Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 09:54 AM
michaeljdunn
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K993
I won’t need to grind off much (wouldn’t want to weaken the welds), just don’t want to strip it (aluminum).
The OEM rod fits perfectly into the half moon by comparison. Funny that Numeric sells the GR on there website, fitment shouldn’t be an issue….
Yes, I had the same issue AND purchased the Golden Rod through Numeric with the shifter. I did a combination of filing down the welds AND I beveled out the 90 degree edges of the half-moon to get mine to assemble correctly, took about 3 takes until I could get the bolt to align and hand tighten. Dan at Numeric is aware of the Golden Rod issue as well, and he is still working on a fix as to why I am having clearance issues in 1, 3 , 5 gears. I have to keep mine in the long throw setting as the shifter is hitting the top of the internal frame, in short throw setting it would not go into the top gears at all. More to come with my story.

Last edited by michaeljdunn; 08-28-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:20 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by michaeljdunn
Yes, I had the same issue AND purchased the Golden Rod through Numeric with the shifter. I did a combination of filing down the welds AND I beveled out the 90 degree edges of the half-moon to get mine to assemble correctly, took about 3 takes until I could get the bolt to align and hand tighten. Dan at Numeric is aware of the Golden Rod issue as well, and he is still working on a fix as to why I am having clearance issues in 1, 3 , 5 gears. I have to keep mine in the long throw setting as the shifter is hitting the top of the internal frame, in short throw setting it would not go into the top gears at all. More to come with my story.
Sorry to hear you’re still having issues michaeljdunn. I completed the install yesterday, and no issues with the FD golden rod fitting into the receiver. I did, however, have difficulty dropping the unit into the tunnel. I dropped the right side in first, but could not coax the unit in. I had to break out the Dermel and knock down the corners on the left side a bit. Softening the edges of the left corners allowed my to press fit it in the second try.

No other issues on this easy and rewarding DIY project. Initial driving impressions were very favorable. Shifting was precise and smooth. A noticeable improvement from stock unit, which displays more resistance when shifting. Looking forward to getting this out on the track for a real test drive.

Hope you get the problem sorted soon, keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:44 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 153 Posts

As more of you get this installed what I would like to know is if the shifter can be set up so that 3rd and 5th are not so far from the driver as stock. For just cruising its fine but when I'm going though the gears in the corners and want to stay in the seat its too far. I guess with the forward rod eliminated there is no adjustment for the shift lever placement? Even so the shorter through would certainly help. Looking forward to more solid reviews!

Pete
Old 08-29-2021, 12:59 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

All good now. I took a flat file & just smoothed out the “lumpiness” of the GR weld. Just enough to line up the threads.
I had the Rothsport shifter in my 993 & the Numeric takes it to another level of precision​​​​​. Took it for a drive today….big improvement.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,204 Posts

In all honesty I just spent the weekend driving my 964 at Watkins Glen with the numeric shifter installed. No better place to test a product like this but on track. My wife and I both drive the car and put it through its paces. We put a combined 575 miles on the track with it over three days. I did not install the golden rod as I wanted to see how it felt and they don't seem to feel it is important and I agree. The unit is fine alone assuming your bushings are in good shape or install bronze bushings if you want and save the money on the GR.

Quality/design is very impressive. I will say that I have experienced every numeric product in other Porsche's and I hate to say this is their least impressive for overall feel. Their other products make newer Porsche's feel more like a linkage shifter vs cable and are a huge improvement.

My take $.02 worth:

I also had similar problems fitting the part into the tunnel of my 91. I had to make some modifications to make it drop in. I did this on my lift at home, all in all the install itself was a 1.5 out of 5 on the difficulty scale 5 being most difficult and that was just because of the time involved to remove the interior bits and the tunnel modification.

It is way too pretty to cover up but wouldn't leave it exposed.

Both my wife and I agree it was a nice improvement over the stock shifter linkage with fresh bushings. Overall in the longer throw it is very similar in feel to the other SS products we have in our other cars.

I don't want to say anything negative but IMO the short throw is too short and the longer throw a bit too long.

