Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche 944 Turbo restomod

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 04:19 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

I will have more pictures soon!

Just a quick note on the tuning capabilities with the AugTronic ECU.
I have only done two short drives to have a look at the base map and the way I can adjust fueling. Tomorrow I will have someone assisting me. Driving and tuning is not a good combination.

The base map is on the rich side (by design). Live tuning is very easy! I have hooked up a Zeitronix Wideband to the AugTronic ECU and the ECU is capable of auto adjusting. You set up a map with target AFR's and the ECU tries to match that AFR. That part is disabled for the moment. I will try to get as close as possible without auto adjusting.
The software can auto-select the active cell in the map which makes it very easy to adjust.

The log file created by AugTronic ECU contains tons of information. All that information can be analysed perfectly with MegaLogViewer HD.
The AugTronic ECU does not have a log viewer and frankly I wouldn't spend any time creating a log file viewer when MegaLogViewer HD is available.

This weekend I will see if I can find some interesting screengrabs and post it here.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:50 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

Very Nice! Where are you doing this build? In your own shop?
Old 10-06-2020, 05:55 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Very Nice! Where are you doing this build? In your own shop?
Yes, previously I rented a unit with car lift, but when a neighboring unit had a fire (and I had to take my car apart again to clean all the smoke deposits) I transported my car to my (small) garage at home. At that point most of the car was done, but I still had to put in the engine.

Update:
It has been raining the last few weeks, so I was not able to take the car out for taking care of the fuel maps. I did mange to cleanup the idle map. The idle was dancing, but I was able to correct the fueling and idle screw position.
I have ordered new steering rack parts and will have my manual steering rack rebuild. While driving I noticed sounds (while steering) which pointed into the direction of steering rack issues.
With a bit of luck I will be able to tune the off boost fuel maps this month, but when not the car will be sitting in the garage until March next year.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:24 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
Yes, previously I rented a unit with car lift, but when a neighboring unit had a fire (and I had to take my car apart again to clean all the smoke deposits) I transported my car to my (small) garage at home. At that point most of the car was done, but I still had to put in the engine.

Update:
It has been raining the last few weeks, so I was not able to take the car out for taking care of the fuel maps. I did mange to cleanup the idle map. The idle was dancing, but I was able to correct the fueling and idle screw position.
I have ordered new steering rack parts and will have my manual steering rack rebuild. While driving I noticed sounds (while steering) which pointed into the direction of steering rack issues.
With a bit of luck I will be able to tune the off boost fuel maps this month, but when not the car will be sitting in the garage until March next year.

Can you show us pics of your interior? Has it been put in? It would be awesome to see a restomoded interior. Amazing work.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:15 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Can you show us pics of your interior? Has it been put in? It would be awesome to see a restomoded interior. Amazing work.
The interior has been put in. The seats will be replaced this winter with refurbished sport seats.

A ton off pictures on https://www.bakkumit.nl/944ls3/Gallery/Loading
Old 11-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

y Frank@Work.. you're driving the restoration? That beautiful white one? Sorry.. seem to have missed the thread lately. That work you done is special
Yes, I have made some miles with the car and noticed some minor issues. The AugTronic ECU is a blast! Very tunable and very easy to work with (after ditching the BlueTooth connection due to a failing connection). Direct (USB) connection to the laptop works best for me.
I am working on taking care of the issues, but the season is over (in The Netherlands). Expect to be driving in March 2021 (if the weather allows it).

The issues I am/have been working on:
  • Some play in the manual steering rack; send it out to be checked and got it back after a minor adjustment. The screw which pushes the rack to the pinion was too loose. Ordered the last steering shaft from 944online (but did not put it on the car). Put in new steering rods with new rod ends.
  • Tracked down a small oil leak in the lower oil cooler line. Fixed it with vulcanising tape (for now). Ordered a brand new (ridiculous expensive) oil line which I will put in when I change the running-in oil for the normal oil.
  • Still tracking down a small oil leak near the thermostat/oil filter housing. Hard to see where the oil comes from.
  • Tracking down a resonance. Found the 3" exhaust hitting the protecting plate at the flywheel. Fixed it, but still the resonating sound. Took off the inlet manifold and the flywheel sensors yesterday. I would like to re-gap the sensors. However, no indication on the sensors that something has been hitting a sensor.
I have pictures, but have to make time to upload them.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:38 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

• Some play in the manual steering rack; send it out to be checked and got it back after a minor adjustment. The screw which pushes the rack to the pinion was too loose.
Nice to see you're out driving. Glad you fixed the play in your steering rack; mine has a little bit of on-center play but I have found that the rubber bushings--new--aren't exactly the tightest connection:

Also.. I can't believe just how much the adjustment of the front wheel bearings can affect at the steering wheel. It's precision surgery: I have adjusted them a few times now, and finally it feels solid & drives straight and smooth. Each time, I would say the adjustment is no more than 15-20 degrees rotation of the nut.. and I've ended up tighter than the instructions allow (ie. can't move the washer)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:54 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
[cut] mine has a little bit of on-center play [cut]
Mine has also a little bit of on-center play. The rebuilder told me to ignore it, because the steering rack is in good condition with the exception of a tiny bit of on-center play. Only way to get rid of that play is to source another rack without the play.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:09 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Holy Shytte, i am in awe of this project.
Thanks for posting your work and progress.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:30 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 968 Posts

Really a superb build want to come to ny to do mine free room and board and I’m in NYC you came build it anytime
Mike
Old 11-29-2020, 03:01 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Mine has also a little bit of on-center play. The rebuilder told me to ignore it, because the steering rack is in good condition with the exception of a tiny bit of on-center play. Only way to get rid of that play is to source another rack without the play.
I really suggest playing with the wheel bearing adjustment. I have found crazy differences in steering and front-end behaviour from ridiculously minor changes in the nut. Personally, I got the best results following Mike's video (note this ends up tighter than the factory procedure):

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 11-29-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:25 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

I hear you and I will try out different wheel bearing settings. Nevertheless, my steering rack (on center) play was diagnosed with the steering rack on a workbench. I can't imagine I can get rid of that play by adjusting the wheel bearings.

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I really suggest playing with the wheel bearing adjustment. I have found crazy differences in steering and front-end behaviour from ridiculously minor changes in the nut. Personally, I got the best results following Mike's video (note this ends up tighter than the factory procedure):

https://youtu.be/GXLQSENcetk
Old 12-21-2020, 02:46 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

I'm having an issue (again) with the speed and reference sensors. I think the reference sensor mark is hitting the sensor, but cannot see any damage on the sensor. I have taken out the sensors and removed the sensor bracket (after removing the heater valve which was in the way). It seems when I gap the speed sensor as per WSH the reference sensor mark is hitting the sensor. I'm a bit fed up with the crap location for the sensors.
I have asked the AugTronic ECU supplier if the system will work with a Clewett 60-2 trigger wheel setup. Repositioning the sensor to the front of the engine will probably keep me sane.

Are there any drawbacks on using a 60-2 setup on the Porsche 944 Turbo?
Old 12-21-2020, 02:58 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

https://944store.com/product/dg-spee...-gapping-tool/

do you have the little spacer/washer installed?
Old 12-21-2020, 04:34 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Yes there are two sizes of "figure 8" shim.. .3mm and 2mm. Perhaps you have the wrong one?

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Turbo restomod