Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProMAX Chip and Maf unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 04:27 PM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kris - I am struggling with my HPPSC 2355 scanner ! - pass me the left handed screw driver it must be sunday morning !
Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
kris
Skippy
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

No need to rush things Rodders. We can wait. I was wondering what went wrong with your steering, did you have leaks or noises?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:22 PM
rodders
Racer

no - the steering was is on the 1974 sporto and it has two simple bearings on the column - one had collapsed and caused the steering wheel to wobble around - but the car only goes to school and the shops - this is not a Pcar hot rod - more like a Pcar dog - if that is possible
- it really is a car to cherish as an early tiptronic and a true engineering novelty - nothing more - its a luxury you really dont need - particularly after the last week
Old 03-03-2006, 05:53 AM
vernon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hello I would like to buy one of your Maf kits but I live on Lake Tahoe N V USA. our gas hear is 91 at the top that we can buy hear for a 964. I have a high buy pass cat with a better hi flow air filter I have not seen any test yet on how good your Maf works hear in the USA? can you burn a chip for 91 gas for us hear in the USA I am at 6,450 feet Thank You Vern.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rodders or others, any update on the testing of the chip?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I received my MAF and chip last week.

Looks very professionally done but mine won't be installed until April/May when my car is running agan. I'll post pics. and results once I have them.

Marc
Old 03-03-2006, 06:03 PM
rodders
Racer

Hi - sorry to have gone quiet - it was a hectic week to get back where I started from !
I finally identified that the ECU had gone down and needed work !
I had promised my son in law and his wife ( a close relation of mine ) TBK for the weekend so I procured a back up ECU and sent of the original withe the stock chip and the Promax chip to be rebuilt and checked out.
I didnt want to risk the second ECU if the chip was at fault.
The chips look OK - the ecu is away and I hope to get it back next week - I will make the 100 mile drive to pick it up swap stock ECU for the rebuild plus Promax chip and drive home - it should give me a good back to back check and I will report of course.
The car did its 450 miles over the weekend with no problems so things are back to normal.
I look forward to Marc's report
I am planing to fit a quick shift so I am hoping for major sympathetic drivability and a few good trips - in April to Chamonix for the last of the snow and in July to Thiepval for the ceremony of the 90th anniversary of the 1st day of the Battle of the Somme and maybe Le Mans
Old 03-03-2006, 08:11 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

I am interested in the MAF also. Looking forward to ear ow things go!!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:17 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I may have a brain the size of a sultana, but why can't these devices be verified to work ? You know, scientific method and all that. Measure performance (dyno, avg 0-60, something reasonably objective...) Change one variable (MAF and chip.) Measure performance again. Did it change? Decide if it suits your needs. Keep, return or sell on to someone else. Seems simple enough.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrylH
....Measure performance....Decide if it suits your needs.....
I think that there are 2 different "attitudes" towards performance at work here.

Correct me if I am wrong and I apologize for the generalization, but it seems that the UK/Euro crowd appreciate "seat-of-the-pants" driving performance or the "butt-dyno". Most positive feedback about the setup so far here is about the improved feel of the car and the great throttle response.

The N. America bunch through seem to put more stock in numbers, charts, dyno's, and hp output.

I think therefore that your suggestion to measure the performance and decide it it suits your needs may not necessarily follow on from one another. It may suit someone's needs regardless of any performance improvement due to the perceived performance improvement. Does that make sense?

That being said, I have already booked dyno time in May to get some numbers (after getting a compression/leak-down to confirm my engine is "fresh").

One of the things that convinced me to try this chip/MAF was the 30 day return policy -- that speaks volumes for their confidence in their product (and I don't just say that as they are a Sponsor here).

Marc
Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DarrylH
Well, I may have a brain the size of a sultana, but why can't these devices be verified to work ? You know, scientific method and all that. Measure performance (dyno, avg 0-60, something reasonably objective...) Change one variable (MAF and chip.) Measure performance again. Did it change? Decide if it suits your needs. Keep, return or sell on to someone else. Seems simple enough.
Yes,
In short, are all MAF's created equal(more or less). I'd really like to know.

n
Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
... I think therefore that your suggestion to measure the performance and decide it it suits your needs may not necessarily follow on from one another. It may suit someone's needs regardless of any performance improvement due to the perceived performance improvement. Does that make sense? ...
I see your point, although sometimes having spent money makes one believe in improvements that are otherwise hard to quantify. This discussion reminds me of my other nutbar hobby, audio, where the subjectivists and the objectivists natter at each other incessantly so maybe it's more sensible to say "Decide if the performance change, or perceived performance change, suits your needs or your taste." But for the innocent bystander, it'd be nice to have some hard data.
Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
That being said, I have already booked dyno time in May to get some numbers (after getting a compression/leak-down to confirm my engine is "fresh"). ...
Brilliant. Numbers speak to me.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:52 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by vernon
Hello I would like to buy one of your Maf kits but I live on Lake Tahoe N V USA. our gas hear is 91 at the top that we can buy hear for a 964. I have a high buy pass cat with a better hi flow air filter I have not seen any test yet on how good your Maf works hear in the USA? can you burn a chip for 91 gas for us hear in the USA I am at 6,450 feet Thank You Vern.
Hi Vernon,

We can burn a suitable chip for your car (if it is different to the ROW versions which is possible). If you are able to send me your ECU EPROM - I can then read the data and return it straight to you. I can then base a MAF chip (or AFM chip) image on that one (to ensure compatibility etc.).

The MAF measures air mass, hence at higher altitude it will auto compensate (by sending a sllightly lower air mass reading to the ECU). It's only at WOT (wide open throttle) that you may need slightly less fuel (as the air is thinner) and hence a minor change on the ECU EPROM (chip).

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 03-04-2006, 09:57 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by 92964cab
rodders or others, any update on the testing of the chip?

Thanks!
Hi All,

A chip (964) was recently sent to Dan Tidwell (Oregon). Hopefully he has received it, as it was sent on 14th Feb.

Dan, if you're reading this - can you let us know? Thanks.

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 03-21-2006, 02:37 PM
rodders
Racer

Well this thread went qiet but its back - only as a work in progress i am afraid !
The ECU that went belly up during the PROmax chip change has finally come back -
Totally F****d - sorry about the **** language but ..
However, it appears to total organ failure of the boards - one delaminated and current tracked and destroyed other components - in other age old age and nothing to do with the chip - which is good news for Andrew.
It will be next wednesday before the chip is installed as its not with me - I plan to meke a 100 mile drive change the chip and see what its like on the 100 mile return trip.
What a saga !!
I have to admit its all been as bit of a bore - but the ECU may well have been an accident waiting to happen so as Monty Python would say ' look on the bright side of life ' !!!

Any more info from Andrew and the states experience ?
Watch this space !

Quick Reply: ProMAX Chip and Maf unit