Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 03:36 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

One of the things I had planned from the beginning was to delete the sunroof, not only for weightloss but because I don't ever use sunroofs anyway. It is 44 lbs including the motor. The headliner was removed and will be replaced with an Alcantara type one to match other parts of the interior when finished.

Last edited by GentlemanRacer; 01-21-2020 at 03:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-21-2020, 03:41 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
Now there is a fantastic idea Greg!
Now, find out which number of 13 you are. That would be epic.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 01-21-2020, 04:36 PM
0piston
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The beginnings of a phenomenal build! who's doing your interior re-upholstery? I enjoy that detail almost as much as the outside details. Following...
Old 01-21-2020, 08:55 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

That is in the "likely to get done" stage.

Actually there is so much to think about when it comes to the interior. There is so much choice, when it comes to material, and texture and design, that it can baffle the mind! I have a number of ideas and a rudimentary plan has been formulated, but I am going to concentrate on the functional redesign first, such as cleaning up the centre console and relocating the switches etc to make the space in front of the shift lever flat and flowing with the footwells. CoachWerks has the ability to do the entire interior as they have in house designers and access to an infinite number of fabrics, but they are a quite a distance away and so not an ideal situation for something which I consider may need my attention on an everyday basis. I am looking at a couple other local shops but yet to be satisfied with either.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:12 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This is CoachWerks on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. They do a lot of restoration of many amazing cars! I chose them because I would have had to piecemeal my build with a few different shops to get what I wanted and Coachwerks was able to do it all. You can literally eat off their floors. The majority of their customers are from the USA and International. I have only praise for their work so far.
shop looks amazing!! Can wait to watch your build!!
Old 01-23-2020, 01:31 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

Subscribed. Congratulations on starting this journey.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:44 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cajerseyboy
Subscribed. Congratulations on starting this journey.
Thank you. Lots more to come
Old 01-23-2020, 09:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,295 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Deep inside I am crying but looking forward to your completed project. I wish it were a lowly NB but what the heck.

So I ask if you are doing a backdate what are you doing with the steel parts? Fenders, quarters, bumpers, miscellaneous no longer used bits, etc?

Old 01-23-2020, 10:00 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

In case you haven't seen this thread for backdate/lightweight/retro ideas (it's got a bit of everything):
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tro-ideas.html
Old 01-23-2020, 12:31 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Deep inside I am crying but looking forward to your completed project. I wish it were a lowly NB but what the heck.

So I ask if you are doing a backdate what are you doing with the steel parts? Fenders, quarters, bumpers, miscellaneous no longer used bits, etc?

Anthony, I did my crying a long time ago. The decision to "convert" the WB was the single hardest decision. It took a year to make that decision! Starting with the NB would have meant way too many compromises in trying to fit the steel body parts to the frame. There were a lot of factors in play and not just the cost. Availability of 964s were also a factor. In the end, my WB was reliable and fun and would have needed the mechanicals and engine upgrades anyway, so the transformation of the other parts made sense.

The fenders and quarters are not removed, but the bumpers, hood, sunroof, wiper motors , motorized decklid etc are on my shelves. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. I guess I am waiting to see the end result before parting ways with them. I will likely sell them. If you are saying you are interested, you know how to reach me...we can chat.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:37 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
In case you haven't seen this thread for backdate/lightweight/retro ideas (it's got a bit of everything):
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tro-ideas.html

Thank you. Yes, I did browse this about a year ago. There are great examples on there. I agree with you on many of your posts. I am not really going for a replica here, but an amalgamation of ideas and function that made all the generations great. Everyone has their own opinion on these cars and what should be preserved and how they should look, but hot rodding and modifying is what any good car enthusiast would do anyway. I am so glad that our community is supportive of all endeavors...otherwise I would be scared to post anything like this .

Estimated weightloss without drastic things like mufflers and carpet removal etc is going to be 187 lbs. The suspension bits, once changed and recalibrated together with lighter rims and tires will improve the unsprung weight and carry a sense of nimbleness through to the chassis which will make the car handle lighter than it actually is.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:53 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Anthony, I did my crying a long time ago. The decision to "convert" the WB was the single hardest decision. It took a year to make that decision! Starting with the NB would have meant way too many compromises in trying to fit the steel body parts to the frame. There were a lot of factors in play and not just the cost. Availability of 964s were also a factor. In the end, my WB was reliable and fun and would have needed the mechanicals and engine upgrades anyway, so the transformation of the other parts made sense.

The fenders and quarters are not removed, but the bumpers, hood, sunroof, wiper motors , motorized decklid etc are on my shelves. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet. I guess I am waiting to see the end result before parting ways with them. I will likely sell them. If you are saying you are interested, you know how to reach me...we can chat.
I'm kind of with Anthony. But it's your car. One plea-- there are plenty of Singers and Singer-type builds out there, but no one has yet done a proper modernized wide-body 964 build like guntherwerks has done with the 993. If you do a modern lightweight build, it will be a novel addition to the existing works.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:04 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

In my head, I know what I want it to be. Dreams are however constrained by the availability of technical expertise, local craftsmen and money. If I had unlimited funds then anything is possible and I would certainly hope that the result would have been something novel. However I have to work with products that are out there. I am choosing the finest examples of the products I need and modifying extensively the parts that need to change. Guntherwerks is a lovely interpretation, and I have talked to them, but their parts are proprietary and they won't sell any of them unless you buy the whole package. I disagree though with statement that the guntherwerks is the only modernized wide body. Singer cars are quite modern in their application of materials, suspension, engine and electronics and their redesigned panels approximate quite closely a wide body stance. My car changes everyday and the journey is evolving with every touch on the car. I myself am looking forward to the final result. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:12 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

I disagree though with statement that the guntherwerks is the only modernized wide body. Singer cars are quite modern in their application of materials, suspension, engine and electronics and their redesigned panels approximate quite closely a wide body stance.
I mean modern in terms of aesthetics.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:35 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BLACK3.2
I mean modern in terms of aesthetics.
Sorry. I misunderstood. Yes for sure that is one of my goals. I hope I can achieve it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Future date/ Back date/ 964 Transformation