Comparing this to the rothsport shifter with SK and golden rod in my other track car I would put them on par with each other in the long throw setting although I lean to the Rothsport just a little as it places the shifter closer to the wheel making for easy hand to wheel movement. Although the cost of the numeric all in is considerably less making it more desirable. If you want a shorter throw the numeric does take care of that. Although IMO it does require a bit too much effort to pull it into gear in the shorter setting.

From my manufacturing perspective it is a very nice product and easily worth the money although I would recommend a revision and consider using a multiple notched slot allowing for more incremental throw lengths and possibly multiple length rods allowing for a taller shifter option. It could be included in the kit or sold separately.

Very nice product but I think they can improve upon the design in the future and possibly offer different rod lengths and adjustability for future purchase separately. In either case it does what is promised and what I prefer is not necessarily what others do so you need to decide the for yourself.

The following 3 users liked this post by cobalt:
BLACK3.2 (08-30-2021), Garydose (09-02-2021), Rephlex (02-03-2023)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:21 AM
revolve40
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

I would generally agree with cobalt’s assessment. I don’t find the shorter throw setting too short, but I do agree more effort is required.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:49 AM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

I agree with most of the above assessments as well. This is not so much a “game changer” but an improvement over stock. The Numeric shifter throws seem a bit forward & to the right. I have long arms so not really an issue for me. I also find you need to be more deliberate in your gear changes as opposed to “close enough” w/the OEM shifter. Once you get used to it, rowing thru the gears is quite a joy.

Last edited by Meatball964; 08-30-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:03 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 273 Posts

Ok- so i just drove the one up above in s2k993's car.

I'll agree w Tony (cobalt) that the long throw should be a little shorter.
And I'll agree with bill, that the lack of adjustability means it doesn't naturally sit in the right spot relative to the stock shifter (numeric may want to chime in here and correct me on that - is there a way to adjust side to side and fore/aft?) - anyway, not happy w that, though you get used to it and it's totally fine once your hand knows where to go.

But as to feel...wow...

First I'll say that i just went through a half year of being me- and doing 996 numeric shifter madness on the 996, because in that car- a numeric shifter and cables is just something you add to the price in your head when you buy the car- same w the 997, cayman and boxter. I wouldn't own one of those without the numeric. But being me- i also won't own the numeric and cables without addressing the noise. Which i did and now it's as quiet as stock, and as precise as a rifle bolt. Took a lot of doing- but results are "wow".

Back to the 964. I've made a lot of changes to a lot of shifters in the 964 and have basically installed and tried everything. This is by far the coolest solution I've seen. The shifting is equally as precise as the solution in the 996 (maybe a little better since there are no cables). The feel of the shifter is incredibly smooth. And the feel is so precise and clean you get a way better sense in your hand of slipping into the gear. I really liked that. Further, you can have the entire assembly appear bone stock, which i also prefer. I did the same w the 996, and those of you on Instagram may have seen the 993 weighted rs shifter i made for the numeric after modifying their shift lever...

Anyway- i hadn't expected this to be much of an improvement over the use of solid bushings, heim joints, new shifter cups etc. And i hadn't expected to be wrong. I was. This is a great product. Really happy with it. Hats off to numeric.

Improvements? First- guys- again- 964 C4, we were here first. Come on now...

Second - side to side adjustment and fore/aft adjustment would be helpful for fitting some of our non-monkey arm guys...

Third- their isn't a third. Which means you win. First product designed to make an improvement - that actually impressed me, in ages. Nothing against the rest of the youhoos out there making performance parts, cuz a lot of them are good. Most are unnecessary. This one improves the way the car feels in all the right ways.
The following 2 users liked this post by Goughary:
Numeric Racing (08-30-2021), Rephlex (03-10-2023)
Old 08-30-2021, 04:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^ I found the rothsport solution is equally as Impressive IMO but nearly double the cost if you include the SK and GR. Both have their pros and cons. I do prefer the Rothsport to a degree since it allows me to adjust the position of the shifter back closer to me since it retains the front linkage which can adjust this. My wife who is nearly a foot shorter than me thinks it is perfect so she wins. Adjustability or an optional angle to the main shifter bar might be nice as well. There seem to be many possibilities untapped here. I have no need for the supper short throw, never been a fan of a pistol grip twist of the wrist feel myself and I see little gain even on track. For me personally If they made a setting in between I would enjoy it even more.

