Sponsored by:

So It Begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Chaps,

When fitting the new alternator sensor I noticed the hose connector/clip on the RH dizzy was loose and came off easily in my hand. Which is potentially bad news, if ozone leaks onto the fan belt it will rot quicker than a good relationship between the press and an England soccer manager. So a mental note to replace it was made, and sooner rather than later.

The small clip comes in the distributor vent kit, it's a fix for earlier models which had the ozone problem. Don't panic unless your car has been in storage for 27 years or so, it would have been done by an OPC on a recall. The distributor nearest the fan should now be vented via a hole in the heater pipe and connected to the rear rear lense.

Obviously I only needed the connector clip but there was a nice length of new tube and mine was looking pretty ratty.

Unfortunately there's not enough tube to do the final part to the heater tube so I'll need to order another.

Another little job was to fit the carbon engine bay tidy strip I'd ordered from www.kunststofftechnik-buehler.de and the heat resistant Porsche script in red, which I'm not sure about, possibly overkill?

A wash and brush up, then a fill up before a run out

Cheers,
Paul
Old 10-11-2016, 06:47 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
Fortunately it wasn't serious, the belt was still intact apart from some superficial marks on the surface (see photo) but the little spinning wheel on the sensor/sender was nowhere to be seen. Which meant the wheel's spindle was now resting on the belt, a potential fire hazard. Being a good boy scout I had some insulating tape and I was able to tape up the wheel arm to it's body out of harms way.
Nice detailed write up Paul (as always). A quick additonal add-on, which I hope useful, is that there are also occasions when the dash warning light does come on but the belt sensor/wheel all seems fine and working still [head scratch].

This happened to me. Dismantled the whole arm assembly and investigated. The only thing I initially found being the wheel bush bearing grease had solidified/aged quite a bit making arm movement without spring assistance a little 'tight' - but not enough to prevent the wheel full movement with spring tension.

More bench spot lighting and meticulous eyeballing found the below; the tiny white nylon bush on the micro switch spring arm had a flat spot from constant (unlubricated) rubbing on the belt wheel arm. Tiny wear but sufficient enough that the microswitch circuit was allowed bridge and bring on the warning light. Red arrow points to the microswitch nylon wheel (now rotated to it's new position). The fully extended curved arm it rests on is to the right right above the belt wheel.

Unable to move the microswitch to adjust as this has fixed mountings. As a break-fix (and still is!) I rotated the tiny white nylon wheel 180 degrees and fixed in place with a dab of glue. Greased up the wheel arm with high temp grease and so far all good - two years later!

Of course the proper fix is replacement, like yourself. Hope some find this useful.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:53 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Well I followed your link and found Kunststofftechnik-buehler's product pdf then discovered that my antique O-Level in German is somewhat limiting.
What is the German for "natty little sound pad trim"?

MS Translator reckons it is "NattywenigsolidePadtrimmen" but I couldn't find that on the price list.

Z
PS/ Personally, I feel that the Porsche script in red is slight overkill. Real carbon fibre is cool and if you need the script, black would be subtle.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:35 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Laurent,

Nice work on that little mod! Another problem with the sensor is that the wheel doesn't sit exactly central on the belt which will undoubtedly put pressure in the spindle. I've checked other 964's to see if for some reason mine wasn't located correctly in the past but they are all the same.

Hi ZG862,

Send him an email, he speaks perfect English and will respond quickly.

I'm still thinking about the red script although strangely it got a thumbs up from my pals who are very conservative. Silver would be subtle, black would be invisible.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 10-12-2016, 09:17 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the info Paul. Silver eh? Might have to wait until I get the car back on the road though.

Z
Old 11-07-2016, 02:15 PM
PeterS911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After coming back from Spa in the dark I have just ordered some headlights from WoodyPeck. ��

Next time I won't have to guess where the road might be.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Peter,

I know how you feel, if the weather's poor driving a long distance at night is hairy

You won't be sorry, just plug them in and go.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

I jus wanted to say your attention to detail and design is fantastic. Do you do this as a hobby or a business?

is there anywhere I can source that basketweave material from here in the States? I'd love to use it for door cards and maybe some seating surfaces. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi SM,

Thank you that's very much appreciated. No I don't do it as a profession although I have always been interested in design and my son is an award winning designer. I had always planned to make my 964 show the classic elements of the earlier cars in much the same way as Porsche have done recently with their Porsche Classic model.

The basket weave can be obtained from Spinneybeck and they distribute in the US through their website https://www.spinneybeck.com/index.php?/about the link will tell you all about them and if you hit the tab Upholstery and scroll down to the Leatherweave you'll find it all there. They also supply embossed leather. If you need advice give them a call I found them very helpful.

Good luck & thanks again,
Paul
Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Spinneybeck is pretty cool, they will send you free samples so I got several shades of the colour I'm looking at doing for my car. In addition to a true basket weave they have one that's a pressed pattern as well in different densities of weave, quality stuff..
Old 12-19-2016, 06:09 PM
sm
Drifting

Spinneybeck is cool indeed. How durable is the basket weave for seat surfaces? Also does debris easily get caught in the crevices? Is it rough to the touch?
Old 12-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
Spinneybeck is cool indeed. How durable is the basket weave for seat surfaces? Also does debris easily get caught in the crevices? Is it rough to the touch?
i got my led's from China today. About a month to get them. Will install when i get a chance
Old 12-20-2016, 12:42 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul,

Where did you get the Recaro seat emblems?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-21-2016, 04:38 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi SM,

The basket weave is as durable as normal leather, it's backed with a tough cotton. It is very important that each panel has all the edges sown in to stop any risk of the weave of spreading. When it's new it is quite rough to touch but the leather soon settles to a nice finish after a few trips. I treated mine with Scotch Guard and then a leather protection cream. No problem with debris it's can't get through the backing but I do vacuum the car and seats regularly.

i got my led's from China today. About a month to get them. Will install when i get a chance
That's great Streetdaddy, I'm pleased you're sorted put some photos up when you install them.

Paul,

Where did you get the Recaro seat emblems?

Thanks
Jeff
Hi Jeff,

From Ebay bud, like these here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI...sAAOSw0kNXh2hC

Cheers,
Paul
Old 12-29-2016, 12:17 PM
sm
Drifting

Paul -

Thanks for the additional information. I contacted Spinneybeck and the minimum purchase is 55 sq ft, or 5.1 sq meters if the online conversion tools are correct.

How much of the leather weave material did you use? I don't have to have too much left over and throw money away.

I want to use the leather weave for the centers of the front seats, both door cards, rear seat lower cushions, and the middle of the rear seat upper back supports.

Is 55 sq ft way too much?

Thanks

Quick Reply: So It Begins