Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So It Begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Paul, excellent... love the interior!

The only thing left to do to complement the look is replacing the black window trims with bright trims. I think the contrast will look hot on a black car. Also replace the head lamps rings too with the chrome ones to complement the Fuch wheels.
Hi Jorijori,

Thanks much appreciated.

That's not the look I was going for.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-10-2015, 10:35 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

Is that mid gray or dark gray on the decal? I have polar silver and am considering a subtle gray decal. Can they be easily removed if I didn't like it?

Also, are you going to do the porsche lettering on the trunk lid too? Probably too busy if your keeping the factory emblems. Would like to see it on a 964, though.

Last edited by Streetdaddy; 07-10-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:15 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Is that mid gray or dark gray on the decal? I have polar silver and am considering a subtle gray decal. Can they be easily removed if I didn't like it?

Also, are you going to do the porsche lettering on the trunk lid too? Probably too busy if your keeping the factory emblems. Would like to see it on a 964, though.
Hi SD,

How are you keeping?

It's a dark grey metallic, anthracite. I chose it to be dark and subtle against the black. Well , that's the idea anyway judge for yourself, a few photos at photoshoot before a local motor show in Newcastle upon Tyne.

No plans for the bottled, I think the reflector is enough for me.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Glad to see it out and about. Must be getting quite the reception.
The Fuchs look mega in the pics.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi 911Jetta,

Yes it was great to be out and about at last.

Here's a short video for Geordies everywhere. Turn your sound up!

https://vimeo.com/133603263

Well have another go at embedding this video, if it still doesn't work please use the above link to view.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/133603263" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="https://vimeo.com/133603263">NE1 Motor Show 2015</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user22373074">Paul Taylor</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 07-16-2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Problems with new embed code
Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Chaps,

Sunday was the Yorkshire PCGB Annual Concours gathering with over 300 Porsches and a good excuse for tearing about in our motors, naturally the weather was typically concours friendly. Keith's Carrera here trying to put me out of the running

We met up with other Ras62 & fellow N. Wales Rennlisters.

SimonC's hill-climber.

After the run down through some heavy showers my car was filthy and I wasn't going to brother with any further concours preparation which I considered to be a waste of time. Especially when you see mint cars and people changing wheels to a spare show set.

However a chap with a mint 996 CS near me offered to lend me a pressure spray with shampoo and persuaded me to to give it a go. I'm please he did, we got it up to a presentable condition and my car came in 1st loser, in the members visitor section. So a huge thank you to him!

Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

She's back!

The difference is incredible, obviously the sum of all the parts but Redline Racing (Carrera Cup champions) have really sorted her out and I can tell she's pleased, more on that later

New ball joints, Rennline camber plates, top mounts, engine mounts, Tarret drop links, Powerflex Black bushings (complete set). Full service and geometry set up.

The car always felt a little fidgety previously and I put it down to the 18" wheels but the new improvements and another geo set-up have completely dialled it out. She now feels rock solid and the turn-in is absolutely scalpel sharp, the tram-lining has gone and the car feels like it isn't going to bite you back at any moment. I was also worried the Powerfelx Black would be too stiff for what is really a street car but they are perfect and not too harsh at all.

The new camber plates and top mounts. We had enough room here, without having to cut into the bodywork, obviously more camber would mean some machining.

Rear top mounts, partially hidden by pipe, sorry.

Rennline semi-tunable engine mounts on sport setting (blue). Something I didn't expect when changing to more solid engine mounts was the sound inside the cabin, it doesn't seem any louder but it's actually more melodic you can hear everything, the tappets, the fan, it's a symphony and a fantastic bonus. I noticed it as soon as I fired her up and she settled into an idle, it's very distinct and reminiscent of the older 911's.

Reasons to be cheerful, spend a few days locked away with the legendary James Hunt's RSR, no wonder she's happy

You could have knocked me down with a feather when I went to collect my car and saw what looked like an original RSR. Then I noticed the BRDC sticker and I couldn't help myself ask the stupid question "Is that for real?" :grin:

It seemed too good to be true my favourite F1 driver's 911 parked right next to my own.

Well it was for real, chassis no. 99 in all it's glory Hunt The Shunt's famous RSR when he was driving F1 for Lord Hesketh. Here's a few photos for your enjoyment.

The mileage is correct too!

8J Fuch's on the front:

Happy days
Paul
Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Awesome Paul... unbelievable setup you have there.

Hunt's RSR, not often seen or heard of. Most excellent and perfect in every way. Lucky to see and thanks for sharing the pics. Saved.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:12 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul284pt
...Something I didn't expect when changing to more solid engine mounts was the sound inside the cabin, it doesn't seem any louder but it's actually more melodic you can hear everything, the tappets, the fan, it's a symphony and a fantastic bonus. I noticed it as soon as I fired her up and she settled into an idle, it's very distinct and reminiscent of the older 911's...
+1 Nice description of the change.