In either case the shift from 4th to 5th coming up through the esses at the Glen is a simple push to the right using the inside of my fingers and a slight reach to drop her back down going into the bus stop in the longer throw setting. You never really consider it while the adrenaline is pumping anyhow.

I chose to use a battery cap cover from a car battery to plug the opening in the shifter boot. A little silicone and zip tie and it is nicely sealed and can easily be removed later if I choose. But this is in the **** Box which is anything but elegant.

I need more seat time with this car it took me the entire weekend to warm up to it. My son was quite a bit faster than me getting down to the 2:10's in his 981 CS. The fastest driver in Blue white except for a Gt3 with horrible lines. He was blowing by GT4's and other cars. It is fully dialed in and has many upgrades 100 more HP and weighs 150 pounds less. Might also be I am getting old and slow. Although the advanced sessions are making old 964's a thing of the past as power to weight is just not there.

Looking forward to more seat time and playing around with this shifter.

Last edited by cobalt; 08-31-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 05:58 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

I find the more I drive the car, the better the shifting gets (as I get acclimated). Well done Numeric!
Nice idea Anthony, using the battery cap so the tie wrap has something to grab (wish I thought of that). I went with a bit of Dynamat (inside & out) instead of a rubber grommet for the forward rod hole.
Not sure if that hole is a source for road noise but why not while the cover is off.

The following users liked this post:
Rephlex (02-03-2023)
Old 08-31-2021, 11:10 AM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 221 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K993
I find the more I drive the car, the better the shifting gets (as I get acclimated). Well done Numeric!
Nice idea Anthony, using the battery cap so the tie wrap has something to grab (wish I thought of that). I went with a bit of Dynamat (inside & out) instead of a rubber grommet for the forward rod hole.
Not sure if that hole is a source for road noise but why not while the cover is off.
Glad to hear this! We appreciate all of the feedback!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 09-01-2021, 11:58 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Do you guys have a projected release date for the C4 shifter?
Thanks!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:28 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd love to see Numeric weigh in here in a dialogue on the types of feedback that Cobalt and others provided. If the shifter will now sit significantly further to the right, that does not seem to meet the stock fit expectation.perhaps his is a unique situation but it would be helpful IMO for a bit more engagement from Numeric. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:10 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 691 Likes on 298 Posts

Just got mine back, the feel is much improved over stock thats for sure, will still take some getting used to though but that applies to the entire car as I haven't driven it much at all.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:27 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

So I was involved with the numeric install on 2Swoosh's cup car install at Apex Autowerks. He had the car dropped off with a short list of things.

Ok I couldn't resist being around such a unique gem. I have known at least 12 964 Cup car owners some who owned more than one over the years but it has been a while and rarely get to be so up close and personal.

So a few points. There seem to be different shifter boxes that could be installed in these cars. My 93 C2 and turbo look like this 92 Cup car but my 91 was a bit different and I have to check my 90.

My 91 I installed the Numeric in

2Swoosh's Cup Car

The golden rod does not mate to the numeric without some modification. A light grind of the weld until it seats properly and clean and paint and it is set to go.

Clearly the shifter box is not a sealed unit so sealing tightly isn't necessary. After a full cleaning some gorilla tape inside and out will stick quite well and protect from the extreme cases but the box is open along the top which is much easier to see cup car style when you don't have all that heavy undercoating.

Nothing but seam sealer👍

Openings taped closed. Golden rod installed and end of boot for shaft plugged, siliconed in place and zip tied.

Has nothing to do with the numeric but you have to love the clean underbody of the RS/Cup car.

Manual Steering rack on a light weight car. Minimalism at its finest.

The cup

Last edited by cobalt; 09-02-2021 at 07:29 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cobalt:
Aeropooch (11-12-2021), JP-"S" (11-25-2021), PAOLOP (09-03-2021), Rephlex (02-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Short Shifter