964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020 | 06:33 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

I had some time finally, to consolidate my ideas about the centre console. All the switches ahead of the gear shift have been removed and relocated. Since the lower knee pad dash was deleted for a Rennline product, there wasn't much room to place it on the lower dash so we had to create a binnacle to receive the 4 switches. A metal surround was created and that part will be attached to the underside of the knee pad delete.

Then the front part of the centre console surround was cut and a new bullnose type end fabricated so that when it attaches to the tunnel, it will look like it was supposed to be there. The whole piece will be recovered in leather or high end vinyl (depends on what I decide for the whole interior)

Onto the door panels in the next post
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (02-17-2020)
Old 02-15-2020 | 12:45 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Here it is attached to the Rennline delete kneepad. This will leave the entire space fore of the shift lever, free and open just like the older Porsches.

PRE

spartansix
Rennlist Member

Is that a window switch you have modified to take the place of the C4 diff lock switch? Any more info on how that was done?
Old 02-15-2020 | 02:10 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Thats a very astute observation Mr Six! The differential lock switch was a rotary type switch and that was going to be too large to place in the binnacle. One of the engineers came up with the brilliant solution to use the door switch. The differential lock was just a binary electric switch which was the same as the up and down contacts on the door switch. Since I am using pre 89 chrome door switches, I had plenty to spare. I will PM you the details of how it was done next week after I contact the engineer. Cheers
Old 02-16-2020 | 09:27 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Tell me this will be done in the spring and you will be going to Luft. Also, if you do decide to go, you have to go by my place so we could follow one another. On a side note, my business partner lives in Toronto.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 02-17-2020 | 09:32 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Love all the detail pictures. Thanks for taking us along on this journey.
Old 02-17-2020 | 06:52 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Tell me this will be done in the spring and you will be going to Luft. Also, if you do decide to go, you have to go by my place so we could follow one another. On a side note, my business partner lives in Toronto.

Mr. Wolfe

Greg, if I can make it, you bet I will pass by. I think you would be on my way down from Toronto. I am hoping it will be done...double hoping! Small world. we will have to talk more in the future over beers.
Old 02-17-2020 | 06:53 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Love all the detail pictures. Thanks for taking us along on this journey.
My Pleasure. I am just grateful that people are interested in my posts!
911Jetta (02-18-2020)
Old 02-17-2020 | 06:59 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Great stuff for sure.
Old 02-17-2020 | 07:24 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

The door panels are out. The weight savings are close to 16 lbs each. Bob at appbiz supplied the RS door panels and he is extremely easy to work with. Shipping was almost immediate. I went with the standard door cards in vinyl as they will eventually be covered and I will replace the pull strap with some sort of colored fabric or leather once the interior theme has been sorted.

I wanted to have an elbow rest on the door but didn't want a bulky thing. I looked to many different door designs, but wanted to stick with something from Porsche. In my search, I found one that was produced for the 1965-1972 Volkswagen Beetle and that fits right into my Porsche heritage theme. I think it looks great and I will likely keep the chrome strip when I recover it. To instal it, required adding some steel plate anchors into the metal so that I can securely rest my weight on the elbow jam. Minimal added weight of less that 2 lbs for the elbow rest. I may also add a netting of some kind to the bottom of the door as a storage spot. This way it can collapse into nothing when not in use.

The locking mechanism had to ground down a bit so the door card can be flush. But the circular lock has been removed and the door switches changed to chrome. Speaker holes still to be cut.

Last edited by GentlemanRacer; 02-17-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-17-2020 | 07:28 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Why did you decide to put full speakers in the doors rather than just have Bob perforate the door cards so that they could be hidden?

Actually, it looks so clean now that maybe you want to hide the speakers under the seats. https://customautosoundmfg.com/produ...s/undercover-2
Old 02-17-2020 | 11:42 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Actually I didn't even think about the perforation and I didn't discuss that option with Bob. Truthfully, I don't even know what I am going to do. I still have a few weeks before I have to make a decision. I am not sure whether I like the speakers exposed or the clean look. Thanks for the info. I still am waiting to get you the info on the switch.
Old 02-20-2020 | 04:19 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Just a quick update. The external parts have all been test fitted and checked. Next step is to get the car paint prepped. That will involve taking off all the paint and sanding it down to bare metal.

I am currently in the process of designing a rear deckled opening to give the tail a bit of a motorsport look, for the inevitable engine upgrade. I am looking for a nice pattern grill material that can be used both on the rear deckled and the front lower bumper cutouts.

911Jetta (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020 | 04:21 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Beautiful Vince. Have you decided on a color?

Mr. Wolfe
Old 02-20-2020 | 05:06 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

No front bumper openings? (for air coolers, brakes, looks, etc)

Quick Reply: Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation