zerMATT951's re-assembly thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Man your engine bay is so bloody clean
That's what an entire day in the driveway with two bottles of Simple Green (degreaser) and one bottle of Eagle 1 etching aluminum mag wheel cleaner will do, plus WAY TOO MUCH MONEY spent on ceramic & powder coating will do. Not to mention new nuts and bolts on just about everything that you can see from the top (and lots you can see from underneath too!).

Edit: Oh, and I forgot - the engine bay was practically EMPTY when I did this, so as I re-assembled, each individual part got a personal cleaning, along with some wire wheel action if it needed it too...

Originally Posted by Paulyy
The other week my little cousin came over, loves his cars... we play GT5 together online sometimes lol. He asked me how much power my car was making. i answered saying somewhere around 270 horsepower at the wheels before i took it apart. Then he asked how about when you're finished, i said i hope its over 350 horsepower at the weeks. so i walked him outside showed him the old turbo and the new turbo and all the go faster bits. what i loved that he was asking questions i asked my dad when i was his age reading car magazines.
Good stuff! I've got a little brother who's half my age who has lived 1200+ miles away for most of his life, but every time we get together, we talk about cars, motorcycles, guns... you know... guy stuff. Since he's been able to drive, he's had a 2003 Mustang GT for a couple of years, then after seeing the error's in his thinking, he's got a late-model S2000 now. Now he jokes me about my "snail"... little does he know that my little "snail" will smoke his Honda.

Originally Posted by Crackership
My 6 year-old son comes and hangs out with me while I'm working on the car sometimes.... Just endless questions about everything. It's great. I'm not sure how much he understands, but he definitely remembers stuff... just the other day he was telling his mom that he knew what a control arm is... he doesn't know what it does, but he knows what it is. I keep waiting for the day that my daughter shows some interest, but she's pretty obsessed with becoming the next best-selling novelist (she's 9).

That's one cute kid, Matt. Beautiful car also. Garage isn't half-bad either. Life's not so bad, is it?
Thanks! That's what it's all about. I hope that she continues to want to hang out with me in the garage, but I know that will stop one day. I do want her to learn as much as she wants to about this stuff, just like I did from my dad. Not that he showed me how to take a car apart and put it back together, but he was always rebuilding old Indian motorcycles and Packards, so I know where I picked up the "itch" from.

Originally Posted by racerxrick
wait till they grow up...and you get to buy them a Corvette
I know... but with a girl, I'm hoping it's an Accord or Camry
Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I know... but with a girl, I'm hoping it's an Accord or Camry
right....and i saw her "driving" your car the other morning at Zims..
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by racerxrick
right....and i saw her "driving" your car the other morning at Zims..
Oh crap. Well, at least I don't let her have the keys!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
GARG
Rennlist Member

I just noticed and like the fact on your hoses air is red and water is blue.
nice I will have to do that one day
Gary
Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GARG
I just noticed and like the fact on your hoses air is red and water is blue.
nice I will have to do that one day
Gary
You know, I never thought of that before, and I'm the biggest proponent for all black under the hood (hides the dirt better and I prefer sleepers), but damn if this idea doesn't make my OCD side smile.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:40 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm glad that someone noticed the method to my madness! Probably a little OCD, plus I work in an industry where color-coding is helps to keep people from getting sick...
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

those are some sexy wheels, good taste.

A couple more pictures... my new turbo graphic (thanks Van!):

New wheels:

Getting new tires:

Cleaned up the garage:

My little girl helping daddy out with a wiring issue...

Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great pic...great job...it's gotta feel great having it back on the road
Old 10-22-2011, 02:42 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Installed braided brake lines last weekend and flushed the brake hydraulics, they feel really good now. Today I'm re-tensioning the belts and replacing the accessory belts with new Conti belts because I reused the old ones for reassembly.

Just swapped out the Rogue MAF pipe with an updates replacement that Joahua sent, now I need to swap the updated chip into the DME. Now I wish I had data logging because power delivery doesn't feel as smooth as I think it should at full boost and high RPM's. AFR's seem fine, but it's tough to watch all the time.

I'm going to try to get harness in the car tonight, but I may have to use my old bar because the PO didn't give me the bolt-in bar that goes with this Autopower roll bar. Anyone got one of those kickin' around?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I'm going to try to get harness in the car tonight, but I may have to use my old bar because the PO didn't give me the bolt-in bar that goes with this Autopower roll bar. Anyone got one of those kickin' around?
why? it's not like your planning to take it to the track tomorrow or something..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: zerMATT951's re-assembly thread