Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bebi, to me you come across rather pompous and arrogant. Colin makes some phenomenal machines, whether they be FIA approved or not. For you to come in as your first post and trounce his work is really kind of uncalled for. We've seen people like you come and go before. I have no ownership of the board, or the site, but the people on this board have always been helpful and kind. Those that aren't don't usually stick around for long. In your own words, "Before writing, inform."
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM
mf_rsr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys guys guys...calm down. In a very technical thread bebi is providing some excellent entertainment value! Sit back and muse at how confusing this car is to him..."not collectors, not FIA, why why why" [cue head explosion] = hilarious :O
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true- what better way to start the weekend with some comedy~
Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Bebi
This hybrid of several models, has no collection value ..... Only have the original value or original material facts (the FIA does not endorse these inventions)

This car was build to suit a customers needs. That's all the matters.

The idea is to build the car that you want...not something that has to be a collectors item or spec'd the way the factory did it 40 years ago. This car is free of all of that. The goal its that it can be used and enjoyed by the owner.

Having read many of Colin's posts, I feel certain the he 100% listened to his customers dreams...50 pages later the dream is about to hit the track!

the first post to this thread:
A prospective customer contacts 9m with the view to us building him a 1974 911RS-R trackday car. Following many in-depth telephone discussions on the possible combinations & options available, a visit to 9m is arranged to finalise a build plan for the car. Customer arrives with his fellow petrol-head friend, spends the day at 9m with myself & between us we come up with the following specification based on a 9m64RS platform:

1974 911RS-R carbon bodywork (wings, bumpers, doors, quarters, spoiler)
Full seam-welded & caged non-sunroof shell
Recaro SPG seats
Perspex rear & side windows
Heater delete, lightweight Aircon system
425+hp 9m 3.82 litre 8200rpm race engine
Motec M800 engine management & camera/datalogger
6 speed G50/32 gearbox with 9m carbon LSD
993RS 4 channel brake system & calipers
GT2 evo uprights with KW Clubsport suspension, poly bushes, RS ARBs
17" lightweight centrelock wheels, Toyo R888 tyres
Target weight 1000kg

This is the look of the car that the customer has requested & we made the joint decision to build the new car on 964 platform due to the expected performance of the 9m race engine and the desire to run with ABS, hence the designation of 9m11RS-R even though technically it could have been a 9m64RS-R (not that it really matters in any case!).
Makes sense to me!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:01 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This hybrid of several models, has no collection value ..... Only have the original value or original material facts (the FIA does not endorse these inventions)
You're absolutely right, but that takes *nothing* from the fact that this car will be an absolute riot to drive.

Drive. It's what they're for, right? "Collection value," for serious owners, true enthusiasts of the marque, is at best a tertiary concern. Further, I can't remember the last time someone posted a thread entitled "What will the FIA think about ______," probably because it doesn't really matter.

Drive.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

AI do not offend your comment, because of your ignorance.
I have several Porsche, including a Porsche 911 3.0 RSR original factory, so I'm surprised, the mixture of components in the beautiful project of Colin, whom I respect.
Before writing, inform.

Best regards

Bebi
very proud of you and your collection.

but everyone has a right to what they want with their car and money.

pretty simple.

if it is not what you like...that is fine. obviously the owner is getting creative on how he wants their car to look.

stop drinking the hateraid.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

That's OK - I have one too - without any collector value - a 1974 911 - with Turbo flares - 993 brakes - 1985 915 transmission - 17" fuchs a duck tail and 964 engine. I flog it at the track - not sure I'd do that with a real IROC car (which my car is a tribute to)

With this owners vision and 9meister's aptitude - at the end it will go like stink - and look great in the process.

Showing up anywhere with this car would be like showing up to your class reunion with Kate Beckinsale on your arm and she's in a partying mood!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

To be fair I'm not surprised or offended by Bebi's comments, at the end of the day you pay yer money and you make yer choice. It does work both ways, in that I know of at least one customer who commissioned an accurate FIA spec 3.0RS replica, used it once, did not like it and then sold it on for half of the build cost. This will definitely not happen with this car, I can assure you.

Since the specification was conceived we have moved on a long way, particularly with the engine design and specification, to the point where this car will be the testbed for the first of a new generation of 9m Racing engines which will be using a lot of new technology previously unseen on any aircooled engine (and few watercooled for that matter) but we would not be doing this if the car was not built to handle the performance we expect. However, since there is still a little way to go with the engine design & development why don't we get the thread back on track and bring home the completion of the build?

As I left off a couple of weeks ago, Robin was finishing off the front arch liners.....
Attached Images     
Old 10-12-2012, 03:53 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Meanwhile Marc set about sorting out the custom wiring harness for the front end of the car. GT3 Cup power steering and GT3 ABS system with OBD2 diagnostic ports were the order of the day. Here is the almost completed installation showing the 993 electric brake booster pump, control relays and OBD port.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Headlamp fit came next. Bit of a fiddle as we used aftermarket steel headlamp bowls to fit in the carbon wings which needed a little tweeking to perfectly house the 911 headlamps. Genuine bowls are not available seperately in case you were wondering.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Anyone remember the central fuel tank filler?

Not as simple as it seems as it also needs a modified 964 breather tank to go around it. Unfortunately the 24hr plastic welding service took them 4 weeks.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Finally for now, at the back end of the car we ran a wire through for the high level brake light, which may not be an expected addition but was considered highly desirable for track use, especially in the wet.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I am praying you fit Sport Chrono in the middle of the dash . Nice work!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Captain Ahab Jr.
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I remembered but why did you keep the breather tank and not just fit a top mounted breather with built in roll-over check valve?

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Anyone remember the central fuel tank filler?

Not as simple as it seems as it also needs a modified 964 breather tank to go around it. Unfortunately the 24hr plastic welding service took them 4 weeks.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Bebi
5th Gear

Default Sorry, and best regards Colin

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Meanwhile Marc set about sorting out the custom wiring harness for the front end of the car. GT3 Cup power steering and GT3 ABS system with OBD2 diagnostic ports were the order of the day. Here is the almost completed installation showing the 993 electric brake booster pump, control relays and OBD port.
Hi Colin

My question (which never pretend to offend you or your development work)
The answer you in this last post.
Just wanted to know the reason for developing a more modern model, taking the base similar to the 911 RSR 3.0 1974.
I love the mechanics, and also read the development of their projects.
I congratulate you on this initiative, Particularly With The engine design and specification.
Be a pleasure to follow the evolution of his work interesting.

Sorry fellow Forum, not understanding the reason for my question. You may not post, clearly. Sorry.

I prefer the classic Porsche, all versions and race-car air-cooled, but the combination of a large chassis, as is the 3.0 RSR, the 997 GT3 RS mechanics, can be very interesting.

Sorry, if my coment be misinterpreted. I know their previous work and very interesting.

Best regards Colin :cheers

I show him my favorite race car, also love a RS 964 Cup I have.

Quick Reply: 9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform