Sponsored by:

ProMAX Chip and Maf unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

True - most places charge by the block of time or by the run.

If you pay by the run, you've got all the time you need between runs and, if you pay by the time, just make it a fast drive.

I have 3 hours booked on a dyno in a few weeks so I'm gonna take my time.

Marc
Old 05-11-2006, 02:11 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
You'd disconnect the battery before swapping chips so why not allow each chip to work under optimized conditions?
The idea is to normalize the test conditions, usually people only disconnect the battery for the 2nd test.

It should only take a short drive to re-map the new performance chip before the second test, yes?
Don't even bother driving just use your Bosch hammer while you're idling and strapped to the dyno. In addition to the "smoothed" results if possible could you also get the raw "unsmoothed" (not the uncorrected) output from the dyno?

I have 3 hours booked on a dyno in a few weeks so I'm gonna take my time
If I had 3 hours of dyno time booked with RedRooster (i.e. someone who knows what he's doing) I'd forget about the aftermarket performance chip and steady state tune a custom version.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Anything built after March 1990 should have the updated DME control unit (with the 964 part number) without the FQS.
JA

So are you saying that a 964 DME with the 911 part number does have the FQS but a newer DME with the 964 part number does not??

I hate quoting Adrian because invariable he will be quoted incorrectly, but in the previous link I posted he was quite adamant that 964 DME's only have the coding jumper plug (at least some do) and no FQS.

I guess I will be removing my left seat this weekend to see for myself. The scantool software I recently got working shows my DME to have a 911xxxxx serial number.

If there is indeed a FQS, what would be the best setting for running at 1450m altitude (4700 feet) using 95 RON fuel?

Back on topic: I will be ordering my Promax chip soon

Last edited by LeRoux Strydom; 05-11-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

Sorry, I meant to quote Adrian from this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...quality+switch
Old 05-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

LeRoux,

I do not know about your car, but mine has a 8 or so position potentiometer that has settings that were linked in this thread previously. As for what is best I do not know. i had a brief pm with a guy who said 2 gave more hp on the dyno, as it put more fuel into the car. My car does not like to run on 2, or 1 really. Honestly its smoothest on 3 (leaned) and it may cure another problem I have been having that I wont go into in this thread (downhill power loss). But I definitely lose a bit of peak power on 3. Mine is obviously rich on 1-2 and you can smell the fuel. Now that I have the scantool software I've been watching the ox sensor and trim values to see how they react to different load conditions on the different settings. Fun stuff. I wish there were more settings!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"It should only take a short drive to re-map the new performance chip before the second test, yes? Marc"

This will not have any effect on the dyno run as it's done under WOT conditions.

Additional Note: Most/all tuners just modify the ignition map for the
"zero" setting position of the switch (not a pot). So, if the switch is
set to other positions, the mod will have even less effect than the
stock chip map.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default !!

i dont believe you guys are still discussing this subject!!!!!!!!
a monkey can install a chip in a 964 in 20 min. i have installed so many chips that i picked up off ebay (autothority, ruf, cup chip copy) , they all cost me less than 50 each and they all made a noticible difference, i even went back to the stock chip for a day to see the difference. i ended uo sticking with the cup chip(40$) , it made the car so much smoother and the top end power was amazing (i had a cat bypass with O2 senor, primary bypass, and a cone filter)
iam pretty sure the promax chip is just as good. to all of you that have received them, just disconnect the battery and install the chip, and then take your car for a hard drive for 20 min. thats all you need to do.
and to all of u that keep crying about dyno proof and bla bla bla unless you try one, dont contribute cause you dont know.
man, i think iam going to make a lot of people mad!!!!
sorry in advance iam just having a bad hair day
peace
Old 05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"all of u that keep crying about dyno proof and bla bla bla unless you try one, dont contribute cause you dont know.
man, i think iam going to make a lot of people mad!!!"

People have dynoed these chips with basically NO real significant improvements.
Just check ALL the Rennlist threads which discussed this. Also, when
the timing is "pushed to the edge" one always FEELS a difference. As Jason
has clearly explained, this "push" in most cases will result in LESS overall
performance because the knock sensor will come into effect MUCH sooner.

