Sponsored by:

Great AMERICAN 964s for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:02 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by tjb616
If by "jumping the title" you mean attempting to avoid the taxes by never registering it in their name, but passing it directly from the previous owner to the buyer, then yes that's exactly what they tried to do to me. The issue was they ****ed up the title by trying to cross out a date so the DMV wouldn't accept it. Then had to jump through hoops to get a new title issued in their name from a DMV on the other side of the country, pay the taxes, and then reissue it to me.
ummm dealers don't "Jump titles" and don't need to get a title in their name and register a car, there is a part that says dealer reassigment on the back of the title the dealer just writes their name in. Your situation was probably something different, maybe previous owner didn't sign correct spot, or pre dated it or wrote wrong date when they signed it. it happens..the only thing the dealer did wrong was not tell you that its going to take a while to correct the issue.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

94 turbo S package car without option codes X93 rear spoiler and XE2 Quad tail pipes. I was approached a few years ago about selling my OE TurboS X93 tail in it's original gel coat by the owner of a Turbo S wearing a factory tail vs the X93 tail. I don't know if this was the car. The owner was trying to determine if the car was delivered with the factory tail or not. If you look at the pictures on Marks site http://www.flachbau.com/package/480408-2/ the car has neither the X93 tail or XE2 pipes although it is also missing the vin sticker in the center of the bumper which makes me assume that the car may have been hit in the back end. If so it is possible they could not source a replacement tail or pipes from the factory therefore using Stock turbo parts. I do know Mark had informed me when I was purchasing the tail that he had to replace his and it took over a year and $6k to buy back in 1996. IIRC 6 were made. One went to Mark, I have one and the remaining are MIA. These are NLA although RUF used the same tail on some models. There is no part number for these and have no markings other than the OE stamp in resin on the inside. The TurboS tail also needed a special shroud that was different than the one used with the stock tail.

I would do my due diligence before spending 7 figures for this car. It might be original but only proper documentation would say for sure I would check for any prior paintwork. Also I don't believe that the lower valances were painted on the turbo S cars and the front splitters and under trays appear to be painted.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

If by "jumping the title" you mean attempting to avoid the taxes by never registering it in their name, but passing it directly from the previous owner to the buyer, then yes that's exactly what they tried to do to me. The issue was they ****ed up the title by trying to cross out a date so the DMV wouldn't accept it. Then had to jump through hoops to get a new title issued in their name from a DMV on the other side of the country, pay the taxes, and then reissue it to me.
I feel for ya TJ. Happened to me too. In my case the owner passed away (over a year prior to me buying the car), the son inherited the car, which had a lien on it (so the Title resided with the Bank), and the son never transferred the title from his deceased father to himself,... then traded the car into a Porsche dealership. Couple that with me buying it from half way across the country (ie different state with laws different than mine),.... and yes you can see how there are many different scenario's that can snag you up.

=Steve
Old 11-13-2018, 05:24 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Dealer's dont "Jump Title" and they don't have to pay sales tax. There are plenty of third party services who, for a fee will do the dealer paperwork for title work in other states. Whatever the issue was with your situation it wasn't a case of jumping title by the dealer. It may not have even been your dealer's fault, except for the fact they didn't look into the title situation before they bought and then sold the car.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by cobalt
94 turbo S package car without option codes X93 rear spoiler and XE2 Quad tail pipes. I was approached a few years ago about selling my OE TurboS X93 tail in it's original gel coat by the owner of a Turbo S wearing a factory tail vs the X93 tail. I don't know if this was the car. The owner was trying to determine if the car was delivered with the factory tail or not. If you look at the pictures on Marks site http://www.flachbau.com/package/480408-2/ the car has neither the X93 tail or XE2 pipes although it is also missing the vin sticker in the center of the bumper which makes me assume that the car may have been hit in the back end. If so it is possible they could not source a replacement tail or pipes from the factory therefore using Stock turbo parts. I do know Mark had informed me when I was purchasing the tail that he had to replace his and it took over a year and $6k to buy back in 1996. IIRC 6 were made. One went to Mark, I have one and the remaining are MIA. These are NLA although RUF used the same tail on some models. There is no part number for these and have no markings other than the OE stamp in resin on the inside. The TurboS tail also needed a special shroud that was different than the one used with the stock tail.

