Sponsored by:

9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Old Dutch
Visited the 9M works last week and as always amazed with the beautiful projects on hand and top quality kraftmanship performed under the care of Colin, Marc and their fantastic team.
Patience is slowly paying off, the end is very near of our project and in short is expected to be completed by End of May for the Running Gear and Shell, except the engine.
Our Engine Guru needs a little more time to tune and squeeze the last horses out of the engine and make it reliable for high temp. / high humidity environment. Work of Art in progress and the forecast is stunning, Stuttgart Engineers might need an advanced engine development course to keep up whats in store.

The plan has been drilled down to a list to do and to our pleasant surprise the outstanding work is not that much but need to change the path of attack to finish off the items to be installed first and follow the list to the end down.
Early congratulations - really - the conception and execution of this project is really mind blowing.

In between what's been going on with this thread, Steve W's work on Kai's Claudia, and what companies like Singer have achieved, I am completely flabergastered by the potential that is presented by these 20 year old cars.

It makes me wonder what begins the idea for these projects - what would make you choose a bespoke Porsche over an off-the-shelf racer like a GT3 RS, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it - it makes me want to pat my car with pride. It seems that the 964 is increasingly becoming THE platform of choice for classic Porsche racers.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's really gathering speed! Looking awesome.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 AM
swiss964c2
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f3nr15
Early congratulations - really - the conception and execution of this project is really mind blowing.

In between what's been going on with this thread, Steve W's work on Kai's Claudia, and what companies like Singer have achieved, I am completely flabergastered by the potential that is presented by these 20 year old cars.

It makes me wonder what begins the idea for these projects - what would make you choose a bespoke Porsche over an off-the-shelf racer like a GT3 RS, for example.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it - it makes me want to pat my car with pride. It seems that the 964 is increasingly becoming THE platform of choice for classic Porsche racers.
while an off the shelf modern car like a GT3RS (which I have the privilege of owning) is far more powerful and easier to drive than the older ones, I enjoy more driving my 1990 964 C2 as it just feels more connected to the roots of driving. I have to work it harder, have to be more careful on how fast I approach a turn, get taken over by modern hot hatches and so on, but I always have this big smile on my face that I don't get in my modern cars. but maybe it has to do with my own age, approaching 50 makes my desire grow to get even older cars, like from the 60 or 70th. on the other hand, at this stage, my 964 represents the perfect balance of every day driver and old(er) car feeling.
Cheers
Michel
Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
The Old Dutch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin, all the trim work back from Andy?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Dutch
Colin, all the trim work back from Andy?
Marc was over at Andy's this morning helping him stretch the leather covers over the seat backs, so that means they will probably be finished sometime today (Thursday). Bet you can't wait to see them?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Another week on and it looks like we finally have the rat problem under control. I'll do this one photo at a time so you can see what we are up against....

First shot is of a donor 996 front harness from which we are extracting the 4 channel ABS wiring section which is the bit on its own at the left of the first photo, then shown on its own after unpicking in the second photo.
Attached Images   
Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The main harness covers the instrument cluster, switchgear ecu and complete rear section of the car; the first photos is the stripped out front section of this harness. The earth point gives an indication of the number of unnecessary wires that have been stripped out for lightness; obviously we will cut off the loose tails before installation. Binding the stripped back loom is next which is done with the correct (and expensive) cotton loom tape, as you can see this job sends Marc slightly around the bend....
Attached Images     
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Since the car will have aircon without the electronic 964 tempostat controller in the dash we are going to incorporate the Turbo / Carrera control system from the 1989 911 instead. These are the fan and temperature ***** from the centre console of said car along with the factory wiring. Another few wires to add in, although this time it is simple stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Black930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow great job I know what a pain in the azz that is with the harness.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Main loom fully bound, ready to fit. At last.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

I hope you used lightweight tape !!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:46 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Of course. Nothing but the best.

Here's the finished loom on its way into place, waiting on a minor mod to plastic guide plate in order to clear the front roll cage to strut truss.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2012, 02:27 AM
The Old Dutch
Advanced

Assembly time, great progress.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:05 PM
The Old Dutch
Advanced

Default Trim work

Andy delivered extravagent work on the seats, steering wheel and panels. It's a beauty. Pictures to follow soon.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As promised, here are the quickie photos of the seats and steering wheel. Don't worry, I'll take better ones when the car is having them fitted.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: 9m11RS-R - creation of a modern icon - '74 3.0RSR on 9m64RS platform