Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche 944 Turbo restomod

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 08:40 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Second attempt to install the Tial wastegate failed!

Somehow the pipes don't line up. I suspect the piece of pipe that was replaced on the stock wastegate tie in (wastegate outlet) has been welded in under a different angle.
I've ordered another stock tie in pipe to compare and will try again.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:30 AM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
Second attempt to install the Tial wastegate failed!

Somehow the pipes don't line up. I suspect the piece of pipe that was replaced on the stock wastegate tie in (wastegate outlet) has been welded in under a different angle.
I've ordered another stock tie in pipe to compare and will try again.
I remember having a lot of frustration installing my Tial the first time. I’m sure you’ll get it all worked out and you can resume this awesome build. Cheers!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:07 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

That was me being stupid! No need to grind the plates, just put them in the correct location.
Probably not stupid after all!

Last night I went back to the drawing board with the Tial 38 and an original wastegate, The only way the adapter plates line up with the original wastegate is when I position the plates in a way that normally would not fit. Grinding of 2 mm from the larger adapter plate is required. Later this week I will try to add pictures. Let's hope my third go at installing the Tial will be successful.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:09 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Probably not stupid after all!

Last night I went back to the drawing board with the Tial 38 and an original wastegate, The only way the adapter plates line up with the original wastegate is when I position the plates in a way that normally would not fit. Grinding of 2 mm from the larger adapter plate is required. Later this week I will try to add pictures. Let's hope my third go at installing the Tial will be successful.
I'm going through this right now. The Tial works backwards. The piston needs to be installed facing the cross over pipe so its oriented properly.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:41 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I'm going through this right now. The Tial works backwards. The piston needs to be installed facing the cross over pipe so its oriented properly.
Thank you!!!
Old 01-27-2020, 07:55 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tial wastegates install in an opposite orientation to the stock wastegate.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Yes! The wastegate is in! The problem was the the 2,25" pipe which was welded crooked to the wastegate exit pipe. Ordered another one and used a different approach. I have shortened the wastegate tie-in pipe on the Lindsey Racing 3" exhaust. This way the flattened part of the wastegate exit pipe would not reach the round 2,25" tie-in pipe on the LR exhaust.

Pictures from the installed wastegate will follow.

For now:

Old 03-08-2020, 03:29 PM
Frank@Work
Pro

Time for an update!
"Found some money" to get going again. Almost there! Next weekend I probably will turn the key (and keep my fingers crossed).

Lots of new parts arrived:

Did not waste any time getting it on the Porsche:

The following users liked this post:
JET951 (03-10-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 06:06 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Your build is absolutely amazing, don't us those magna core leads though they are junk. if they are the carbon leads they run different resistance for each length, the connectors are rubbish. The original Buru stainless leads are the best. Each lead has 3k ohms
Regards
Sean
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
Your build is absolutely amazing, don't us those magna core leads though they are junk. if they are the carbon leads they run different resistance for each length, the connectors are rubbish. The original Buru stainless leads are the best. Each lead has 3k ohms
Regards
Sean
I second this , My magnacore cables got trown in the trash quickly as the spark plug boots would tear during the second plug change. I had great Luck with oem Beru cables even though they dont look as hot.

*edit* This was 6 years ago maybe they have improved quality since.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:15 AM
slinger569
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just an amazing job.
I have to ask, how are you so skilled to take on such a project? Are you a mechanic or assembly worker? Just curious because this is outstanding work and such attention to details.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:58 AM
Teddy952
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank... Fantastic work! What camera you using to take these pictures?
Old 03-10-2020, 10:43 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Originally Posted by slinger569
Are you a mechanic or assembly worker?
I work as a Business Intelligence Developer (programmer). I have always been fascinated with working on cars. Have been tinkering with cars for the past 30 years. Have been reading a lot and watch a lot of YouTube vlogs / DIscovery Channel (car related). My motto's: just take your time and look before you leap!

Originally Posted by Teddy952
What camera you using to take these pictures?
Samsung Galaxy S9 phone,
Old 03-16-2020, 10:14 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Yesterday I have tried to start the engine.
At first the engine turned over, but did not start.
I checked the DME relay and switched the connectors on the reference sensor and the speed sensor. Previously I had checked which connector was for the speed sensor and which was for the reference sensor. Therefore I did not expect the engine to start.

To my surprise the engine did start, but ran like crap. I did not see a tacho signal on my dashboard.

Today
I found out why my engine was running like crap. The camshaft was 180 degrees of. How I managed to get this wrong I don't know. Checked it, double checked it, tripple checked it and somehow at some point I screwed up. Must have been the booze.

Nevertheless, Moving on.

The currently installed camhousing with camshaft is old and would have been replaced as soon as the engine was running. At this point I know the engine will run and therefore I will replace the camshaft housing with another camshaft housing with a brand new camshaft and brand new lifters.

My question:

Is it possible that I will have to switch the speed and reference sensor connectors again? Or can I be sure the sensors are hooked up correctly and the problem with no tacho is somewhere else?

Old 03-16-2020, 11:38 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Yesterday I have tried to start the engine.
At first the engine turned over, but did not start.
I checked the DME relay and switched the connectors on the reference sensor and the speed sensor. Previously I had checked which connector was for the speed sensor and which was for the reference sensor. Therefore I did not expect the engine to start.

To my surprise the engine did start, but ran like crap. I did not see a tacho signal on my dashboard.

Today
I found out why my engine was running like crap. The camshaft was 180 degrees of. How I managed to get this wrong I don't know. Checked it, double checked it, tripple checked it and somehow at some point I screwed up. Must have been the booze.

Nevertheless, Moving on.

The currently installed camhousing with camshaft is old and would have been replaced as soon as the engine was running. At this point I know the engine will run and therefore I will replace the camshaft housing with another camshaft housing with a brand new camshaft and brand new lifters.

My question:

Is it possible that I will have to switch the speed and reference sensor connectors again? Or can I be sure the sensors are hooked up correctly and the problem with no tacho is somewhere else?
If it started but ran like crap, problem lies somewhere else. Camshaft will be 180 degrees out as it spins twice as fast as crankshaft, so I believe you are good. How bad does it idle or it does not idle at all? Could be a massive vacuum leak, faulty or not firing injector. Does it sound like its running on 3 cylinders?

Quick Reply: Porsche 944 Turbo restomod