WOW - Hunt's RSR! WOW! Makes me want to watch Rush again.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:40 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Great pics Paul. Though for clarification, that's a '74 Carrera RS 3.0. Appears well-used too, exactly like Dr. Porsche intended.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Awesome Paul... unbelievable setup you have there.

Hunt's RSR, not often seen or heard of. Most excellent and perfect in every way. Lucky to see and thanks for sharing the pics. Saved.
Thank you LM964, I'm pleased you enjoyed the photos

+1 Nice description of the change.

WOW - Hunt's RSR! WOW! Makes me want to watch Rush again.
Hi 911Jetta, that's a great film, even Nikki Lauda enjoyed it! Actually I think they did a great job of getting the spirit on the Lauda v Hunt battle on celluloid.

Great pics Paul. Though for clarification, that's a '74 Carrera RS 3.0. Appears well-used too, exactly like Dr. Porsche intended.
Thanks Ken! Also your input is much appreciated. The car is often referred to as Hunt's RSR here but I'm sure you are correct and it's definitely a '74 3.0 litre, which were a mixture of RS and RSR's. The confusion (to people like me who didn't know) caused by the wider flares of the later 3.0's. This is chassis no. 99. It was actually sympathetically restored by Autofarm here in the UK and it feels rock solid to sit in with a fantastic smell and patina. The current owner is very well known in historic racing circles. The only discerning difference I spotted is that it appears to have lost it's chrome headlight rings in favour of body coloured ones.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 08-20-2015 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Addition to text.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 AM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Paul, car is looking spectacular as always but what a great opportunity to shoot photos with some Porsche royalty.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:16 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

paul....you, frank, and macca are my inspiration. it's breathtaking what you've done. all the best.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Paul -- Excellent job! Car looks incredible! It's always a pleasure to see impeccable attention to detail and thorough execution. Job very well done. Enjoy every moment of it!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

paul....you, frank, and macca are my inspiration. it's breathtaking what you've done. all the best.
Thank you Flyt993!!!

Paul -- Excellent job! Car looks incredible! It's always a pleasure to see impeccable attention to detail and thorough execution. Job very well done. Enjoy every moment of it!
Much appreciated FF, the gear shift has great feel and a perfect addition to my mods, thanks!

Hi Chaps,

It was time for a run out, a good one after years of doing my mods. So with a little planning mainly by PCGB (thanks to Chris Hak and Martin Overington) for a meet at Le Mans and then on to the famous Hotel de France for a few days owned by Martin, racer, petrolhead and all round gent :thumb:

Overnight to Caen from Portsmouth in good company with a race prepped DB4 on it's way to Lucerne.

After an early morning dash down to Le Mans I had an hour to kill before the rest arrived who had stayed at the Hotel the previous night.

If any of you have not been to Le Mans before, make sure when you do go into the museum right beside the circuit entrance (above) there are some fabulous cars on show with real history. I'll put some more photos up later.

After the museum it was a trip around the public parts of the track which amounts to around 70% of the current 24 Heures Du Mans track. It comes off them at the Porsche Curves to join the Bugatti Circuit, along the Pit Straight to Dunlop Curve and Chicane the Terta Rouge Esses and finally Tetre Rouge where it turns south and rejoins the public roads and down the Mulsanne Straight.

Just to confuse you all we went anti-clockwise, down the back of the Pit Straight to the Porsche Curves and Maison Blanche, a particularly infamous part of the old circuit (before 1972) where several racers lost there lives including
John Woolfe being killed in his Porsche 917 in 1969 in the first lap of the race. Wolfe was thrown out of his car having not even had time to fasten his seat belts after the traditional sprint across the track. Jackie Ickx walked to his car the following year in protest and the sprint was stopped for the 1972 race.

Approaching Maison Blanche, anti-clockwise.

Maison Blanche itself to the right, it's not very white these days and would have been to the driver's left prior to 1972, remember we are going anti-clockwise.

Where the public part joins the Bugatti Circuit at Porsche Curves to the left:

On we go picking up speed now. A word of warning though, the police are particularly diligent against speeding here and if you get over enthusiastic they will confiscate your car and have it crushed.

Heading to Arnage:

Noel's lovely 2.4S Targa, RHD in silver, one of only 10 made and the owner of another of the 10 was also with us, take a bow Johnboy.

Arnage and towards Mulsanne:

Almost at the top of the (busy) Mulsanne Straight, Martin (Overington) leading, (he's done this many times in his Blower Bentley and 962) pulls over to discuss tactics

Arrival at the Le Chartre Sur Le Loire and the Hotel de France made famous by just about everyone in motor racing and many other famous people like JFK and Jackie, Steve McQueen etc., etc...

Dave Walker's lovely 964 and project.

Time for a cold beer, lunch and later a swim in the pool

I'll put some more photos later.

Cheers,
Paul

Quick Reply: So It Begins