Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
From what I've heard it should be on it's way or close.

ps...That's Delrin, not Derlin.
Fixed it, tell my auto correct that!

Last i heard was 2 weeks ago he said he's cleaning it and rechecking it to make sure everything is 100% ready to bolt on. I'll send him an email to see what's happening.

I'm quite excited
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you intend on pushing the driveshaft back in once the bearings are installed? From experience you need to use a press to get it back in - you can't bang it in with a hammer as it will dislodge the bearings (unless you fix them in place from the side of the TT)
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
How do you intend on pushing the driveshaft back in once the bearings are installed? From experience you need to use a press to get it back in - you can't bang it in with a hammer as it will dislodge the bearings (unless you fix them in place from the side of the TT)
We're working on that issue now. I can get the bearings in and out in 30 min with the tools we made.
The bushes i made for some reason compressed more then what was needed so going to ream out the bush .2mm or more and hopefully it goes in nicely
Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pauly,

Looked through your entire topic now.. It looks like i'm on exact path as you are, except i'm building a 3L 16v.. And i don't have a turbo yet. I do have a view question:

You didnt put an extra brace on the oil pick-up tube, which in my reading, has been very highly recommended by most builders? Was there a specific reason not to do this or it wasn't necessary as you didn't remove the balance shafts?

The alternator brace you have is also for the AC pump which puts your alternator very high in your engine bay.. Not having an AC pump will give me way more clearance for a complete 4" inlet right?

The IC you've got. Where did it come from and what size is it? I'm still looking for a proper size one with the mounts on the right place and as i've found yours i really want that one!

Thanks,
Bas
Old 01-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Pauly,

Looked through your entire topic now.. It looks like i'm on exact path as you are, except i'm building a 3L 16v.. And i don't have a turbo yet. I do have a view question:

You didnt put an extra brace on the oil pick-up tube, which in my reading, has been very highly recommended by most builders? Was there a specific reason not to do this or it wasn't necessary as you didn't remove the balance shafts?

The alternator brace you have is also for the AC pump which puts your alternator very high in your engine bay.. Not having an AC pump will give me way more clearance for a complete 4" inlet right?

The IC you've got. Where did it come from and what size is it? I'm still looking for a proper size one with the mounts on the right place and as i've found yours i really want that one!

Thanks,
Bas
I don't see the need of a brace for the oil pick up. As i didn't change the weight of any moving parts, still have the balance shafts i just didn't worry about it.

That is correct, OR you can use a Quest alternator, there's a write up somewhere about them. They free up a lot of space.

The IC is a rx7 V mount by CX racing. It does the job, but if you're going for over 400 rwhp, go for something more better of quality, like a Garrett core or something custom but the price increases!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:55 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default oops

Oops, sorry stupid phone jumped back a year.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Oops, sorry stupid phone jumped back a year.
wondering why i was still installing my turbo?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Paulyy
I don't see the need of a brace for the oil pick up. As i didn't change the weight of any moving parts, still have the balance shafts i just didn't worry about it.

That is correct, OR you can use a Quest alternator, there's a write up somewhere about them. They free up a lot of space.

The IC is a rx7 V mount by CX racing. It does the job, but if you're going for over 400 rwhp, go for something more better of quality, like a Garrett core or something custom but the price increases!
Hmm oke, i've been hearing a lot of people saying that reinforcing the pick-up tube is a must as it seems to crack some times!.

I'll take a look about the quest alternator, but since i recently rebuilded my alternator i think i'm just letting it in the current place as i dont have an AC pump.

And i wont be going over 400rwhp. This would mean i need a serious gearbox and other than 951s rods (i have those now). 280 will probably be my standard setup and high boost will probably be at about 380. Also depending on the boost levels, but remains to be seen until i have my engine ready.. I'll be needing the sleeves in first!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Hmm oke, i've been hearing a lot of people saying that reinforcing the pick-up tube is a must as it seems to crack some times!.

I'll take a look about the quest alternator, but since i recently rebuilded my alternator i think i'm just letting it in the current place as i dont have an AC pump.

And i wont be going over 400rwhp. This would mean i need a serious gearbox and other than 951s rods (i have those now). 280 will probably be my standard setup and high boost will probably be at about 380. Also depending on the boost levels, but remains to be seen until i have my engine ready.. I'll be needing the sleeves in first!
It'll crack if theres something unbalanced causing vibrations. like balance shafts not lined up properly. I read something to do with the harmonic balancer from a 944s2 is needed for a 968 block when turbo-ing it or something like that, I know i read that somewhere

I would use aftermarket rods if i was doing a 3L build! you'll notice 400 rwhp is easy for a 3L 16v motor!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Oke.. I already have a s2 engine with the harmonic balancer so i wont be needing something extra! But just to be sure and as it is not a big deal i'll just put on the extra support.

I've been looking for aftermarket rods but the price on them is just crazy! And my engine builder was pretty sure these will hold until 500hp.. So for now i'll just get these in. If i ever have the money for a better tranny i'll get myself some other parts and a better clutch!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Oke.. I already have a s2 engine with the harmonic balancer so i wont be needing something extra! But just to be sure and as it is not a big deal i'll just put on the extra support.

I've been looking for aftermarket rods but the price on them is just crazy! And my engine builder was pretty sure these will hold until 500hp.. So for now i'll just get these in. If i ever have the money for a better tranny i'll get myself some other parts and a better clutch!
We say the limit is roughly for the rods is 400 rwhp. I've seen up to 500rwhp but we don't know how long it'll last.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Nothing interesting really. Re assembled the Torque Tube and damn it's quiet! I've never heard a 951 with a quiet torque tube so im very curious how different it'll sound. I definitely know how it sounds with finished bearings...
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

We say the limit is roughly for the rods is 400 rwhp. I've seen up to 500rwhp but we don't know how long it'll last.
That is what i've seen as well.. And as i'm not really aiming for extreme top-end power these rods will do fine for me!

Nothing interesting really. Re assembled the Torque Tube and damn it's quiet! I've never heard a 951 with a quiet torque tube so im very curious how different it'll sound. I definitely know how it sounds with finished bearings...
Can you tell us what bearings you've used? I have a TT laying around here which also needs a rebuild and as i'm going to replace my gearbox soon i might as well get the TT replaced at the same time!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

That is what i've seen as well.. And as i'm not really aiming for extreme top-end power these rods will do fine for me!

Can you tell us what bearings you've used? I have a TT laying around here which also needs a rebuild and as i'm going to replace my gearbox soon i might as well get the TT replaced at the same time!
Indeed i can. brand is: *** part number is: 6006.2ZR.C4.J22R
Old 01-17-2013, 03:19 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Filled my trans mount, pretty straight forward.

I used window sealant, Sika Flex. Cannot remember the number. But pretty straight forward, fill it with the gun. i taped it so i could push it down with my fingers with out making a mess and it doesnt go everywhere when i filled it

Quick Reply: Pauly's go quicker project. (Data Logs!)