Sponsored by:

Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 11:46 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 223 Likes on 107 Posts

Look really really good!!

Could you let me know what front headlights you have please?

Many thanks
Old 06-24-2020, 08:18 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Thank you!

They are Audette Collection JW Speaker 8700 Dual burn LED with clear Hella lens.

https://911bestinclass.com/collectio...31486435786812
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 AM
reinartdesign
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loving the progress of your build! Going to be backdating a 964 C2 myself here in Hong Kong.
I have a question, do you have the part numbers required for the front windshield? I was told that in order to get the chrome trim on the windshield you need to order a new windshield and gasket that will take the trim.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:14 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Stunning! The only 964 external visual cues are the smooth rockers and the heat shield over the catalytic converter.

That’s going to be a visual treat every time you walk into the garage.
According to Spikes Car Radio and the Emotional Design Criteria, the first reaction is Visceral! And yes it meets that criteria. I am pretty sure I might be spending nights in the garage just looking at it!

Debating right now, about the heat shield. Since I haven't decided on the exhaust yet, I will leave it for now. I have been doing a lot of research on the exhaust and I haven't found one that doesn't drone and/or reduce power from the engine. Any suggestions welcome. I see that Udo has a cat bypass and I will ask him how that sounds.

As for the whole rear undercar look, once the car gets back to me next week, I will be working to try to design a lip below the bumper to hide all that stuff. I envision it will be about 2-3 inches in height, but it has to be design worthy of the rest of the body. My son will be helping...I have to put his engineering degree to some use!

Last edited by GentlemanRacer; 06-26-2020 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spell
Old 06-26-2020, 08:24 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Wow, the cars at that shop. Slantnose!
I know! They send me pics, and I end up looking at the other cars, more than mine. It is a treat to hang out with them. And you are only seeing the Porsches and the Mercs. The Ferraris, Maseratis and Alfas from the 60s to 80s make one weak in the knees.

+1
Going for a hood badge sticker?

I was going to do that, but finally decided to put the metal badge from the 60-70 era cars. It has a certain flair to it.

Regarding the brackets around the cat, Fabspeed's cat (and sport cat) both have a very clean exterior look: https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-964...t-bypass-pipe/
I see the long g-pipe. You'll love the sound. Sounds especially good inside the car @ +4K.

I can't make up my mind on this. Some say way too loud, and others say it's perfect. Is it possible for you to post or send me a vid or sound clip of your car's exhaust, and your impressions of driving with it? You can pm me.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (06-27-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:26 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I like the front air dam being integral to the bumper vs the added rubber in black. Will there be a hood badge and did you consider doing a cat delete possibly straight pipe to eliminate the low hanging cat?

Very nice and a great color.

Hood badge will be from the 1963-1973 era. See my other post regarding my indecisions or what is really lack of sound data to make a decision on that exhaust setup.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:11 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

The evolution of the badge is fascinating. Never thought about the 356 badge size difference.

I’ll dig up some of my past posts about the cat bypass experience, but in short (no matter what the rest of the system is - either bypass or not) it gives the car a slightly more gruff and mechanical noise (heat shield blocks a bit of driver side valvetrain noise) so with that of you hear of the engine, not just exhaust. About 10% louder overall. In no way is it too loud (even with an additional exhaust bypass).

Went out in the car yesterday with my wife, trust me there is no way she would get in the 964 if it was too loud. If you can keep it below 4K and stay off WOT, no one will raise any objections. Lordy does it sound good in the cabin idling on cold start, and anything above 3.5k.

Plus, this cute little of car can get away with reving @ 3500, going 35 MPH in second down a residential street. Yes a bit of a racket, but it all fits the image in a nice way. When cars revel and made a bit of noise.

A couple random phone videos, so sound capture is okay, but not too far off:

Last edited by 911Jetta; 06-27-2020 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:38 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Udo, thank you! This is very helpful. That is not bad at all. And if your wife is fine with sitting inside it, then the interior noise should be acceptable.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 188 Posts

I have a similar setup: 100 cell cat, extended g pipe, and a drilled air box (not sure how much noise that adds). I tried capturing it on video today, but hard to do well by yourself.

With the windows down, it’s a little loud, but in a good way. Nice, deep rumble at low rpm, nice scream at higher ones.

With the windows up, it’s pretty quiet. On the highway cruising, it was about the same level as the tire and wind noise, which is low. Zero drone at any rpm.

I think I have less sound absorption than 911Jetta too, which I think is why mine seems a little louder than his video.

Last edited by Sirenty; 06-27-2020 at 06:01 PM.
911Jetta (06-27-2020)
Old 06-27-2020, 03:01 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

+1 on no drone.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:22 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reinartdesign
loving the progress of your build! Going to be backdating a 964 C2 myself here in Hong Kong.
I have a question, do you have the part numbers required for the front windshield? I was told that in order to get the chrome trim on the windshield you need to order a new windshield and gasket that will take the trim.

Hello,
You are correct. We had to order the new windshield. I am working on getting you that part number.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:24 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
I have a similar setup: 100 cell cat, extended g pipe, and a drilled air box (not sure how much noise that adds). I tried capturing it on video today, but hard to do well by yourself.

With the windows down, it’s a little loud, but in a good way. Nice, deep rumble at low rpm, nice scream at higher ones.

With the windows up, it’s pretty quiet. On the highway cruising, it was about the same level as the tire and wind noise, which is low. Zero drone at any rpm.

I think I have less sound absorption than 911Jetta too, which I think is why mine seems a little louder than his video.

Thank you for describing this. It is very helpful. I know a lot of this is subjective, but coming from both you and Udo, I would be willing to give it a chance. Which 100 cell cat are you using, and did you keep the heat shield?
Old 06-28-2020, 11:30 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

We ran into this- when we installed the tail section of the exhaust pipe.

I didn't like that look one bit. I know that I may eventually modify the exhaust and the tail section will likely be gone, but until then, I needed to make this less obvious. Since it is made of stainless steel, we cut it and sand blasted it and reattached it. I will be adding a ceramic or titanium tip to the end so it will be perfect depth once finished. It looks decent.

911Jetta (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:23 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Default decent?

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
We ran into this- when we installed the tail section of the exhaust pipe.

I didn't like that look one bit. I know that I may eventually modify the exhaust and the tail section will likely be gone, but until then, I needed to make this less obvious. Since it is made of stainless steel, we cut it and sand blasted it and reattached it. I will be adding a ceramic or titanium tip to the end so it will be perfect depth once finished. It looks decent.

decent understatement...decently understated as well, nigh on vorbei...
Old 06-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Thank you for describing this. It is very helpful. I know a lot of this is subjective, but coming from both you and Udo, I would be willing to give it a chance. Which 100 cell cat are you using, and did you keep the heat shield?
I forgot the brand. Not HJS, starts with a V I think.

Yes, still have a heat shield. Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation