Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche 944 Turbo restomod

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 12:50 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

It does sound like it is running on 3 cylinders but it isn't. The engine did idle without problem (idle stabilizer was disabled). Injectors are brand new, but obviously not tested. Fuel pressure is spot on.
I will check the vacuum. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:07 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
Yesterday I have tried to start the engine.
At first the engine turned over, but did not start.
I checked the DME relay and switched the connectors on the reference sensor and the speed sensor. Previously I had checked which connector was for the speed sensor and which was for the reference sensor. Therefore I did not expect the engine to start.

To my surprise the engine did start, but ran like crap. I did not see a tacho signal on my dashboard.

Today
I found out why my engine was running like crap. The camshaft was 180 degrees of. How I managed to get this wrong I don't know. Checked it, double checked it, tripple checked it and somehow at some point I screwed up. Must have been the booze.

Nevertheless, Moving on.

The currently installed camhousing with camshaft is old and would have been replaced as soon as the engine was running. At this point I know the engine will run and therefore I will replace the camshaft housing with another camshaft housing with a brand new camshaft and brand new lifters.

My question:

Is it possible that I will have to switch the speed and reference sensor connectors again? Or can I be sure the sensors are hooked up correctly and the problem with no tacho is somewhere else?

Once in a while if my car sits for a long time I start it up... No tach... Smack the top of the dash and Presto... Comes right back to life... Hasn't happened since it is in a temperature controlled environment.. 30 year old contacts...
Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by shortyboy
If it started but ran like crap, problem lies somewhere else. Camshaft will be 180 degrees out as it spins twice as fast as crankshaft, so I believe you are good. How bad does it idle or it does not idle at all? Could be a massive vacuum leak, faulty or not firing injector. Does it sound like its running on 3 cylinders?
1 rotation for the camshaft = 2 rotations of the crankshaft.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:55 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
1 rotation for the camshaft = 2 rotations of the crankshaft.

Correct, I always get the two mixed up. Just rotate crank again and line up timing marks to make sure, Ive made this mistake too thinking it was 180 degrees off.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:55 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

This is the best reading in quarantine yet. Congrats on getting this far!!! You are a patient man Frank. And your 951 is outstanding.

Did you fix the wrong-pointing HVAC sliders yet?
Old 03-23-2020, 12:47 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
This is the best reading in quarantine yet. Congrats on getting this far!!! You are a patient man Frank. And your 951 is outstanding.

Did you fix the wrong-pointing HVAC sliders yet?

Thank you, and yes, I did.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:11 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Frank was thinking about the tach issue while I was setting up an engine... The 1st Reference sensor gets gapped and the Tach sensor then follows at the same gap, however.. There is a spacer under the sensor for the Ring gear.. If that spacer isn't in there then it is possible its too close to the ring gear and not reading?
Old 03-24-2020, 01:41 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

...not to mention that there are *two* different spacers used and they are quite a bit different in thickness...

Confused by the specs, I was lucky to have both spacers and just used the one that gave the best result
Old 03-27-2020, 11:39 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Frank was thinking about the tach issue while I was setting up an engine... The 1st Reference sensor gets gapped and the Tach sensor then follows at the same gap, however.. There is a spacer under the sensor for the Ring gear.. If that spacer isn't in there then it is possible its too close to the ring gear and not reading?
Thank you. I will look into it. It would not surprise me if this is the problem.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Another thing to look at to try and get the tach working is the dme harness. I believe a eight pin flat connector comes off the main dme harness, in pass footwell, and connects to the dash. It also contains signal for boost and "low oil level" so if these are working this is not the problem.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:00 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by Breakaway944
Another thing to look at to try and get the tach working is the dme harness. I believe a eight pin flat connector comes off the main dme harness, in pass footwell, and connects to the dash. It also contains signal for boost and "low oil level" so if these are working this is not the problem.
BINGO!

Thanks a bunch.

The connector was not connected. The car is running, the tach works and the low oil level light doesn’t come on anymore.
Yesterday I did re-gap the sensors because I did not measured a correct resistance at the DME connector.

The temperature gauge on the dash doesn’t work. Will check the wiring and hope I don’t have to replace the sensor.

The car runs so I can start modifying the DME for the A-Tune chips.
The following users liked this post:
bald_joint (04-18-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 05:09 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Looking at the wiring schematics the not working temperature gauge might be a not connected connector as well.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:15 AM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 183 Posts

The "easy" fualts are always a joy!
Old 04-17-2020, 03:24 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

A quick (pictureless) update:

The car is running, but running on three cylinders. The no. 3 injector is suspect. All injectors are brand new, so no idea what the problem is. I have checked the wiring and that is working. In stead of testing with another injector I have chosen to go ahead and order an Augment Automorive Augtronic ECU. I had that planned for the end of 2020, but I think my yearly visit to Florida isn't going to happen this year. So, more money to spend on the Porsche. I know, it's a very expensive way to tackle the problem with one injector. :-) Even more so, because the Augtronic ECU renders the A-Tune chip I have on the shelf useless.

The stuff I have ordered:
- AugTronic ECU
- Modern injectors
- Wasted Spark ignition
- Electronic Boost controller

Will arrive somewhere this month.

In the mean time I have to look into an oil leak near the thermostat housing.
Still waiting on spring adapters for the Bilstein coilovers.
Managed (yesterday) to adjust the door handle lever on the drivers door. Had to take the window out and what not more. Than realized that I probably have to check the passengers door handle as well. I noticed I had put in the clinch pin upside down. This will at some point result in the clinch pin falling out.

So, still lots to do, but we are getting there.

I hope I still have enough money left to replace my 17" cup wheels with the more period correct 16" Fuchs wheels (satin black).

Old 04-17-2020, 09:55 AM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Even more so, because the Augtronic ECU renders the A-Tune chip I have on the shelf useless.
Not useless...I was going to order an a tune today. If you want to sell your a tune I am looking to buy one.

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Turbo restomod