Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche 944 Turbo restomod

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank@Work

In the mean time I have to look into an oil leak near the thermostat housing.
I can't recall but I'm pretty sure you put in a new oil thermostat housing seal? I noticed that the German Guy "irene" on Youtube puts a sealant around that seal on install...
Old 04-17-2020, 02:13 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I can't recall but I'm pretty sure you put in a new oil thermostat housing seal? I noticed that the German Guy "irene" on Youtube puts a sealant around that seal on install...
Yes, I did and I have found the problem.
I have followed all torque procedures for everything and somehow the camshaftwheel housing was not tight enough. Oil was seeping along the big black o-ring OR the very small seal you have to put on the back of the camwheel housing.
I always put some oil on o-rings and seals before installing.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by Breakaway944
Not useless...I was going to order an a tune today. If you want to sell your a tune I am looking to buy one.
I'm located in the Netherlands. It will be more affordable for you to order from LR. If I send you the A-Tune chip you will have to pay import duties and taxes.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

I have managed to put in the AugTronic ECU with EBC and wasted spark ignition. Got the engine running but I am having problems with oil leaks. I already replaced the brand new front seals with new seals, but still have an oil leak at the lower balance shaft seal and at the back of the cam cover. I did make sure to install everything according to the manual.

Can it be that my OPRV is stuck and the oil pressure is to high? My oil pressure indicator is maxed out.
How can I diagnose a stuck OPRV?
Old 05-24-2020, 06:19 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Usually oil being pushed past the seals is due to high crankcase pressure, not oil pressure. I would double check the crankcase vent hose is flowing freely. Maybe a cap, or some tape was left in place when assembling.
Old 05-24-2020, 06:56 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

I have managed to put in the AugTronic ECU with EBC and wasted spark ignition. Got the engine running but I am having problems with oil leaks. I already replaced the brand new front seals with new seals, but still have an oil leak at the lower balance shaft seal and at the back of the cam cover. I did make sure to install everything according to the manual.

Can it be that my OPRV is stuck and the oil pressure is to high? My oil pressure indicator is maxed out.
How can I diagnose a stuck OPRV?

Not Stuck, Just have the wires reversed on the Oil pressure sender.. Switch them.. :-)
Old 05-25-2020, 07:01 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Not Stuck, Just have the wires reversed on the Oil pressure sender.. Switch them.. :-)
I think that is not the problem, because I see the oil pressure build up after starting the engine.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:20 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
Usually oil being pushed past the seals is due to high crankcase pressure, not oil pressure. I would double check the crankcase vent hose is flowing freely. Maybe a cap, or some tape was left in place when assembling.
I do have a brand new oil/air seperator.
I will look into this. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:28 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

I have removed the distribution covers (front & rear) and will start the car tomorrow to exactly locate the oil leak(s).
The belt(s) threw the oil around inside the covers making it hard to locate the source. The oil ended up at the bottom of the cover making me think it was the lower balance shaft seal.

We will see this weekend what the problem is.

On a positive side note: the AutTronic ECU with the MAP sensor makes it possible to start the car without the airfilterbox (with the AFM replacement pipe). This gives a lot more room and makes it easier to visualy inspect the front of the engine while running.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:25 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

The problem is the small seal at the back of the cam gear gear cover. I used a version from the Reinz gasket set (white) which seams to be too high. I installed the cam gear cover and torqued it down to spec, but somehow that did not seal the small gasket. The oil was p'ing out of the back of the cam gear housing and managed to end up within the distribution cover spraying it all over the place. The lowest point was near the lower balance shaft and below the crankshaft.

Parts are orderded. Next week I might be able to start tuning the engine (AugTronic ECU).
Old 05-30-2020, 04:04 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The problem is the small seal at the back of the cam gear gear cover. I used a version from the Reinz gasket set (white) which seams to be too high. I installed the cam gear cover and torqued it down to spec, but somehow that did not seal the small gasket. The oil was p'ing out of the back of the cam gear housing and managed to end up within the distribution cover spraying it all over the place. The lowest point was near the lower balance shaft and below the crankshaft.

Parts are orderded. Next week I might be able to start tuning the engine (AugTronic ECU).
Glad you've found it. I used that same seal without an issue.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Glad you've found it. I used that same seal without an issue.
I don't think the problem is the seal, but the torque specs.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Tomorrow I can start the engine again and check for oil leaks.

For now some pictures of the AugTronic ECU install:

MAP sensor on the right and EBC on the left:

Temperature sensor in the intercooler piping in front of the throttle vavle:

Wated spark ignition coils:

AFM replacement pipe:

Modified ECU (AugTronic ECU):

All installed:

The following 3 users liked this post by Frank@Work:
JET951 (06-02-2020), PF (06-02-2020), Voith (06-05-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 12:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Great work! Why are you using a non turbo DME?
Old 06-02-2020, 02:47 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Great work! Why are you using a non turbo DME?
When using the wasted spark option the AugTronic ECU is not capable of retaining the KLR knock control. They are working on an aftermarket knock control to work with the AugTronic ECU. I have several DME’s on the shelf and preferred to keep the 944 Turbo DME and had a non Turbo DME converted to the AugTronic ECU.

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Turbo restomod