I would do my due diligence before spending 7 figures for this car. It might be original but only proper documentation would say for sure I would check for any prior paintwork. Also I don't believe that the lower valances were painted on the turbo S cars and the front splitters and under trays appear to be painted.
Cobalt, I am always impressed with your knowledge of these cars, thanks for the info. Interesting comments about the spoiler, I didn't notice at first but after reading your comments all of a sudden the car looks really wrong with the current unit.

Please don't confuse me with a legit buyer for this car. Although I enjoy buying / selling / driving and working on these cars and typically have a few in my stable its not likely I'll be paying a million dollars for any one car anytime soon.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:13 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Cobalt, i am assuming this what you're talking about, dual pipes, rear wing, etc.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/p...911-turbo-s-36
Old 11-14-2018, 07:25 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

package cars are the rarest of the rare 964s. only 17. crazy.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:07 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by clubrcr
Cobalt, i am assuming this what you're talking about, dual pipes, rear wing, etc.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/p...911-turbo-s-36
Yes all the 94 turbo S's looked like this and was part of the X85 US or X84 ROW and package cars but not the X83 Japanese turbo S's. In many ways this could almost be considered a stock turbo with X88 power with X99 side vent options but it is noted as one of the 15 US package cars the other two went to Canada.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Trader220
Race Car

Interesting car if you want to do business with these guys:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ornia-car.html

I have my doubts about the mileage since it only moved 50 miles in the last 3 years but was state inspected twice and made it all the way across the country.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:13 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220

I have my doubts about the mileage since it only moved 50 miles in the last 3 years but was state inspected twice and made it all the way across the country.
Convince them to get the car to Champion for a PPI if you really want it. My biggest regret in working with them is that Eddie wouldn't go that far and I settled on a PPI shop, which is going to cost me hopefully not more than 10k. I should've taken it as a sign when he refused to work with them because of "the distance." If he agrees immediately, maybe it's a good sign the car is clean.

On another note, as a Linen carpet owner.... what the hell was Porsche thinking? That one is almost as gross as mine!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Og_m3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a family member check this car out and it was for sale in northern California about a month ago. it has had a respray; some panels >19mils thick. had to pass on it along with other issues; wont even go into what it was selling for

edit: found a ppi report that the seller sent me a when i inquired about it

Last edited by Og_m3; 11-15-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:43 PM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts

Convince them to get the car to Champion for a PPI if you really want it. My biggest regret in working with them is that Eddie wouldn't go that far and I settled on a PPI shop, which is going to cost me hopefully not more than 10k. I should've taken it as a sign when he refused to work with them because of "the distance." If he agrees immediately, maybe it's a good sign the car is clean.

On another note, as a Linen carpet owner.... what the hell was Porsche thinking? That one is almost as gross as mine!
I've had dealers have issues with taking a car to my preferred shop for a PPI due to distance. However, I have offered flatbed to/back and they have agreed all the time.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

If your going to ask all the money at least detail the engine bay / spoiler area.

This hood sticker scares me right off the bat also.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:52 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Originally Posted by Og_m3
i had a family member check this car out and it was for sale in northern California about a month ago. it has had a respray; some panels >19mils thick. had to pass on it along with other issues; wont even go into what it was selling for

edit: found a ppi report that the seller sent me a when i inquired about it
19 mils is not a respray thats a top of body filler.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
I've had dealers have issues with taking a car to my preferred shop for a PPI due to distance. However, I have offered flatbed to/back and they have agreed all the time.
I wouldn't let any of my cars get flat bedded anywhere, ppi limits for me are 10-15 miles surrounding area as there are many shops or the buyer can go find another car.

19 mils is not a respray thats a top of body filler.
Not always the case, body filler is usually high 20's 30's or no reading at all! . I've had a car resprayed and the thickness of paint was 19 in some places - it all depends how good of a respray and how detailed the shop is.

Quick Reply: Great AMERICAN 964s for sale