Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
No worries mate. I am certainly not an expert.
Neither am i, but i double checked and there is 574 seeping out the edges, all is good
Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Pistons and oil pump is now on, balance shafts are ready to go in tomorrow. And possibly most of the other things will go on, like water pump, tensioner ect..
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
makes sense.

talking about Federal-Mogul and Geotez.. I haven't heard good stories from their piston rings thought. apparently they're, well rubbish (garbage)
Im nto sure where you heard that but the Geotez rings but thats what we use for virtually all of the builds we do. they are, well in our opinion, the absolute best available. over the past 12 years i have lost count how many rebuilds we have done, but we have had zero problems with the Federal Mogel rings.

Thanks Sean, Yes i installed new lindsey racing rings, chose them because we could gap them un like the porsche oem ones.

Good point about the pick up, thanks!
There is no need to gap the OEM rings if your using a standard bore size. they have always been spot on.

Have a chat to Rod, i think he has used the lindsey rings. Im not sure if they were successful. Rod you out there ? i could be wrong.
regards
Sean
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JET951
Im nto sure where you heard that but the Geotez rings but thats what we use for virtually all of the builds we do. they are, well in our opinion, the absolute best available. over the past 12 years i have lost count how many rebuilds we have done, but we have had zero problems with the Federal Mogel rings.

i read it on these forums, people described them as "good enough" or "could have been better"
something to do with the gaps being larger them OEM?

There is no need to gap the OEM rings if your using a standard bore size. they have always been spot on.

Have a chat to Rod, i think he has used the lindsey rings. Im not sure if they were successful. Rod you out there ? i could be wrong.
regards
Sean
reason being for the LR rings, if i needed for a honing but there wasn't. but each ring is gapped for each bore.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My LR rings were fine, we were clutching at straws there for a while, my oil burning was all down to lack of a restrictor on the turbo oil feed
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for jumping on Rod, i remembered a conversation, but couldnt quite remember the outcome.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thingo
My LR rings were fine, we were clutching at straws there for a while, my oil burning was all down to lack of a restrictor on the turbo oil feed
Originally Posted by JET951
Thanks for jumping on Rod, i remembered a conversation, but couldnt quite remember the outcome.
Thanks fellas
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just my two cents worth, I went through five sets of Goetz rings from LR during my last build. Every set had at least one ring that could not be gapped properly. I gave up and ordered factory OEM rings from Mike that had to be flown over from Germany and damn expensive $500+ dollars three years ago. After that they began making their own rings.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Just my two cents worth, I went through five sets of Goetz rings from LR during my last build. Every set had at least one ring that could not be gapped properly. I gave up and ordered factory OEM rings from Mike that had to be flown over from Germany and damn expensive $500+ dollars three years ago. After that they began making their own rings.
the OEM rings are expensive but are gapped perfectly..

the LR rings looked like to be good quality, and hopefully they are!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I've got most of the block together.. I've got the balance shafts, water pump, oil pump, oil filter, sensors, rollers, tensioner (will come back off again for the timing belt) and the turbo all back on the block.

My method of installing the pulleys for the balance shafts.

I got the split ring pliers with the 90 degree angle on them and just put them in the 2 holes and let them jam on something on the block. worked like a charm.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pauly, it looks to me like you may have the upper balance shaft sprocket indexed wrong. It looks like the 'O' is visible in the rectangular opening whereas it should be in one of the circlular openings instead. If you index the shafts and put on the belt on with them installed as-is you will have quite a bit of vibration on first startup!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
Pauly, it looks to me like you may have the upper balance shaft sprocket indexed wrong. It looks like the 'O' is visible in the rectangular opening whereas it should be in one of the circlular openings instead. If you index the shafts and put on the belt on with them installed as-is you will have quite a bit of vibration on first startup!
I'll double check that, but i'm pretty sure they can only go in 1 way as the 2 holes wont meet up so i cannot put the 2 prongs in there.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:55 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll double check that, but i'm pretty sure they can only go in 1 way as the 2 holes wont meet up so i cannot put the 2 prongs in there.
It definitely can be keyed two different ways. Pretty sure it is not correct as shown in the picture.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/eng-08.pdf

Looks like it is coming together.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

My error! thanks.

this is the correct way?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:39 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

My error! thanks.

this is the correct way?

Yes, looks good Paulyy for the top balance shaft. Bottom balance shaft looked good in your original picture.

Quick Reply: Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)