go $150-160 for a no-drama sale... he's into it a fair amount and a young guy himself so I'm not sure how long he wants to sit on his investment... I'd personally rather have the mint than signal. The other side of this is he really wants some crypto and I hit it big with some early ****coin (not bitcoin) investments and I could transfer him some without having to sell/withdraw and pay tax on it... at least until the new Digital Asset Taxonomy act clarifies everything.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Ha that is the car they banned me for my comments being non constructive. A hose who on what not to do when building a 964. This car redefines there is an *** for every seat. In this case it was a huge one.
LOL - I was banned for my comments in that thread also...and perhaps a few other

Since we're comparing cars this one just landed on BAT and it sounds pretty nice:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...l_notification

Old 06-07-2019, 03:59 PM
JesusFast
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

TONY!

BUY IT!

You're welcome.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:42 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

This is good feedback, I've had others tell me I should just get an RS also. I think he's willing to go $150-160 for a no-drama sale... he's into it a fair amount and a young guy himself so I'm not sure how long he wants to sit on his investment... I'd personally rather have the mint than signal. The other side of this is he really wants some crypto and I hit it big with some early ****coin (not bitcoin) investments and I could transfer him some without having to sell/withdraw and pay tax on it... at least until the new Digital Asset Taxonomy act clarifies everything.
I think the uber low mileage all original "premium" is a big variable. I looked at and passed on a 1992 mint green RS in France 2 weeks ago. Car sold for $215K US. It was ~90,000km. Had a full glass out repaint, engine refresh, etc. Wasn't a museum car, but was a very nice mint green RS. the car you mention I would see being a $150k car. But you get close to $170, and you just aren't that far from a car that is in another category IMO.

Good luck!
Matt

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale