Sponsored by:

964 Prices

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 01:26 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Nice 80k kilometers (50k miles) Baltic Blue/Linen RoW C2. Priced at $119,500.

https://www.dickbarbourperformance.c...il?id=18597410
I wouldn't buy that one as it's had the much derided FWD conversion =D

Last edited by Dubbed743; 05-07-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Nice 80k kilometers (50k miles) Baltic Blue/Linen RoW C2. Priced at $119,500.

https://www.dickbarbourperformance.c...il?id=18597410

So many questions with that one. Top side looks new bottom looks like it has run the full cup car race series in 92. Clearly the car was tracked and the exterior is too clean. A serious PPI is needed on that one.

Old 05-09-2022, 12:08 AM
georgej
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
So many questions with that one. Top side looks new bottom looks like it has run the full cup car race series in 92. Clearly the car was tracked and the exterior is too clean. A serious PPI is needed on that one.
When I clicked the link the other day and looked at the photos on my phone I thought what a pristine looking "C2" though looks like dry ice blasted underside which to me raises questions. I did notice the glove box lid was askew and the removal of probable cell phone mount. Looking more at the underside with a larger screen I see what you mean. I am guessing rectangular imprints with three holes are from roll bar backing plates right? I am curious what are the tells that this was a C4 originally? I don't think I saw anything in the listing that says it was a conversion which would not be very honest.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure why Dubbed743 believes this was a C4 converted to C2. I see nothing telling me so. It has everything in place as a C2. I have converted a few C4's to C2's which I prefer over a C2. The electro hydraulic braking system of the C4/turbo/RS is IMO a superior setup. Not sure why Porsche made different systems for the C2 but it seems a more costly way of doing things. More importantly why would anyone convert it to the vacuum assist setup if this was the case.

It definitely had a rough prior life. I am not saying it is a bad car and might have had everything addressed but it clearly was not a babied garage queen and the underside has been bottomed out more than many times. I suspect the paint being so perfect with all the signs of potential track use or low rider abuse that readings and a thorough PPI on this are a must.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:00 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

I think the C4-to-C2 thing was a joke. The listing on the Dick Barbour site says "Drive train: FWD."
Old 05-09-2022, 09:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I think the C4-to-C2 thing was a joke. The listing on the Dick Barbour site says "Drive train: FWD."

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying. I never actually bother reading the BS they post. I just look at the pictures. I know what I am looking at and find nearly 90% of the written content is BS so not worth the waste of my time.
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (05-09-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 02:37 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey folks! I'm shopping for a 964 Targa, and could use some help with values for different years. Been tracking all of the sales on BaT and across a few dealers (which if course is hard to make sense of often). But in general, what kind of premium do later model years bring over the earlier 964 targas? From what I can tell, all things being equal, one can fix any issues like DMF and oil leaks for ~$10k. So it seems to me model year differences might command a small premium, but things like mileage and color combo are the real drivers of different values (again, all things being equal).

Additionally, would a '94 targa command a premium? I know they are very rare, but since they're just '93s with a '94 VIN, that doesn't seem like a driver of increased value.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:06 AM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying. I never actually bother reading the BS they post. I just look at the pictures. I know what I am looking at and find nearly 90% of the written content is BS so not worth the waste of my time.
While I don't disagree with you that none of that stuff is relevant to the car, one does learn about the seller from those blurbs.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forbiddenbeat
Hey folks! I'm shopping for a 964 Targa, and could use some help with values for different years. Been tracking all of the sales on BaT and across a few dealers (which if course is hard to make sense of often). But in general, what kind of premium do later model years bring over the earlier 964 targas? From what I can tell, all things being equal, one can fix any issues like DMF and oil leaks for ~$10k. So it seems to me model year differences might command a small premium, but things like mileage and color combo are the real drivers of different values (again, all things being equal).

