Sponsored by:

Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 06:19 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation

This concept, more or less, has been in my planning agenda for the better part of 10 years. I have finally mustered the courage to do it and well...I can't go back now. Or can I? Pun intended.
I didn't necessarily have a car in mind when I started thinking about this, but mainly it centered around my love of certain classics, Porsche and others, and how I loved the unbridled designs of the past, but didn't want to be stuck in the technology of the time. My own progression through life and automobiles eventually became very heavily Porsche focused through my first 997.1, then HPDE, instructing and then racing. Which eventually led me back to the older Porsches and the marvel at their engineering and handling for their time. After serious research and much debate, I decided to start this rebirth with a 964 C4 Widebody. I chose this because I am not old enough to wax nostalgically about manual steering or lack of heat and ABS, but wizened enough to know that Porsche nearly went bankrupt designing and building this generation and it shows. The cars are amazing and a solid platform to start with.
I know some of you are probably already rolling your eyes , and yes there are a lot of influences from the Singers, Kaege and many many iterations or backdates and restorations, but I just wanted it to reflect the things I love, that I have learned and how I envisioned my classic would be.

To that end, it had to have 3 criteria what the industry define as Emotional Design Criteria:

Visceral - When you look at it, do you desire it?
Behavioral - When you use it and drive it, does it feel and sound right?
Reflective - After a long time in it, do you still love it?

I had to separate the build into stages as this project isn't quick or cheap. I would classify them into the following categories:

1. Will get done - External body work, addition or fiberglass and steel bumpers with pre 80s styling, RS type tail with current motorsport influence, delete sunroof, backdate to chrome surrounds, mirrors etc. Reconstruct the rocker panels to a more modern look. Remove as much weight by using lightweight materials, hood, glass etc. Repaint. Replace suspension bits, add new wheels and tires.

2. Likely to get done - Exhaust upgrade and tweaking. Interior redo, with dash reconfiguration, change interior to Alcantara and leather, add navi and bluetooth, refresh gauges, replace seats with lighter weight ones, replace door panels etc.

3. There might be chance it happens - Engine and transmission rebuild, if necessary eventually.

I would like to thank the various members who have been invaluable in helping with many of my questions regarding mechanical and inner workings of the car especially Rob, Bill, Anthony, Greg. I apologize if I forgot anyone.

I am well into the project and am posting now, because I actually have some pics to post with this intro. You can follow in more detail on my instagram

@drives2smiles

I hope you find this remotely interesting. Thank you

The following users liked this post:
Nendo (07-07-2020)

Popular Reply

07-03-2020, 01:44 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Finished 8pm July 2nd. No words.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:46 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Week 1

Bumpers and rockers removed

Rear deck lid, some trim and interior door panels

Started my own shelving system

Old 01-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Someone's been listening to Spike's Car Radio

Looking forward to seeing the transformation even though you're starting with such a nice example......
Old 01-18-2020, 09:09 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Spike is awesome! I like the bias to Porsches on that show. That concept by Land Rover put very succinctly, was what I was trying to explain to the restoration shop and everyone else as to what I want to achieve.

Everyday I lay eyes on the car, I almost chastise myself for doing anything to 1 of the 267 ones brought to North America.

But I have to trust in the end result. In the end, I am building this for me. And I don't want to disappoint myself

More to come...
The following 2 users liked this post by GentlemanRacer:
911Jetta (01-18-2020), Nendo (07-07-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 10:32 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts

Wow, that is quite the starting point for your project! Subscribed and eager to follow your journey.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:44 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Yes it was. The end result had to be a wide body look. A less than perfect C2 could have worked but that would mean attaching steel turbo fenders all around with welding and fabrication. This means the car will forever be transformed with no chance of going back. Even though the chance or returning to the original is not the goal, the cost was extremely high, whereas with the C4 wide body the body style is OEM. Even with all that I am doing, the car can revert back to its original form if so desired. Hence the decision to to go with the current car. Yes, it took long time deciding on that. Only time will tell. Cheers.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:49 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Glass is all out

Rear windshield and motor is out. New rear glass will not have the wiper assembly. Lots of other weight loss coming

9SIX4-C4 (07-04-2020), Nendo (07-07-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:03 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

I cannot wait to watch this transformation! I am one of those "267" as well.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 01-20-2020, 01:33 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
I cannot wait to watch this transformation! I am one of those "267" as well.

Mr. Wolfe
Greg, you were one of those that had some influence on the choice. Only because you love your car so much. I put so much planning into this...I do hope the end result is something wonderful.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Yes it was. The end result had to be a wide body look. A less than perfect C2 could have worked but that would mean attaching steel turbo fenders all around with welding and fabrication. This means the car will forever be transformed with no chance of going back. Even though the chance or returning to the original is not the goal, the cost was extremely high, whereas with the C4 wide body the body style is OEM. Even with all that I am doing, the car can revert back to its original form if so desired. Hence the decision to to go with the current car. Yes, it took long time deciding on that. Only time will tell. Cheers.
the shop looks amazing where is it?
Old 01-20-2020, 10:51 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 02m2
the shop looks amazing where is it?
This is CoachWerks on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. They do a lot of restoration of many amazing cars! I chose them because I would have had to piecemeal my build with a few different shops to get what I wanted and Coachwerks was able to do it all. You can literally eat off their floors. The majority of their customers are from the USA and International. I have only praise for their work so far.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:55 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Just a few pics I took, when the car was delivered.

Yeah .....thats a BMW M1 next to mine.
9SIX4-C4 (07-04-2020), luv2race (04-23-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
...I know some of you are probably already rolling your eyes , and yes there are a lot of influences from the Singers, Kaege and many many iterations or backdates and restorations, but I just wanted it to reflect the things I love, that I have learned and how I envisioned my classic would be...
Don't worry about it one bit, even today the factory dips back into the archives. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

You have probably already seen Michael Mauer's, Porsche's chief designer, recent 964 rebirth. (he's second 964 project car)
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1165510-m1m.html

Old 01-21-2020, 03:05 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Also, heck with the "267 in North America". You are in Canada, you need a plaque that says 1 of 13 in the country.

Mr. Wolfe
The following users liked this post:
tbaz (09-18-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:26 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Also, heck with the "267 in North America". You are in Canada, you need a plaque that says 1 of 13 in the country.

Mr. Wolfe
Now there is a fantastic idea Greg!

Quick Reply: Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation