Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:02 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
thats better...surely that oil cap must be shortened to clear the hood?

also, engine's not even bolted down all the way and you've already got "torque straps" holding it to the fender

yup, it’s an animal that has to be strapped down at all times.

i think the oil cap will clear once I drop the engine an inch.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951

I’m test fitting one now, and I think it will be possible with a modified sump and oil pan, and a lower profile cam cover and external PCV system. Here are some pics with it sitting in a shell I’m using for mock-up. I think about an inch needs to come out of the sump/pan, and it would fit. Next I’m going to pull off the aluminum sump casting and see how doable that is.

*EDIT* updated pics.

Fantastic work man!

Maybe check this pan if it helps with clearance issues:
http://www.irozmotorsport.com/07k-longitude-oil-pan/

How are you going to mount the torque tube to the engine?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ish_944

Fantastic work man!

Maybe check this pan if it helps with clearance issues:
http://www.irozmotorsport.com/07k-longitude-oil-pan/

How are you going to mount the torque tube to the engine?
I like the IROZ pan, but I don't think it will help much with clearance for the 944 cross member. I tried contacting him a while back, but need to try again to see if he's willing to sell me some portion of his pan that I could weld different sheet metal to for the 944. If not, I'll make my own design.

I think I'm going to work with a company like QuickTime to get a bellhousing made that adapts from the 07k to the torque tube. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm guessing they have a design for the TTRS which could be adapted. If not, I'll design it and get them or another racing bell housing company to make it. I like the idea of not getting my feet cut off if the flywheel comes loose at over 8k rpm!

As for the clutch, I really like the hydraulic throw out bearing that my LS swap uses. I think I'll see if SPEC has a similar pressure plate that can bolt to the 07k flywheel. Or, make a custom flywheel that matches up to the closest pressure plate they have and use a 930 racing clutch disk.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:57 AM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think pretty much vertical, which may give me just enough room for a decent size turbo and manifold. I am looking at how to modify the sump to get it to sit about an inch lower so hood clearance hopefully won't be a big problem.
oil passage drainage from the head down to the pan won't be affected by being vertical vs at an angle as originally intended?

the 07k is half of a V10 motor after all.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

will this one work?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-Bel...-4082/10002/-1
Old 01-21-2018, 07:47 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audisport

oil passage drainage from the head down to the pan won't be affected by being vertical vs at an angle as originally intended?

the 07k is half of a V10 motor after all.
I'll have to check on how it sits in a Jetta, but from what I can tell, from the angle of the sump pan, it appears to sit just about vertical in that application.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:41 PM
audisport
Instructor

I'll have to check on how it sits in a Jetta, but from what I can tell, from the angle of the sump pan, it appears to sit just about vertical in that application.
Thats true. No cross member in those cars so it fits easier.

Dry sump would help but starts adding $$$$

Old 02-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys, this got released recently, any chance it will fit and help the cause.
http://www.designengineering.com/pre...haust-manifold
Old 03-06-2018, 11:28 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I need to login more often!

I like the IROZ pan, but I don't think it will help much with clearance for the 944 cross member. I tried contacting him a while back, but need to try again to see if he's willing to sell me some portion of his pan that I could weld different sheet metal to for the 944. If not, I'll make my own design.

I think I'm going to work with a company like QuickTime to get a bellhousing made that adapts from the 07k to the torque tube. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm guessing they have a design for the TTRS which could be adapted. If not, I'll design it and get them or another racing bell housing company to make it. I like the idea of not getting my feet cut off if the flywheel comes loose at over 8k rpm!

As for the clutch, I really like the hydraulic throw out bearing that my LS swap uses. I think I'll see if SPEC has a similar pressure plate that can bolt to the 07k flywheel. Or, make a custom flywheel that matches up to the closest pressure plate they have and use a 930 racing clutch disk.
The guy with the 1.8t thread in another section had been talking to QuickTime. Basically we want Rm-4082 (VW I4 to Muncie) engine face to RM-6033 (LS to 944) transmission face. Or you just use the RM4082 and make a small round adapter that converts from Muncie to 944 torque tube.

I've talked with Hank Iroz about a custom pan a while ago and he was onboard. However he's gotten a lot more busy with new Golf R/Audi S3 and TTRS/RS3 turbo kits so he's not even that motivated to do Audi based 07k swap parts much anymore. Very doubtful that he'd give up parts of the pan though. It's a very complex piece and took a lot of R&D to get right.
One thing with the oil pan that I haven't figured out yet is the oil pump might be right in the way of the crossmember. I didn't have the TT in the car when I put the engine in for mockup, so I might have had it too far back, but at first glance it looked like it lined right up in the way.

AK Motorsports is supposedly working on some 07K swap parts for Audis, but I haven't heard any updates from them. I imagine they are developing their own oil pan.
EPS in the UK developed their own dry sump pan for their 07k powered Pikes Peak Quattro car recently.

I'm also chasing down another bellhousing idea, but not sure yet if it'll work. Issam Abed has already ruled out VW Industrial bellhousings, they're too large for the tunnel.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

I had thought that the transverse engines sit at the same 15 deg that the longitudinal Audi engines, but someone recently told me that wasn't true for the 07K transverse. Regardless, standing it upright is a non issue so long as the pickup is correct. Most of the longitudinal VR6 engines stand them straight up
Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

KFZ Dutter Racing also put an 07K into a Audi B5, I believe they made their own pan.
https://www.facebook.com/KFZ-Dutter-...1202485588524/
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Looks like my other bellhousing idea would require a lengthening of the torque tube to trans coupler due to the increased bellhousing height. I believe a few people have done this for Audi V8 944 swaps so it's not unheard of, but you'd want to add another bearing into the bellhousing adapter for the torque tube shaft.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:35 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Looks like my other bellhousing idea would require a lengthening of the torque tube to trans coupler due to the increased bellhousing height. I believe a few people have done this for Audi V8 944 swaps so it's not unheard of, but you'd want to add another bearing into the bellhousing adapter for the torque tube shaft.
Hey Alex. Good to see you're back on your thread. Before I found your 07K thread, I was inspired by the cars that Motor Werks Racing is putting together. I respect that they don't want to offer the parts or kits for their 1.8t swap (they only build complete cars, in my understanding). I was pointed to your thread by my buddy Ben Lowe in Indy, who I think knows you. Even though the 07K is heavier than the 1.8T, I think it will be plenty light for a 400-500 whp 944. Plus, the noises these things make are far better than any 4-cyl, IMHO.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and for this project I've decided to take more of an engineering approach rather than a one-off fabrication special like the LS swap I did about 10 years ago. I think this engine is going to be fantastic in the 944 if all of the interface challenges can be solved nicely (e.g. oil pan, bellhousing, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, accessories, and engine management). I'm currently working through various ideas on all of those fronts, and problems that were fuzzy a couple months ago are starting to get clearer. If it works out, my hope is to design everything for small series production, use my car as the prototype, and eventually offer kits or individual parts needed for the swap. The objective is for these parts to be robustly designed to hold up in road racing, whether for a track day car or to compete in a series such as NASA GTS. It will be significantly lighter than the stock 951 engine, but will never be as light as the Motor Werks 1.8T swap. That's ok with me...

I think I saw that you had a 3D scan of the back of the engine at one point. Do you still have that file? That scan might be really helpful to design the bellhousing (or an adapter plate).

Do you have any thoughts on the importance of a dry sump system for a longitudinally mounted 07k road race engine? I'm on the fence... I feel like a properly designed oil pan should suffice and greatly reduce complexity and weight compared to a dry sump system. I see you mentioned a (German?) shop that did a dry sump system. Was that because they had a failure?

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-27-2018, 02:43 PM
audisport
Instructor

Hey Alex. Good to see you're back on your thread. Before I found your 07K thread, I was inspired by the cars that Motor Werks Racing is putting together. I respect that they don't want to offer the parts or kits for their 1.8t swap (they only build complete cars, in my understanding). I was pointed to your thread by my buddy Ben Lowe in Indy, who I think knows you. Even though the 07K is heavier than the 1.8T, I think it will be plenty light for a 400-500 whp 944. Plus, the noises these things make are far better than any 4-cyl, IMHO.

I'm a mechanical engineer, and for this project I've decided to take more of an engineering approach rather than a one-off fabrication special like the LS swap I did about 10 years ago. I think this engine is going to be fantastic in the 944 if all of the interface challenges can be solved nicely (e.g. oil pan, bellhousing, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, accessories, and engine management). I'm currently working through various ideas on all of those fronts, and problems that were fuzzy a couple months ago are starting to get clearer. If it works out, my hope is to design everything for small series production, use my car as the prototype, and eventually offer kits or individual parts needed for the swap. The objective is for these parts to be robustly designed to hold up in road racing, whether for a track day car or to compete in a series such as NASA GTS. It will be significantly lighter than the stock 951 engine, but will never be as light as the Motor Werks 1.8T swap. That's ok with me...

I think I saw that you had a 3D scan of the back of the engine at one point. Do you still have that file? That scan might be really helpful to design the bellhousing (or an adapter plate).

Do you have any thoughts on the importance of a dry sump system for a longitudinally mounted 07k road race engine? I'm on the fence... I feel like a properly designed oil pan should suffice and greatly reduce complexity and weight compared to a dry sump system. I see you mentioned a (German?) shop that did a dry sump system. Was that because they had a failure?

Thanks for your input!
Good to see someone else taking this up. I wanted to go this route, but the time involved to do it is massive and I don't have that right now. I spent enough time on my Audi S4 swap. And that was a bolt up transmission deal.

IF someone could figure out the two hardest parts, oil pan/cross member clearance so the hood can shut and torque tube bolt up with any clocking of the engine if necessary. The rest is very easy, it's basic fabrication exhaust intake skills.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
what if you just used a 968 front driveshaft stub to gain a few inches?

or Black Sea R&D could probably whip up longer 944 driveshafts since they make reproduction stock ones.

Quick Reply: VW/Audi 07K (2.5L 20V I5) Swap Thread