Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 02:28 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 606 Posts

Hey I've been trying to diagnose a shifting issue into 1st... still not convinced its not the solenoid. This bearing looks to be out, shredded... is that a fix I can do without sending it back to you guys?

video link here https://www.dropbox.com/s/99jl6qsiub..._4762.MOV?dl=0
Attached Images  

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-17-2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:40 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Refreshing this thread as I have the same issue where I can not properly engage 1, 3 and 5th as the shifter is hitting the numeric cage. I bought this at the original sale a year ago but just got around to installing.

@michaeljdunn Did Numeric ever come back with a possible cause?

My own assessment is that it is not likely the numeric shifter at fault unless the first couple were made differently. I took the assembly apart and the cage can only be assembled one way and the shift pivot block looks symmetric so it would not matter which way it was installed. My shift lever was installed the correct way on delivery that much I checked a year ago

When I have everything connected in the car the lever does not sit straight up (ignoring the dogleg) and not central in the cage, it is biased towards the front by about 5mm or more. That does not leave enough throw to engage 1, 3 and 5 properly. The easy fix is that I chop my brand new golden rod to get the lever sitting straight up. I plan to do this but I would also like to understand the root cause of this offset. So either it is the golden rod (I only need 5mm more throw) which seems like a pretty easy part to make and I would think they have a welding jig to ensure the part repeatability. Or it is the engine / tranny position which I don't have much insight as to how that could vary. Is it likely that the engine and tranny can be 5mm or more out? The design of the Numeric does not allow for much variance in the rod or engine/tranny (or stack up of both) where as the stock shifter can accommodate due to its slide mechanism.

I will measure my golden rod and if anyone happens to have one at hand it would be great to know the measurement. Thanks

Originally Posted by michaeljdunn
Hey guys, just TRIED to install mine today and finally got it to "work" but had to put shifter into long throw position as in short throw I could not get into any of the "top" gears (1st, 3rd, 5th) as the shifter was hitting the front internal frame. Once I moved the shifter to the long throw position I was able to get all 5 gears but there is still a slight interference issue. I made a video and sent it over to Numeric so will see what they come back with. Golden rod was the same length as factory rod, the Numeric "N" was facing rear, and the shift rod was curved back towards the rear of the car, as that is the only way you can install this as the transmission shift rod can only install one way on the shifter, so I am at a lose as there are no other adjustments that can be made?

I also had to file down the welds on the Golden Rod (purchased new from Numeric with the shifter just FYI) as the rod bolt would not even align or allow the bolt to finger tighten as the welds forced the rod to far away from shifter receiver to align properly.

Guess will see what Numeric has to offer tomorrow when the open up.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:33 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 812 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Refreshing this thread as I have the same issue where I can not properly engage 1, 3 and 5th as the shifter is hitting the numeric cage. I bought this at the original sale a year ago but just got around to installing.

@michaeljdunn Did Numeric ever come back with a possible cause?

My own assessment is that it is not likely the numeric shifter at fault unless the first couple were made differently. I took the assembly apart and the cage can only be assembled one way and the shift pivot block looks symmetric so it would not matter which way it was installed. My shift lever was installed the correct way on delivery that much I checked a year ago

When I have everything connected in the car the lever does not sit straight up (ignoring the dogleg) and not central in the cage, it is biased towards the front by about 5mm or more. That does not leave enough throw to engage 1, 3 and 5 properly. The easy fix is that I chop my brand new golden rod to get the lever sitting straight up. I plan to do this but I would also like to understand the root cause of this offset. So either it is the golden rod (I only need 5mm more throw) which seems like a pretty easy part to make and I would think they have a welding jig to ensure the part repeatability. Or it is the engine / tranny position which I don't have much insight as to how that could vary. Is it likely that the engine and tranny can be 5mm or more out? The design of the Numeric does not allow for much variance in the rod or engine/tranny (or stack up of both) where as the stock shifter can accommodate due to its slide mechanism.

I will measure my golden rod and if anyone happens to have one at hand it would be great to know the measurement. Thanks

They now sell shifters with adjustable golden rods.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:54 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Great, thanks for the info. It confirms my idea to make my own adjustable rod. It’s probably not as pretty as a pro job but it works great. It also allows the shifter to be angled towards the steering wheel. Next up is an extended height shifter, I’m taking Resolves lead on that idea.

Also to wrap up my own investigation I found that my motor / tranny we’re sitting all the way forward on the slotted mount holes. I guess that accounts for the missing few mm’s of throw.

Originally Posted by s65e90
They now sell shifters with adjustable golden rods.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Nice work but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a universal joint and cut up a factory rod and add the universal and adjustments?

I installed 2 of the very early numeric releases. I don't know what or if anything changed after but mine was supposed to be the first but missed that one. I still find the numeric is further to the passenger side than any other SSK kit I have.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:16 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

I had already purchased the golden rod and ground down the welds to get it to fit on the numeric shift arm. Seeing as I was past the point of no return I just made it adjustable to correct the shifter position issue.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Nice work but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a universal joint and cut up a factory rod and add the universal and adjustments?
Old 09-09-2022, 12:21 PM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Guys, what is the final verdict? is it really worth buying?
Old 09-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by 997 tt/rs
i don’t remember what it was like without it… maybe more smooth like a Honda Accord?
Old 09-09-2022, 02:17 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 812 Likes on 567 Posts

Compared to what? If stock, yes, no brainer to add a shifter.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:20 PM
revolve40
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 90 Posts

It rules.
Old 09-10-2022, 03:36 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Definitely much less slop than my stock. I did the install myself and there was literally no bushing left in the stock rod. I like the notchier feel of the shifter, I would say less so than a 997 GT and it’s not as smooth as a 991 GT box. I think it’s definitely a big improvement over stock but then my rod bushings were shot so that played a role in my slop. Overall it elevates the 964 experience and worth the money
The following users liked this post:
LOMartin (02-05-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 05:00 AM
Jaime_911
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do any of you have any insight about the C4 SSK?
I tried to contact numeric twice (email trough and site form) but no answer at all..

Old 02-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Jaime_911
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey @Numeric Racing any update for the C4 version?
Old 03-04-2023, 11:55 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Adding my experience. I’d read the various reviews, successes, and concerns shared and decided to go for it and purchase a Numeric short shifter. I’ve owned my 964 for 25 years and twice had the bushings fail. Numeric’s design appealed to me as there would be no more bushings!!

I installed the shifter today and am extremely happy with the results. Didn’t experience any of the downsides or problems other shared and LOVE how the shifter feels.

I went with the shorter throw. My wife rode along and recorded the 1st drive to capture my initial impressions, which you can find here:
The following 3 users liked this post by ChuckG:
fishing (10-03-2023), Rephlex (03-09-2023), YoCole (03-08-2023)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:13 AM
parkertseng
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

@Numeric Racing
I order a kit for my converted c2 for 964 c4, few months ago.
Together with adjustable shift rod.
Just about to start the installation next week
I found some difference of my kit to the video and post here.
Pleas refer to attached picture.
Which hole is for the shorted throw and how to install it with you adjustable shift rod.
Is ti normal or a new updates?
Wondering is there any link to explain this and installation guide?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Short Shifter