Sponsored by:

ProMAX Chip and Maf unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:21 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 92964cab
Andrew, I received the chip today. I'll get a chance to install it later this week.

Meanwhile, I have a question.
The install directions state the FQS switch should be set to zero.

What is the default setting?
If I am changing the default setting I'd like to know what effect this has on the car please.

Thanks!
Hi Mark,

The FQS is otherwise known as the fuel quality switch. It is set to zero as a default, but sometimes we come across cars where it has been adjusted. This may retard the timing by a few degrees and/or reduce or increase fuel delivery by a %. By being set to sero, you are then sure of using the optimum fuel and ignition advance for your car (as delivered by the ProMAX Performance Chip).

Hopefully we will see a few testimonals from the 5 chips we have supplied to US based rennlisters in the last week. Please let me know your thoughts.

I guarantee those that try one will notice improved performance. I look forward to hearing what you guys think. :-)

Have a great day!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com

Last edited by promax_motorsport; 05-12-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:38 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer
As I have said many times, my GHL exhaust gave me around 20hp and tq gain and I could'nt really tell the difference. I believe a Promax chip was fitted in 944 or similar in a current magazine (anyone else seen this) and I think it gained like 1.2hp or something like that.....?

You have to think about what you want to achieve with your car. Putting in a USD200 chip and getting 2 hp is pretty expensive (in fact along the same cost as my mods per HP) but more importantly pointless. You won't feel it. Its a bit like buying an Armani button when what you really want is the suit. I would save the money until you have enough in the fund to do something a little more....shall we say....drastic?
Christer, I am not hoping for noticeable HP gain. I am not going to dyno the car... though some others are and I am looking forward to the results.
As I posted previously, I am hoping to "see" a smoother power curve (stop laughing) as some have said they gained and as is being advertised. For me, testing will be seat-o-da-pants.
If no gains, we are told we can return it...
Old 05-12-2006, 10:41 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Default Ultimate street chip

Give me a chip that will allow me to reliably(Zero stalling issues) run a lwt flywheel. Maintain all the present safety margins of the stock chip. I've been in remote places where the two fuel choices were 87 octane and diesel.
Rather than giving some butt-perceived(some of you must be pretty sensitive back there) thought of power, return to that true sportscar character of a quick rev'ing/decelerating engine.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Christer, I am not hoping for noticeable HP gain. I am not going to dyno the car... though some others are and I am looking forward to the results.
As I posted previously, I am hoping to "see" a smoother power curve (stop laughing) as some have said they gained and as is being advertised. For me, testing will be seat-o-da-pants.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:01 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Ah, but Mark, will you also return your "finely honed high performance writing instrument"?

n
Old 05-13-2006, 03:58 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
Ah, but Mark, will you also return your "finely honed high performance writing instrument"?

n
Absolutely!

Christer, didn't mean to make you repeatedly hurt your head. Hope you're OK.
I probably wasn't clear... I know I won't feel the HP gain.
I am hoping for smoother acceleration accross a broader RPM range. I am hoping there is an improvement I can "feel". If not, then... the chip and pen return.
Nice pen though.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by Christer
As I have said many times, my GHL exhaust gave me around 20hp and tq gain and I could'nt really tell the difference. I believe a Promax chip was fitted in 944 or similar in a current magazine (anyone else seen this) and I think it gained like 1.2hp or something like that.....?

You have to think about what you want to achieve with your car. Putting in a USD200 chip and getting 2 hp is pretty expensive (in fact along the same cost as my mods per HP) but more importantly pointless. You won't feel it. Its a bit like buying an Armani button when what you really want is the suit. I would save the money until you have enough in the fund to do something a little more....shall we say....drastic?
Christer, I too believe a chip is not going to bring any real power gains. Still by advancing the timing at partial throttle , it can give the illusion of smoothness at the expense of consumption for no real power gain. I'm waiting for the engine to drop below 235hp before I think of any mods. Mine still dynos at 245hp at the FW.
The biggest problem with chips (besides the placebo effect) is the raised rev limit. I think it's fine in a car that is new but with 13-17 year old components? I'm not sure. Some have had problems with that.
Btw some butts are more sensitive than others. My older 90 Targa had full header/exhaust, chip and cup intake added for 21hp/13 lbs/ft increase and I felt it, esp at 3500rpm+.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:13 AM
tafkai

n51 ,
what youre asking is an easy task .
do a search , you can do something with something on the engine to stop it stalling , and a re-chip can raise the tickover slightly .

