Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

zerMATT951's re-assembly thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I've got all of the DME / KLR wiring figured out now. I just need a good battery and I'll start trying some things out in the morning. I also need to locate instructions for M-Tune install as I didn't receive any in the box... need to figure out which jumper to clip and where to connect the MAP sensor.

To bed now... hoping to have warm air flowing out of the exhaust tomorrow!

Edit: Found the MAP & jumper instructions on Rogue's website, I can sleep easy now...

http://www.roguetuning.com/map_sensor_installation
Old 09-06-2011, 08:56 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's alive, it's alive! Started on the first try at 5:20PM CDT today. Everything is working great with the exception of a used turbo coolant pump I installed that has a slow drip (crap!).

I would like to thank the academy, my sponsors, Crackership for his moral support while we went through this together, and for Joshua at Rogue Tuning for a product that works as advertised, right out of the box!

I haven't driven it yet, but I plan to take it for a short spin in a few minutes. This will be the first time it's been on the road since August, 2005!

Woo hoo!!!

Edit: follow this link to a video for actual proof that it runs...

Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Awesome! It looks like you'll be on the road before me after all... I just noticed a rather substantial power steering leak
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Holy Cow!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well guys, it runs great, but I couldn't even back it out of the garage because the clutch was stuck. I ended up bumping it a couple times with the starter while in 1st gear and that did the trick.

I drove it gently for a half mile or so, then it felt like the parking brake engaged... something was slowing me down. I pulled over and did a quick check around the car and I couldn't see any obvious problems. So, I drove slowly back to the house, and it was pulling right. By the time I got to my street, I could smell hot brakes. I pulled into the garage and felt the wheels... my right front was toasty. I pointed a fan at it and called it a night. I'll tackle that one evening soon, or on Friday (taking the day off).

All-in-all, I'm extremely happy that it fired on the first try, oil pressure looks great, no crazy smoking, and it sounds good except for one tap-tap-tap that seems to be coming from under the car occasionally. The exhaust system is pretty crowded down there, so I may have some adjusting to do.

I did have a few oil drips from the cam tower on the 2nd heat cycle in the garage. I checked the torque on the lower cam tower bolts and found them nowhere near the 20nm that I had torqued them to a few weeks ago. Very strange. The gasket is a LR rubber coated aluminum gasket - maybe it just needs a re-torquing soon after the first heat cycle?

Last edited by zerMATT951; 09-06-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:11 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet!
Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Now that I've had a few minutes to gather my thoughts and reflect a little on this project, I am amazed that this car runs. I really felt at times like I was making little or no progress, but the end was worth it. I took my time, checked and rechecked everything that I did, and replaced or upgraded nearly everything that I touched so that I wouldn't be forced into going this far in anytime soon (I hope!!). I consider myself an ok mechanic, but I was in over my head when I pulled the head 5 or 6 years ago, but this board as a resource really saved me. I would not have been able to make it this far without the amazing resources we have on Rennlist, and I'm talking just as much about past active members who I leveraged with searches, to everyone that's still around after the many years, and the newer folks too. This an amazing online community, and I can honestly say that I would not have a Porsche at all today if it wasn't for Rennlist always being there for me through the years.

Now I've got to figure out the 16" tire situation. What little boost I did get today was obvious that my nearly brand new, yet 6 year old tires are TOAST.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ehh front brake is probably seized closed onto the disc.
it's good you got it up and running first shot
Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paulyy
ehh front brake is probably seized closed onto the disc.
I expect I'll be rebuilding the calipers soon, I just hope that I can get the pistons out!
Old 09-07-2011, 12:12 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, I almost forgot to comment about my M-Tune. For the little driving that I did today, I did get to feather the throttle at low revs and monitor the response. It's been a long time since I drove this car with the old Auththority MAF setup, but I do recall very poor off-boost performance. Rogue's s 3D maps really do make a difference just "tooling around" on and off the gas - like in the 10 to 75% range. There is more off-boost power, and the turbo spool seems to come on earlier and in a very linear fashion, not nearly as violent as the old setup.

I dug up 3 sets of old dyno runs the other day. One was stock, and the other two were after adding the LR 3" exhaust, dual port waste gate, and APE MAF & chips. Once I'm comfortable with the new setup, and after I get the wideband hooked up, I'll take it in for a few runs. Hopefully on the same dyno as one of my previous runs for comparison.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:18 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Matt!
I haven't been documenting my build but I am a few weeks away from firing mine up as well.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Congrats, sounds like you'll be enjoying the car for some time to come. One of the cleanest builds I've seen..
Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I got the right-front brakes fixed tonight. I had posted on Facebook that the car was running but had a stuck caliper, and Dave Mock (Superdave, 44andmoreparts, etc) commented that it was likely a collapsed brake line versus a stuck caliper. He told me that he was in Zims one day looking to buy rebuild kits for a set of calipers (16 @ $25 each!!) and he mentioned the problem to one of the techs. He told Dave that he sees way more collapsed brake lines than he sees stuck calipers, and that Dave should look there first. Sure enough, that was Dave's problem, and that was my problem today. I disconnected the flex line from the caliper and got just a few drips of fluid, but when I disconnected that from the hard line headed to the master cylinder, I got free-flowing brake fluid. I installed the new line, bled it, and now it's working fine!

I took the car out for a 30-ish mile drive tonight and everything feels good. I am impressed with the drivability of the M-Tune, it gives the motor much more life at low and cruising rpm's. I'll be driving it to work tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

AWESOME!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Oh, I almost forgot to comment about my M-Tune. For the little driving that I did today, I did get to feather the throttle at low revs and monitor the response. It's been a long time since I drove this car with the old Auththority MAF setup, but I do recall very poor off-boost performance. Rogue's s 3D maps really do make a difference just "tooling around" on and off the gas - like in the 10 to 75% range. There is more off-boost power, and the turbo spool seems to come on earlier and in a very linear fashion, not nearly as violent as the old setup.

I dug up 3 sets of old dyno runs the other day. One was stock, and the other two were after adding the LR 3" exhaust, dual port waste gate, and APE MAF & chips. Once I'm comfortable with the new setup, and after I get the wideband hooked up, I'll take it in for a few runs. Hopefully on the same dyno as one of my previous runs for comparison.
Dammit i love the violent spool up! well i guess the M-Tune will help with the spool on my alot larger turbo!

Good to see everything fixed and running.

Quick Reply: zerMATT951's re-assembly thread