Sponsored by:

So It Begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys,

Now most of the jobs are done I've had a little time to waste, I'll add some more to it sometime.

<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/171327430">If You See Me.</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user22373074">Paul</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-20-2016, 08:51 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the latest round of front trunk details Paul! The pouch done in the leftover spinneybeck weave is super cool. I saw the stills from the vid on IG yesterday, nice to see the footage here today. Keep up the fantastic work!
-Dan
Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your generous comments mate!

I'll try

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love your video clips!

More! and Longer!!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Kale,

How are you keeping?

It might take me a while to make a video of any length, as you can see I'm not very good at it but we'll give it a go.

I think the Function First shifter was the way to go in the end but thanks for all your help getting me on the right road

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Chaps,

I hope you are all keeping well and enjoying the summer with your motors. I haven't been able to offer anything recently but I'll try to make up for it here.

Every now and then a few of us have an early morning blast out on a Saturday for cars and coffee, well a few coffees at various stops along the way to allow the slower cars to catch their breath.

Anyway a few glamour photos before I get to the real point of this update:

It's an eclectic bunch with everything from old TR2's, V Dub camper and yep that's a Lamborghini Huracan lurking menacingly in the background, owned by a neighbour Helen and believe me she really does know how to give it the beans, her motorbikes too

The lovely little Vauxhall is owned by Mike one of the driving instructors at Croft Circuit.

For some time I've been deliberating what to do about the dismal headlights, and to be fair I don't go out much in the dark, it's scary Well, it certainly is in a 964 with the standard headlight fare.

I had been thinking of going for the Lume Technic LED's offered with either clear or standard lenses but to be honest I wanted to keep the car (from a distance) to look basic with the normal Porsche Bosch H4 senses so it seemed like a lot of money for their upgrade and not change the look.

After a quick search (thanks W90) and a couple of emails back and forwards to Steve at Woodypeck www.woodypeck.com he recommended the new R3 which push out 4800 lumens and are a straight fit, yep they are simply plug and play. You're up and running in 15 minutes, including the sidelights

These are they, and what you get in the box (not sidelights) and it all fits nicely into the receptacle bowls unlike some of the previous LED offerings. You don't need the small rubber ring seals in the box.

The side lights are extra but when I tell you that you'll get change out of £100 for the R3's and the sidelights it will probably be the best upgrade you can ever do to your car for the money.

The metal webbing is to allow heat dissipation.

Diagram 2 shows to take the white plastic fitting ring off but we need to keep that on 964's (and Carrera 3.2's etc.) to position and fit into the holding clips with our H4 setup. To be honest you don't need the rest of the diagrams either, it's self explanatory just plug them in.

These are the LED sidelight bulbs.

The proof of the pudding, despite being on a sunny summer's afternoon.

Sidelight only.

Headlight dipped.

Main beam.

I can't wait until it gets dark :grin:

Cheers for now,
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 10-28-2016 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Copied for another thread post
Old 08-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys,

Some night photos of the R3's for anyone who may be considering this upgrade, all I can say is the photos speak for themselves but do yourselves a favour if you do any night driving at all, be safe and join the illuminati As I said previously, for a little under £100 this could be the best upgrade ever.

These lights plug straight in, no cutting of, or adding wires, strapping things up, trying to make drivers or heat sink fans fit.

I have no affiliation with Woodypeck but I love it when things just work

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited by Paul284pt; 10-28-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:59 AM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting thread Paul. Do these bulbs also work on standard H5's or only H4's. In my reading of LED lighting knowledgeable folks have said LED bulbs don't work well with fluted lens' because of the light dispersion. The lighting in your photo's is fantastic, make you want to take the car out at night.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:34 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Interesting thread Paul. Do these bulbs also work on standard H5's or only H4's. In my reading of LED lighting knowledgeable folks have said LED bulbs don't work well with fluted lens' because of the light dispersion. The lighting in your photo's is fantastic, make you want to take the car out at night.

Thanks There is a world of difference with this LED setup. The R3 bulbs have a variety of fittings which I'm sure included H5's from what I remember in the instructions, they also fit 928's. As far as light dispersion of H5 lenses go, I'm not sure how the bulb would affect that, but I know a man who will, if you flash an email over to Steve he'll get back to you pretty quickly.

woodypeck@outlook.com

Good luck,
Paul
Old 08-02-2016, 07:22 PM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Paul, just sent him an email.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:25 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Thanks Paul, just sent him an email.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

It awesome model i repair one of this model in previous week.
Thank you the 964 is coming into it's own after many years in "the wilderness" and people are realising what we knew all along.

Hi Chaps,

Here is a direct link to the R3 H4 LED bulbs for anyone who would like further info.

http://woodypeck.com/?product=r3-led

Cheers,
Paul
Old 09-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have the Dzug HID kit on my 964 - which I believe replaced the old H5 with H4. The transformers in the DZug kit have been giving me problems for over a year now though - one light will go off if I try to flash high beams on and off, or sometimes in the rain and sometimes over bumpy roads! The high beams are horrible on it though. If I turn the lights on and off it works again - figured instead of trying to replace the transformer, the R3 H4 bulbs may be a perfect alternative for me!
Anyone have DZugs and tried these bulbs?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like an awesome upgrade..... and not a crazzzy expensive one either.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:13 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Looks like an awesome upgrade..... and not a crazzzy expensive one either.
Thanks R6xterra. You're correct on both counts

Hi Chaps,

Nightmare!

Last Sunday when I was out doing a recky for our North Yorks run on the 9th my alternator sensor warning light came on, naturally I stopped immediately.

Fortunately it wasn't serious, the belt was still intact apart from some superficial marks on the surface (see photo) but the little spinning wheel on the sensor/sender was nowhere to be seen. Which meant the wheel's spindle was now resting on the belt, a potential fire hazard. Being a good boy scout I had some insulating tape and I was able to tape up the wheel arm to it's body out of harms way.

I wonder where the wheel is :dont know: Probably lying in the bottom of the well.

The new part ordered came on Tuesday from OPC Newcastle for £75.38 inc. VAT and free delivery, bless you Michael :thumbs:

To remove the alternator sensor/sender unit you will need a 5mm allen key, a small flat headed screwdriver, a cloth which I advise you to lay under the unit so that the allen bolt doesn't fall into the well or you will have endless hours of fun trying to fish it out.

Here we can see the little flange on with the wheel is centred but the flange has straightened out setting the wheel free.

First take off the connector by removing the spring clip with a flat headed screwdriver.

Carefully loosen the allen bolt, it is only threaded in about 5mm so only a few turns but it might be stiff to get started and there's not much room so watch your knuckles.

The unit is held in place by two plastic locating pins on the back of the unit and a single allen bolt.

A couple of top tips here, firstly give the wheel spindle (and the bolt) a squirt with WD40 as they are apt to squeak in time or worse, seize up, which will causes flat spots on the wheel. The second tip is to tape up the wheel arm which will help you locate the unit easier, remove the tape with a blade when it's fitted.

Remove your tape and security blanket, connect it up again and fire her up!

About 30 mins. approx. for this little job. Now to find the missing wheel, Simon reckons he finds all sorts in that little well when he's taking engines out.

Cheers,
Paul

Quick Reply: So It Begins