i thought i had stalling problems with my lwf , but it turns out i'm just a terrible driver !!!

since learning to be a boy-racer and blip my throttle at lights etc. i can no pull away noisily and smoothly !!! ( cat by-pass and fabspeed dual outlets)
i've only stalled once this weekend
and this was balanced out by a gang of young lads running towards me last night to take pictures on there mobile phones !!!
damn paparazzi
Old 05-14-2006, 08:16 AM
tafkai

oh , and did anyone see the running report on the promax fitted 944 in 911 + pw ?
i thing it was the editors car that had to have all the newly fitted maf kit and chip stripped out to get it through the mot inspection !!
not good press for promax , as it even mentions in the article that there is a few bad reports on certain 944 forums !!!

though it does say that promax will look at it as theover-fuelling problem couldnt be due to there kit
Old 05-14-2006, 10:18 AM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well, did anyone install their chip yet??? what are you waiting for??
Old 05-14-2006, 12:45 PM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by tafkai
oh , and did anyone see the running report on the promax fitted 944 in 911 + pw ?
i thing it was the editors car that had to have all the newly fitted maf kit and chip stripped out to get it through the mot inspection !!
not good press for promax , as it even mentions in the article that there is a few bad reports on certain 944 forums !!!

though it does say that promax will look at it as theover-fuelling problem couldnt be due to there kit
Hi All,

The MAF kit was removed (and returned to SciVision) from Steve Benetts car (editor of 911 PW magazine) as it was overfueling the engine. This was due to a broken temp sender wire on the MAF computer (according to SciVision) and we are hoping to fit a replacement new generation style MAF kit when SciVision return it to us. At first, there was some confusion as power charts sent to us confirmed the car running lean with the MAF kit fitted. When we looked at the car - we realised the charts must have been transposed or incorrect as the car was clearly running rich (12.5 - 13.5 AFR).

The 944 8v is the least responsive car to tune, hence gains on this model are not idicative of what they are on the 964 (or other Porsche models). Please see what the members here think before you make up your mind as to whether our products work or not. We have supplied well over 1000 chips to Porsche owners worldwide with a very high satisfaction rate (over 99%). Over 40 MAF kits have been sold (mainly to 951 onwers). See the Rennlist 951 (944 Turbo & 944 Turbo S) forum.

I am not aware of any bad reports on 944 forums (as they are mainly all here). However, we did have some strong criticism from non customers who read this report. Unfortunately, that's what happens when things get published in magazines.

Its the same MAF kit as used on the 951 - see the 951 forum for numerous testimonials from other satisfied customers (search for SciVision MAF). Hope that clarifies the situation for you all?

Have a great day!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 05-14-2006, 01:44 PM
tafkai

Originally Posted by promax_motorsport
I am not aware of any bad reports on 944 forums (as they are mainly all here). However, we did have some strong criticism from non customers who read this report. Unfortunately, that's what happens when things get published in magazines.

www.promaxmotorsport.com
sorry , maybe i used wrong words when talking about the magazine feature .
i only read it this last night as i was nodding off , and dont have it with me to correctly quote .

Originally Posted by promax_motorsport
I am not aware of any bad reports on 944 forums (as they are mainly all here).
www.promaxmotorsport.com

i dont remember reading bad reports on here either .
Old 05-15-2006, 01:39 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I received the ProMax chip last Wednesday. I was excited to try it so I also installed the chip that night. The install itself went quickly, very easy to access the DME and the connector is a nicely engineered piece that works well. One could tell that my DME has neve been touched.

I did not disconnect the battery as it seemed to me that the DME was going to lose power when I pulled the connector. I assumed this would reset the DME so that was the extent of my reset endeavors. Does anyone know differently?

I've been driving the car every day since the install and I've got to say that I don't sense a power gain or much of anything else for that matter. My car is due for a major service which I will due before the dyno session I have planned soon. Perhaps that will make a difference?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by C4Russ
I did not disconnect the battery as it seemed to me that the DME was going to lose power when I pulled the connector.
I/we did not disconnect the battery to install the chip either with no ill-effects.

Marc
Old 05-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Christer
Race Car

Originally Posted by C4Russ
My car is due for a major service which I will due before the dyno session I have planned soon. Perhaps that will make a difference?
Most cars feel a bit more 'responsive' after a service (and may well gain a couple of HP). I would forget the dyno session after, thats even more of a waste of money than buying a 'performance mod' and then not verifying what you are getting for your money. You have no baseline to compare to.....you see...?

Quick Reply: ProMAX Chip and Maf unit