Old 04-11-2016, 05:36 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 04-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

I have just finished reading this thread. Fantastic - and so very much better looking then the Singer seats which, to me, are either far too clunky for their standard seat or way too stylized for their sport seat.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Robert,

Thank you, that's very much appreciated

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-26-2016, 05:47 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Chaps,

As you may have read my car has been back in with John (Heritage Classics) getting the boot/frunk tarted up a la Singer as per the photo below.

Singer have really gone to town on their cars by removing the reservoirs for fluid levels and topping up to make the metal inside the boot de-cluttered. Normally all this is hidden in our cars with carpet so the problem was where to compromise and how to make it look good, so this was what John came up with after listening to my wishes.

The metal panels are easily removed for access. The next problem is how to cover them, the choices are:

a) Leave them painted black as per above photos.

b) Trim them with existing carpet with border to match.

c) Trim them with plain leather to match the quilted leather. Please note the quilted leather in the photo is just laid over and not fitted yet and the strut brace needs to be refitted over the quilt.

Also there will be a little tool pocket fitted to the quilted leather, made up of the basket weave we have left.

Feel free to give me your input.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old 04-26-2016, 05:57 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As always bringing your car to the next level with the small details. I am sure you will have many varied opinions, but IMHO trimming the metal bits in smooth leather and the area around the inner fenders there would not only be unique to your car (for now until I also "borrow" some of your ingenious design ideas) but may also mitigate any possible rattles that the metal trim may create under the frunk.

Outstanding.....looking forward to whichever direction you take it.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good work thus far Paul. I'm really liking the body matched painted covers, I think this is a good solution and gives you the closest Singer look.
Makes the frunk look less cluttered also.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your comments and copying is the sincerest form of flattery so help yourself NYLASurf

Ok dokely, I have made a decision and it's a compromise:

I like the painted panels but scratching them with luggage etc. would do my head in since I have touch of CDO, that's similar to OCD but in the correct order

The new panels are going to be covered in smooth leather and backed with a thin layer of foam (but not quilted) to give the leather deeper soft look. The base lift out panel of the boot (and front) will be trimmed with the existing carpet and fastening studs.

I wasn't quite sure about the carpet being edged in red, I thought it was a bit vivid and I think this is a good solution as the different textures of red will have a foil in the black carpet.

Thanks for your help. It should be back on the road by Saturday so I'll show you the finished article by then.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Two comments. First, why strive for the "Singer look" while, in my opinion, yours is better anyway. Second, personally, I like seeing the reservoirs and readily knowing their levels.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Robert,

Simple answer, because I want to. No probs, enjoy your's, everyone has different tastes.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 04-28-2016, 07:47 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

That is the best and only answer that counts.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

That is the best and only answer that counts.
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure you know how difficult it is to make decision when there are so many possibilities, all of which have merit.

My problem with exposing the reservoirs etcetera was that I hate to see loads of wires/tubing exposed but I agree it's nice to see how things work, I also like to find different angle. Hence sticking with the stock Recaros but putting my own take on them. I wanted my car to be a little different but stick with the unmistakeable look (inside and out) of the 964.

Anyway, here it is almost finished, I hope some of you will like it. I apologise for the poor quality of the photos but John has just sent these over from his phone, I'll put some high quality ones up when I have the car back.

Behind the little accessory pocket is a piece of aircraft grade aluminium going the full width and down to the base. It's very light but gives the pocket integrity and support so that the quilt won't lose it's shape.

The base of the frunk is trimmed with the original carpet but bound in black leather, I thought red leather might be a bit OTT with the rest of it and I'm pleased with the overall look..

The final piece of the jigsaw will be a piece of alloy pipe threaded onto the small washer bottle, with a nice CNC'd polished alloy filler cap etched with a windscreen wash symbol. It has to be a threaded so it can be removed when I need access behind the panel. If any of you guys out there know where I can get a good quality made please PM me with a contact & price and you can put your final touch to my car.

Cheers for now,
Paul

P.S. The studs on the front of the carpet weren't fastened.

Last edited by Paul284pt; 04-29-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: PS
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (10-01-2019)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously...amazing. Paul, after seeing this project kick off last year and following it, I contemplated swinging over to the UK to kidnap you on my way back to the States and keep you locked in my garage to work on my car. Now that I am back here,I know I am going to have to preform an extrodinary rendition after seeing this today.

Don't mind the hooded gents in all black...they are there to assist you on your travels - oh btw Mr. Linton you are next on the list

Looks amazing. all about the details...
Old 04-30-2016, 05:56 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

It looks awesome! I wasn't convinced when I saw your initial photos but you nailed it with the final product.

The cnc'ed filler will finish it if nicely.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasn't sure at your first few frunk pictures, but the end result blew my mind: beautifully done!
Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi,

Thanks for your comments chaps, very much appreciated

Nylasurf,

You're late, I'm sitting on my suitcase

Johann & Deadend9009,

I agree, it's sometimes difficult to visualise exactly the outcome.

Next week I'm going to have look around for a decent machine shop for the filler extension which will be a short piece of pipe with a cap welded onto it to screw onto the washer bottle.

Cheers,
Paul

Quick Reply: So It Begins