The performance chips do basically what was done with the old distributor
advance system by just loosening a 13mm nut and turning the distributor.
Furthermore, the 964/993 without any major engine mods to enhance air flow
(in/out) DOESN'T need anymore fuel.

It's only the naive who don't understand how the 964/993 DME system
with knock sensors has been fully tweaked for all driving conditions
by Porsche/Bosch, i.e. heavy loads (up hill & track), hot weather,
& poor fuel grades.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't even bother driving just use your Bosch hammer while you're idling and strapped to the dyno. In addition to the "smoothed" results if possible could you also get the raw "unsmoothed" (not the uncorrected) output from the dyno?
I had thought of that - just do an idle stabilization with each chip, I assume?

What is the difference between smoothed and unsmoothed (asked by a dyno virgin)?

If I had 3 hours of dyno time booked with RedRooster (i.e. someone who knows what he's doing) I'd forget about the aftermarket performance chip and steady state tune a custom version.
I wish! Sadly, I'll be all by myself in Montreal (closest AWD dyno).

Marc
Old 05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

If I had 3 hours of dyno time booked....I'd forget about the aftermarket performance chip and steady state tune a custom version.
I thought of that too - Unitronic (where the dyno is) do have custom chips they can map on a rolling road but the cost is over $1000 and not in the budget after the winter expen$es I just had.

Maybe next summer....

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 05-11-2006 at 06:30 PM. Reason: corrected the compnay name
Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"I thought of that too - UniChip (where the dyno is) do have custom chips they can map on a rolling road but the cost is over $1000 and not in the budget after the winter expen$es I just had."

More hypebole!

Custom for what, your stock 964 with a carbon fiber shift **** and a K&N
air filter?

Please!
Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_99l
i dont believe you guys are still discussing this subject!!!!!!!!
a monkey can install a chip in a 964 in 20 min. i have installed so many chips that i picked up off ebay (autothority, ruf, cup chip copy) , they all cost me less than 50 each and they all made a noticible difference, i even went back to the stock chip for a day to see the difference. i ended uo sticking with the cup chip(40$) , it made the car so much smoother and the top end power was amazing (i had a cat bypass with O2 senor, primary bypass, and a cone filter)
iam pretty sure the promax chip is just as good. to all of you that have received them, just disconnect the battery and install the chip, and then take your car for a hard drive for 20 min. thats all you need to do.
and to all of u that keep crying about dyno proof and bla bla bla unless you try one, dont contribute cause you dont know.
man, i think iam going to make a lot of people mad!!!!
sorry in advance iam just having a bad hair day
peace
Mike, lay off of the coffee?

Installing the chip is no big deal. I am just a tad smarter than a monkey, though it is a close call at times.
Maybe you wanna read a bit before firing off a response? The discussion is a little more in-depth than your reply.
Or, don't read this and be happy?

Either way, take it easy man... breathe...

Last edited by 92964cab; 05-12-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
...Custom for what, your stock 964 with a carbon fiber shift **** and a K&N air filter?
The modifications I have done so far are outlined in my signature.

I have not wasted my money on either of the things you have suggested but thanks for your input.

Marc
Old 05-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"The modifications I have done so far are outlined in my signature." - Marc -

Sorry for the direct implication as my use of "your" was inappropriate.
I should have been more explicit and stated that a custom chip is only
really beneficial when extensive mods have been done. Many get taken
"down the path" of a custom even for a small change such as an aftermarket
exhaust. The benefit/cost result is usually very very much less that one
and is another way of product marketing a basic generic/commodity item,
i.e. a performance chip.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I have said many times, my GHL exhaust gave me around 20hp and tq gain and I could'nt really tell the difference. I believe a Promax chip was fitted in 944 or similar in a current magazine (anyone else seen this) and I think it gained like 1.2hp or something like that.....?

You have to think about what you want to achieve with your car. Putting in a USD200 chip and getting 2 hp is pretty expensive (in fact along the same cost as my mods per HP) but more importantly pointless. You won't feel it. Its a bit like buying an Armani button when what you really want is the suit. I would save the money until you have enough in the fund to do something a little more....shall we say....drastic?

Quick Reply: ProMAX Chip and Maf unit