Additionally, would a '94 targa command a premium? I know they are very rare, but since they're just '93s with a '94 VIN, that doesn't seem like a driver of increased value.
Usually the later MY cars command a premium over the earlier ones. The closer it is to the last produced usually will show some premium but condition mileage etc are all factors as you noted. We are still not sure if the 94's which appear to be 718 coded, were double counted or not. Several of the 718 cars were double counted in the initial numbers the internet has made false fact of. The later 92 on cars had all the 964 issues dealt with but do have the G50/05 trans which changes the R&P so it has taller legs per gear but not necessarily faster. There are many small things that changed by 93-94 so that all depends on how important it is to you. Things like R134 vs R12 refrigerant and upgraded cooling system which are different and countless other little things. Finding a good targa is becoming tougher all the time. A few years ago nobody wanted them today they are becoming nearly as hot as the coupes. So focus on the car itself. Oil leaks may be an expensive repair especially if it needs a top end.

Originally Posted by Dubbed743
While I don't disagree with you that none of that stuff is relevant to the car, one does learn about the seller from those blurbs.
I understand what you are saying but the days of trust the seller has gotten a lot of people in trouble. I don't trust any seller. I don't care if the entire world respects them or not. There are many sellers on BaT that the world thinks highly of I wouldn't trust a thing they say. I focus on the car, which I can usually read like an open book through the right pictures or seeing it in person. Once I see something that raises a flag I ask questions and how they respond will tell me what I need to know.
The following users liked this post:
L39E (05-12-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:26 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Nice looking Cup USA with 35k miles. This is the 24th Andial car. Car was converted back to full race spec at ~15k miles by an independent shop and and was used as a track car up until ~34k miles. It was never raced competitively as far as I could find out. Was converted back to street spec ~1k miles ago. No affiliation with this car.

https://www.porschedowntownchicago.c...ff81b95fe4.htm

Last edited by RapidGT; 05-13-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:40 AM
dmaddox
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

That price is "high". :-) Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:48 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaddox
That price is "high". :-) Have a good weekend everyone.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.....
Old 05-13-2022, 02:49 PM
unicorn2
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 48 Posts

Usually the later MY cars command a premium over the earlier ones. The closer it is to the last produced usually will show some premium but condition mileage etc are all factors as you noted. We are still not sure if the 94's which appear to be 718 coded, were double counted or not. Several of the 718 cars were double counted in the initial numbers the internet has made false fact of. The later 92 on cars had all the 964 issues dealt with but do have the G50/05 trans which changes the R&P so it has taller legs per gear but not necessarily faster. There are many small things that changed by 93-94 so that all depends on how important it is to you. Things like R134 vs R12 refrigerant and upgraded cooling system which are different and countless other little things. Finding a good targa is becoming tougher all the time. A few years ago nobody wanted them today they are becoming nearly as hot as the coupes. So focus on the car itself. Oil leaks may be an expensive repair especially if it needs a top end.

I understand what you are saying but the days of trust the seller has gotten a lot of people in trouble. I don't trust any seller. I don't care if the entire world respects them or not. There are many sellers on BaT that the world thinks highly of I wouldn't trust a thing they say. I focus on the car, which I can usually read like an open book through the right pictures or seeing it in person. Once I see something that raises a flag I ask questions and how they respond will tell me what I need to know.

Ill agree with Anthony on the above. I had been looking for a clean 964 C2 coupe for over a year. Condition / mileage / color was more important to me than the year of the car. In the end I ended up with a sub 30k mile 1994 C2 coupe. Perhaps I paid a little more because it was a 1994 versus a 1992 but in the end my opinion is condition is more important than year. Buy the best example you can afford.
Old 05-13-2022, 03:31 PM
Ralph3.
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by unicorn2
Ill agree with Anthony on the above. I had been looking for a clean 964 C2 coupe for over a year. Condition / mileage / color was more important to me than the year of the car. In the end I ended up with a sub 30k mile 1994 C2 coupe. Perhaps I paid a little more because it was a 1994 versus a 1992 but in the end my opinion is condition is more important than year. Buy the best example you can afford.
Have you posted any pictures of your 94? Would love to see it.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:12 PM
unicorn2
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralph3.
Have you posted any pictures of your 94? Would love to see it.
I have not posted photos yet. In process of acquiring new suspension, tires, and other small stuff. It is however the car Nathan reviewed on the PCA Spotlight on the 964.

Quick Reply: 964 Prices