Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 10:12 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

So the major front bumper work has begun. It might be difficult to watch for some as there was a lot of grinding and bending and shaping but one has to trust that the end result will be good. The bumper is tall, but that to hide all the stuff behind the bumper. We will have to camouflage the bottom lip, by painting it black, to make it seem like the bumper is shorter than it is.

its hard to get perspective, as there is very little room behind the car to snap a shot that gives proportions accurately.
The following users liked this post:
9SIX4-C4 (07-04-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 09:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,357 Posts

You are modifying the body, why not modify the tub as well? My 74 3.0 RS clone had the entire front portion of the tub removed and reconfigured to allow air to flow and fit an IROC style oil cooler. They could probably reinforce the front end since you have removed all the impact protection at the same time. Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:15 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

COST
Old 02-06-2020, 05:34 PM
Jmw1234
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Spike is awesome! I like the bias to Porsches on that show. That concept by Land Rover put very succinctly, was what I was trying to explain to the restoration shop and everyone else as to what I want to achieve.

Everyday I lay eyes on the car, I almost chastise myself for doing anything to 1 of the 267 ones brought to North America.

But I have to trust in the end result. In the end, I am building this for me. And I don't want to disappoint myself

More to come...
TRUTH.

kindred spirits- I ripped up the RS America- we are both better for it!!
Keep going.
The following users liked this post:
GentlemanRacer (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

COST
How much could it be? After all this what is a few $$ more? Modifying the lower tub shouldn't be more than a few grand tops.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:14 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

I hear you. But it all adds up. I would be so lucky as to have money be no object, but alas. I had thought about all of it, but as I said in my opening address - I have a budget and therefore have to choose wisely. This particular item does not warrant major changes. I want to make sure there is ample dollars to spend on a superb engine rebuild.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:18 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Well, just when I get all excited about how great things are going, the inevitable disappointment rears its ugly head. The rocker panels that were ordered to replace the existing ones do not fit. They are wide body panels but were designed to fit the adapted wide body parts of regular C2 and not a true C4 wide body. The shop acknowledged their error. After much discussion, we thought it best to remove the rockers and shark fin and fabricate a whole new rocker from the original part, do a little body work, and achieve the look it was supposed to have in the original plan.

Checked all the oil lines while we were at it.

This guy is one great fabricator

Starting to look better....

Since its winter, the car is moving along faster than originally thought, due to not many competing jobs during their slower months.
The following 2 users liked this post by GentlemanRacer:
9SIX4-C4 (07-04-2020), kos11-12 (06-01-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 08:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I hear you. But it all adds up. I would be so lucky as to have money be no object, but alas. I had thought about all of it, but as I said in my opening address - I have a budget and therefore have to choose wisely. This particular item does not warrant major changes. I want to make sure there is ample dollars to spend on a superb engine rebuild.
I have a horrible time keeping on budget. I am always adding something and I am on a retired man's budget. I have more into the engine I am building than I spent on my C2 initially. I just decided to scrap the distributor and am using coil packs for added spark. Not much money but keeps adding up. I had to draw the line at the BMW ITB's

Well, just when I get all excited about how great things are going, the inevitable disappointment rears its ugly head. The rocker panels that were ordered to replace the existing ones do not fit. They are wide body panels but were designed to fit the adapted wide body parts of regular C2 and not a true C4 wide body. The shop acknowledged their error. After much discussion, we thought it best to remove the rockers and shark fin and fabricate a whole new rocker from the original part, do a little body work, and achieve the look it was supposed to have in the original plan.

Checked all the oil lines while we were at it.

This guy is one great fabricator

Starting to look better....

Since its winter, the car is moving along faster than originally thought, due to not many competing jobs during their slower months.
Funny I spent a lot of time fabricating the parts you are removing building widebodies. This IMO is the most critical area of a back date on a 964. Get this right and it looks good if not??

I think you are the first I have seen do this. Should be interesting to see when done. GL
Old 02-07-2020, 09:57 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

I love these quick updates. I think I am going to personally like your rockers better than the backdate.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 02-08-2020, 04:50 AM
964.4L
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 89 Posts

Great build. Love seeing the progress. Going to look amazing once done.

When do you think you will have it all finished?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Some good looking cosmetic surgery going on, I’m also looking forward to seeing the next round of pictures. I am very curious, when they go to paint are they putting a protective coating on the underside of the bodywork too?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:52 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 964.4L
Great build. Love seeing the progress. Going to look amazing once done.

When do you think you will have it all finished?
Thank you for the kind words. It will be sometime in April. I have been following your build as well and as you know, it’s just a waiting game sometimes. I would have liked to have the interior and engine work be done simultaneously, but due to cost it is being done sequentially. I am thinking the entire project should be done by early next year.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:56 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Some good looking cosmetic surgery going on, I’m also looking forward to seeing the next round of pictures. I am very curious, when they go to paint are they putting a protective coating on the underside of the bodywork too?
After all the parts are fabricated, they will all come off, except some of the metal pieces. All these parts will be in the painting chamber and get protective and full coats of primer, paint ( not all under surfaces) and clear coat ( not on the underside),on all surfaces that are exposed. Then they will be assembled on the car for the final result.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:45 AM
964.4L
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 89 Posts

Thank you for the kind words. It will be sometime in April. I have been following your build as well and as you know, it’s just a waiting game sometimes. I would have liked to have the interior and engine work be done simultaneously, but due to cost it is being done sequentially. I am thinking the entire project should be done by early next year.
Totally hear you on the cost. Spreading it out softens the blow.

You are motoring along super quick. And looks like you have got a great team working on your car.

Cant wait to see the finished product. I am following with great interest. Love it! 👌
Old 02-09-2020, 04:56 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

The pace has quickened considerably since the depths of winter are amongst us and the shop has had some extra hands and some idle time. I don't expect that to last long though. The work actually started a while before I started posting and as I indicated in my opening post, I was waiting until I had some more photos and something interesting to post so the thread doesn't fall victim to stasis. The car was delivered to the shop back in August and there was a lot of planning and decision making going on for about a month. Disassembly occurred during October and November, with a long lull period waiting for parts. We are mostly caught up now with the work, but there are some interior work which I haven't gotten around to posting since they are just finishing up the fabrication. More to come soon.
I would have loved to get some of your carbon parts. That was a great job they did!

Quick Reply: Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation