Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 92964cab
..Still waiting for the dyno results...
Yeah, well if someone could ship me some front drop-links for my new TRG bar so I can get my car back on the road, I'd supply some for you.

Marc
Old 04-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
So with the lower 91 AKI is ok. What are the power gains on 91 AKI vs 93aki?
The website says up to 30lbs/ft. I'm assuming with 98 RON/93AKI.

Also on the emissions issue, do you not know about the standards from getting the programming from eg a californian 964, which is different from the 49 other states in emissions?
Of course many who upgrade don't care about emissions, but some who use it as a road car do as changing chips or ECU is a pain (annually).

Originally Posted by promax_motorsport
Hi,

The chip has not been tested to be smog compliant, but should be fine. We only had to make the 968 chip different for the USA. 964/911 images were common to ROW/USA and the closed loop O2 sensor running will ensure correct AFR.

Again, if anybody purchases one and needs to return it for that reason - no problem - we'll just process the refund.

No CEL with Dan's car - hence, this should not be an issue. You can use 93 MON/RON/2 fuel (91 will be OK too).

Regards,
Andrew
Old 04-03-2006, 05:49 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To say that lower octanes "will be OK too" goes back to the question of increase in HP and torque.
Last I checked, you can't get the same HP/torque out of a internal combustion engine with lower octane fuels as you can with octane ratings a few points higher. Also, detonation or computer knock prevention are a concern and limitation... right?

Still waiting for the dyno results...

I wanna believe!
Hi,

All I can say is try one - the timing we use is fairly conservative. It can be advanced further for more power, but we leave some margin becuase not everybody can get the high octane fuel.

Try it, it's only $175.00 - you've only 45 mins of your time to lose fitting it. If you don't like it - just return via regular airmail and I'll refund you.

We offer the same deal on the 968 chip (see 968 forum and 968forums.net). The original 968 chip was not suitable for USA cars, so we developed one that was. Net result - those that had an issue (only a few) got the new chip (as well as keeping the old one). Take a look at the feedback - all were happy. :-)

See magazine articles in Excellence and 9 Magazine. If you need a copy - let me know (via email).

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need data... just a problem I have. I don't trust my perception of the car's performance... there are too many variables.
I saw a recent article in Excellence (or another one), if I recall correctly, the chip reference was for another model? The one with the dyno graph, right?
I'd like to see that data for the 964. If there were the same improvements, though slight, I'd still go for it. There were other references to "seat of the pants" testing... again, I can't spend $$ based on that kind of info.
Anyhow, thanks for the offer!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:08 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi All,

A reminder that the special Rennlist offer for the ProMAX Motorsport 964 Performance Chip continues until May 31st 2006!

For $175.00 USD (USA/Canada and USD payments only) you get the 964 Performance Chip, Anti-Static wrist band, full revised instructions and a ProMAX Pen!

To order, just send a PayPal for $175.00 USD to andrew@promaxmotorsport.com and post your findings here once you have tried and fitted it. 30 day money back warranty applied.

Have a good day all!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com

PS. For 911 3.2 also, but we just need your chip number (original Bosch one). See testimonials for more info: http://www.promax.uku.co.uk/testimonials.htm
Old 04-28-2006, 12:38 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Andrew, I think that if you just go get the dyno results done, or get a customer to give out the dyno results you would probably have a bunch of believers. But failing that, I for one am a skeptic. If your website has a 25hp increase noted, how did you calculate that? You must have used a dyno right?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:58 AM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

I agree! I am ready to buy the MAF conversion if I see some dyno results!!!!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Newbium
Intermediate

I also agree. Dyno results are needed prior to any purchase of the MAF conversion.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:30 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by kgorman
Andrew, I think that if you just go get the dyno results done, or get a customer to give out the dyno results you would probably have a bunch of believers. But failing that, I for one am a skeptic. If your website has a 25hp increase noted, how did you calculate that? You must have used a dyno right?
Hi,

We used a G-TECH accelerometer to calculate the power increases on a known good low mileage car back in 2004. The best we achieved was 24.7 bhp peak gain. The results will vary from car to car, that's why we can't give any guarantees on power and torque because these cars are all over 13 years old now. So, we offer the money back guarantee.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 964 (I used to have the Turbo version a few years back), but trying to get a customer to lend us their car for Dyno testing is difficult as very few are willing. With the 968 there have been many Dyno tests and customers were quite keen to see if the gains were as published. Again we observed considerable variance (worst of 11bhp and best of 22bhp). It also depends on what Dyno you use.

However, I completely accept that this kind of information is necessary to help potential purchasers make an informed decision. Hence, we will somehow try and get the loan of a car. I've got the option of a 911 Carrera 3.2 to test with (gains are very similar for this car). However, the 964 responds better as it can handle more ignition advance.

Something else to consider is this: the chip is not all about just power and torque. There are major improvements to throttle response and drivability as well as mid-range torque spread. These qualities are very worthwhile on their own and are probably the major reason for ProMAX chips being very popular with 944 & 968 drivers. The 928 and 911/964 markets have been more difficult for us.

As soon as I have some results - I'll publish them here. Have a great day all!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Andrew, you wore me down.
I'm going to pull the trigger on this and see if I can "feel" a difference.
My reasoning: Your comment above regarging throttle response. I notice a "lag" (for lack of a better term) under full throttle around 2K-3K I think. Maybe that will improve or go away... I'll give it a go. If it does and I don't experience issues with our poor quality fuel here in Ca., I'll be happy.

Will contact you later today re. purchase.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2006, 05:32 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

92964, perhaps we can get together and compare and see side by side? Do you hit any of those PCA get togethers for the Diablo region?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Kenny, not yet... I joined PCA last year and have seen the emails, just haven't been able to make an event. I will eventually. Good idea on compare although with yours being a coupe and much lighter I'm not sure we could tell much about the chip. I have another idea.
PM sent.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:52 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew, you wore me down.
I'm going to pull the trigger on this and see if I can "feel" a difference.
My reasoning: Your comment above regarging throttle response. I notice a "lag" (for lack of a better term) under full throttle around 2K-3K I think. Maybe that will improve or go away... I'll give it a go. If it does and I don't experience issues with our poor quality fuel here in Ca., I'll be happy.

Will contact you later today re. purchase.

Thanks
Please get a before and after dyno done.....you will need to do that anyway to detect these small changes in power. When I had my GHL system fitted a few years back when my car was standard, I did get around 20hp and 20lb/ft increase from around 3000rpm upwards.....but to be honest I struggled to really feel it.....so my advice is dyno all the way........
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

Andrew

I live in South Africa, where we get 95 RON fuel inland (1450m altitude where I live) and 97 RON fuel in the coastal areas. SA 964's are ROW spec, but were not fitted with O2 sensors nor cats, and the DME is jumpered to that effect. I assume the DME runs open-looped all the time.

Will your chip work in my car, and can you take advantage of the lack of O2/cat? I can send my ECU number if you wish.

I know that Royal mail will deliver to SA (have received other shipments via RM). Does your USA offer hold for ROW customers?

Thanks,

Le Roux
Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christer
Please get a before and after dyno done.....you will need to do that anyway to detect these small changes in power. When I had my GHL system fitted a few years back when my car was standard, I did get around 20hp and 20lb/ft increase from around 3000rpm upwards.....but to be honest I struggled to really feel it.....so my advice is dyno all the way........
Christer, I have no hope of actually feeling the HP or torque increase, if any. I'm justifying the purchase by hoping for a "smoother" feel under full acceleration... not sure if I will be able to feel that either but I have plans for much swapping of chips to see if I can feel it. I am going to be as objective as possible.
The time and $ to dyno just isn't worth it for me. I'm only playing around.
I have my fingers crossed that our California fuel doesn't cause trouble with detonation. Stupid Ca. enviro. regulations.. grumble grumble....
Hey! worst case I can go buy racing fuel at the 76 station in Manteca!

Quick Reply: ProMAX Chip and Maf unit